Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Rides mounted on 24 and 26mm rims

Finally, a useful post!

Any way to measure the OD of the tires at the edge and in the center?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
What is stopping the Turnigy motor from being approved by ROAR? I am guessing the only thing is that it hasn't been sent in for testing. If that is the case you should be talking to the manufacturer to have them send one in to be approved. Maybe them knowing that it can't be ran in a lot of classes until it is approved and it will effect sales for them they might do it. Now if it has been sent in and failed testing... Don't know what to tell you.
I'm not overly concerned about the motor to be honest. ROAR approved or not doesn't really matter to me. It was just unlucky timing on my part, I'll eventually get another 21.5 and will continue to promote USGT locally.

It's a fun class and the racing was all very close and scale! The bodies that are out there are great and now with 1 tire makes things alot easier.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
I for one am one of those racers that will spend the extra money ...us gt is great and seems to be only getting better
Yes, of course it's getting better, but only for those who have deep pockets and are willing to spend the extra money. This doesn't foster equality nor make it practical for those getting into the hobby.

I suspect the faster motors at my track may be individuals who went through many different motors until they found a fast one too.

My favorite rule that I read on some other clubs rulebook a while back went something like this:

"The winner of the main is forced to auction their motor at a minimum price for the replacement cost of their motor. Other drivers may bid until the motor is sold. Driver receives replacement cost for the motor and proceeds above replacement cost from the auction go back into the club. If nobody bids on the motor, then the winner may keep his motor."
Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by .crispy
Finally, a useful post!

Any way to measure the OD of the tires at the edge and in the center?
will try but left my calipers at the shop
Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Yes, of course it's getting better, but only for those who have deep pockets and are willing to spend the extra money. This doesn't foster equality nor make it practical for those getting into the hobby.

I suspect the faster motors at my track may be individuals who went through many different motors until they found a fast one too.

My favorite rule that I read on some other clubs rulebook a while back went something like this:

"The winner of the main is forced to auction their motor at a minimum price for the replacement cost of their motor. Other drivers may bid until the motor is sold. Driver receives replacement cost for the motor and proceeds above replacement cost from the auction go back into the club. If nobody bids on the motor, then the winner may keep his motor."
This will always be the case. Its risk vs reward, you put up your money on what you think will help make you faster. Does not always pay out in the end but sometimes it does.

There's one guy that runs with us who is very fast but I would NEVER buy the motor out of his car for a variety of reasons
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong

Diving skills and setup are 95% of the game here... If you can't drive consistent and tight for the whole race then there is really no reason to worry about the best motor. As soon as your car needs a marshal chances are very high you lost the race... People getting into the hobby will quickly learn they need to work on their driving skills and should realize it is not the motor holding them back from winning and hitting the boards is the cause. I let some of the fast drivers test my cars to help me with my setup and normally they can drive .1-.2 second faster laps then I can with it...

I am willing to bet that if you spent the $90 on a Novak Vulcan or an ORCA TX you would be have a faster car then a lower end/quality $45 motor. I mean there has to be a reason it is only $45... R/C is not a cheap hobby and more power to you if you can win with out spending that much money. Even if there was a spec $45 motor some people will buy 20 of them and keep the best one. People are always looking for a competitive advantage and that will NEVER go away.

I don't remember the last time I won an A main (or if I ever have...) I have fun racing and don't worry about the rest. I just hope to finish in the middle of the pack or better and if I do I am happy.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ill take some blame here, but most of it falls on Trinity....what?, you didn't see that coming?...lol...

I was at a crossroad on any 21.5 for the Southern Nats and when I seen 1st hand the way some of the "outlaw" motors ran against normal ROAR motors...wow what a misuse of rules...bottom line my Novak Outlaw Vulcan is faster than some 17.5's...is that fair?...heck no. Sorry the company you invested $45 into a combo to run USGT isn't legal on a National level. That's $45 compared to some that spent $100's...

I can honestly see your frustration in spending money and not being able to use it or it being to slow or not hooking up, or the body not handling or any of the things we all do to get it right....but really that's whats this last 2-4 pages is all about, saving money.

look at it like this...IF you are attending one of the National events or an event that's running National rules, its a simple set of tires that most would get, rather Rides or HPI or whatever to run that weekend anyway. Most ever racer I seen was running a new set of tires at my event, cause tread was part of tech....so you would have to get a set anyway

Also...HPI tires never was a spec tire for USGT (that's RCGT), the decision has nothing to do with their lack of Xpatterns. FYI...the D-compounds are out there, the Pros/Belted are hard to find.

Rules changes since 2010

ROAR motors
No 12th scale bodies or type
Spec tire(2014)

2 of those are on me...whats the big deal?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
Diving skills and setup are 95% of the game here... If you can't drive consistent and tight for the whole race then there is really no reason to worry about the best motor. As soon as your car needs a marshal chances are very high you lost the race... People getting into the hobby will quickly learn they need to work on their driving skills and should realize it is not the motor holding them back from winning and hitting the boards is the cause. I let some of the fast drivers test my cars to help me with my setup and normally they can drive .1-.2 second faster laps then I can with it...

I am willing to bet that if you spent the $90 on a Novak Vulcan or an ORCA TX you would be have a faster car then a lower end/quality $45 motor. I mean there has to be a reason it is only $45... R/C is not a cheap hobby and more power to you if you can win with out spending that much money. Even if there was a spec $45 motor some people will buy 20 of them and keep the best one. People are always looking for a competitive advantage and that will NEVER go away.

I don't remember the last time I won an A main (or if I ever have...) I have fun racing and don't worry about the rest. I just hope to finish in the middle of the pack or better and if I do I am happy.
very well said!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

take a break and post your USGT rides

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...iscussion.html
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
take a break and post your USGT rides

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...iscussion.html
My flying M vette not painted yet, tires not glued, diggity XLR8V2 not rebuilt/setup yet BUT running USGT this weekend
Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'm happy as well with a spec tire.

Been racing gt3 (tamiya silver cans) for little over two years here locally and also the hpi x patterns. The tires lasted me almost two years and was great not having to buy tires every month. We switched to brushless early this year and I was not happy with having to upgrade my f1 and gt3 to 21.5 at the same time. Now that I think its cheaper in long run, more efficient. I switched to sorex slicks since everyone runs those and it gets pricy quick at $50 a pop!! If here locally we follow the tire spec (I hope) than our costs will cut half of what we got to spend every month. At least it will save me 100 bucks every month not having to buy new pre mounts every time weather changes here since its either hot or cold or foggy outside. I remember last year we had a light sprinkle and my threaded hpi tires were able to get me a win when everyone else was buying 24, 28.

Excuse my rookie question (don't come here often at all) is it all ustg 21.5 motors or only speedtech runs gt10 with 17.5? I signed up dor tamiya track this sat and I come to find out its 17.5 with spoke wheels and gt body, which I have.

Last edited by Mr.juarez; 10-23-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The Turnigy motor is an unknown. Is it up to ROAR spec ? Nobody knows. This really was not as big an issue until Novak started selling "Outlaw" motors which FOR SURE are not ROAR legal and are definitely faster. To be fair, getting rid of the Outlaw mean getting rid of everything not ROAR approved. Why should Turnigy get a pass based on the fact that Hobby King says it's a 21.5? The UF1 MIDWEST uses 21.5 motors in their F1 cars. Last year they did not say ROAR approved, and some guys ran the Turnigy motors, including some guys who were very fast. Right away, the cries of "that motor is not legal" came out. Was it illegal? No one tore one down to find out, but they were not slow either. For this year they have gone to ROAR motors.

Is this a big issue? Only if your track director decides to be very strict or you attend national type big events. If the guys you race with are ok with your motor, then its ok at your track. I just don't want to let the standard rule set have loopholes. I also don't want to replicate a motor testing regime that ROAR has going already.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Rides mounted on 24 and 26mm rims

The one on the right does look a bit wonky. I imagine the insert would slip around in the tire with that extra 2mm of room. No telling what your contact patch might do under load. I really want the cosmetic choices from the 26mm rims, but I have to trust Kevin K's judgement on the stretching of the rims. Still I would like to see how that configuration would handle.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez
Excuse my rookie question (don't come here often at all) is it all ustg 21.5 motors or only speedtech runs gt10 with 17.5? I signed up dor tamiya track this sat and I come to find out its 17.5 with spoke wheels and gt body, which I have.
All USGT is 21.5 motors. You said above gt10 Are you talking about GT1 that is ran at the Tamiya TCS races? That is restricted to only tamiya cars with only tamiya parts, bodies, and tires. All the rules for TCS are here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/rules.php#.UmipMhYhYvw
  • GT1 is 13.5
  • GT2 is 17.5
  • GT3 is 21.5
Old 10-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

I thought GT10 was pan cars. The class has never existed at local tracks so I have never really been exposed to it.

Edit: Thinking a little more about the tires; You gotta think that its not easy for Robk and Kevin and anyone else on the Jedi council to pass a rule like this. I am sure that they didn't wake up and say, "I wonder whats the best way to piss off a good 20% of the racers active in USGT." Even though I am not crazy in love with this new rule, I don't even flinch when it comes to the question of whether or not I am going to keep racing. It doesn't even make me pause for a second. And I am not a guy with deep pockets either, as much as I try to be. Furthermore my kittie is pretty much bankrupt from buying and upgrading an AMB/Mylaps decoder. So I don't have tons of money for tires right now, but at least I know that I only need one set to get going and I can get more as the need arises. Given that the spec tire has shown that it out performs the x-patterns,(Most commonly used tire that I know of) and given that it is quite a bit less expensive, shouldnt we be all running to this tire anyway? Lets say that it wasnt a new rule. Shouldnt we all be saying,"Hey these perform great and they are cheap."?

Last edited by snoopyrc; 10-24-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.