Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ALUMINUM / ALLOY WHEELS

Allowed? Not allowed?
Good idea? Bad idea?

I've come across quite a few 26mm versions, but also a few 24mm versions (although most of the 24mm versions have a 2mm offset...not sure if that would be a problem with the AGATA body). Curious as to whether, or not, anyone had used any aluminum/alloy rims in USGT races. If so, did it turn out to be a "good", or a "bad, decision? Either way, I plan on getting a set...even if they end up on the vehicle only for show (obviously, my above questions are in regards to racing). As I'm just getting started in USGT, I'm on the beginning side of the 'learning curve'. Also, I'm still uncertain as to whether, or not, NorCal Hobbies is following the "spec" tire rule, or whether they allow other (incl 26mm) tires. If anyone in here is familiar with which USGT rules NorCal sticks to, and which rules they don't follow 100%, please let me know (I had meant to ask Eric when I was in there Monday, but ( forgot (was in-between clients, and, thus, in a rush).

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Looks even better mounted. Bitty did a great job with the included bumper foam and wing mounts.
it even comes in a the perfect legal weight of 95g ready to race.
Just curious, but are those wheels 24mm or 26mm? As far as they are inside the wheel-wells, if those are 24mm, there should be enough room for 26mm...should your club allow 26mm rims (which I am also interested in finding our for our local).
Old 04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Panther6834.

I tried alluminum wheel before I started racing. Even just out driving they alter everything. Tired them on a few different cars but just didn’t work. I can’t see them working at all under race conditions.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Aluminum is a bad idea, they will be very heavy and bend.

Mine are 24mm. I honestly think trying to run a 24mm tire on a 26mm rim is a bad idea as well. You won’t get the performance they were designed for. But hey go for it if you want others have, but most just run 24mm rims.

The fronts are actually pretty flush with the body, and the rears are only slightly tucked. It leaves room for me to widen the stance with spacers if I need to. Also if you push the rims to the edge of the body, you run the risk of the rears catching a board and breaking a hub, arm, etc.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Aluminum is a bad idea, they will be very heavy and bend. Mine are 24mm. I honestly think trying to run a 24mm tire on a 26mm rim is a bad idea as well. You won’t get the performance they were designed for. But hey go for it if you want others have, but most just run 24mm rims. The fronts are actually pretty flush with the body, and the rears are only slightly tucked. It leaves room for me to widen the stance with spacers if I need to. Also if you push the rims to the edge of the body, you run the risk of the rears catching a board and breaking a hub, arm, etc.
Regarding the aluminum wheel question, it was more of a 'curiosity', as to whether, or not, racing with them was "good" or "bad" (for 'drifters', it's their "standard"). I'll still be getting an aluminum set (once I find the "right" ones), but their primary purpose will be ONLY for "show". As for 24mm tires on 26mm wheels, I'm aware of that, and have no intention on "crossing diameters" - tires & wheels will be the same diameter. However, the question still needing an answer is whether NorCal follows the USGT spec tire rule, or whether they allow other tires (incl 26mm tires)...if I have time today, before heading to work, I might quickly swing by (if I remember..."memory" is starting to become a 'thing of the past'). Most are aware that there is a far larger selection of 26mm wheels. If NorCal doesn't stick to the USGT tire rule, then I'd consider 26mm tires/wheels for racing...but ONLY after double-checking the fitment. Once I have the 26mm tires & aluminum wheels (again, the "show ONLY" tires/wheels), if I notice ANY fitment problem, then, for racing, I'd stick with 24mm.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Panther6834
Regarding the aluminum wheel question, it was more of a 'curiosity', as to whether, or not, racing with them was "good" or "bad" (for 'drifters', it's their "standard"). I'll still be getting an aluminum set (once I find the "right" ones), but their primary purpose will be ONLY for "show". As for 24mm tires on 26mm wheels, I'm aware of that, and have no intention on "crossing diameters" - tires & wheels will be the same diameter. However, the question still needing an answer is whether NorCal follows the USGT spec tire rule, or whether they allow other tires (incl 26mm tires)...if I have time today, before heading to work, I might quickly swing by (if I remember..."memory" is starting to become a 'thing of the past'). Most are aware that there is a far larger selection of 26mm wheels. If NorCal doesn't stick to the USGT tire rule, then I'd consider 26mm tires/wheels for racing...but ONLY after double-checking the fitment. Once I have the 26mm tires & aluminum wheels (again, the "show ONLY" tires/wheels), if I notice ANY fitment problem, then, for racing, I'd stick with 24mm.
Norcal follows USGT rules. By the way they racing this Sunday if you are available stop. Plenty of people to answer your questions.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by team green

Norcal follows USGT rules. By the way they racing this Sunday if you are available stop. Plenty of people to answer your questions.
I'd love to...unfortunately, with several back-to-back conventions, summits, etc, we've been extremely busy since the year started. While I don't normally work on Sundays, Since the year began, I've worked more Sundays than the Sundays I haven't worked. On top of that, most Sundays I haven't worked, my wife has "dragged" me to church. Such is the life of a professional chauffeur, especially when working for one of the more prominent companies. As soon as I have an open Saturday and/or Sunday, I will be there (even if my car isn't ready). Between work & church, it's been making getting back into RC somewhat "difficult".
Old 04-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I'd love to...unfortunately, with several back-to-back conventions, summits, etc, we've been extremely busy since the year started. While I don't normally work on Sundays, Since the year began, I've worked more Sundays than the Sundays I haven't worked. On top of that, most Sundays I haven't worked, my wife has "dragged" me to church. Such is the life of a professional chauffeur, especially when working for one of the more prominent companies. As soon as I have an open Saturday and/or Sunday, I will be there (even if my car isn't ready). Between work & church, it's been making getting back into RC somewhat "difficult".
the fitment between 24mm and 26mm are the same. The extra 2mm are on the inside. Only when you change offset will it be an issue
Old 04-03-2019, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Johnny Carey

the fitment between 24mm and 26mm are the same. The extra 2mm are on the inside. Only when you change offset will it be an issue
The wheels I want to use area the Tamiya 53336. The "problem" is that they're 26mm wheels. I've been trying to find the same style/design in a black (or dark gray) 24mm wheel, but have, so far, been unsuccessful. I could use the 26mm wheels with the 24mm tires, but, as many people have pointed out, it causes problems with the shape of the tires.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:16 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Increasing your unsprung weight is the opposite of what you want for racing. Leave the aluminum rims for a show car.
Nerobro and JC3 like this.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ASM
Increasing your unsprung weight is the opposite of what you want for racing. Leave the aluminum rims for a show car.
I believe, in effect, that's what I already said I'd be doing - one set of wheels/tires for "use", and an other set for "show".
Old 04-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default MST wheels

The wheels I want to use area the Tamiya 53336. The "problem" is that they're 26mm wheels. I've been trying to find the same style/design in a black (or dark gray) 24mm wheel, but have, so far, been unsuccesss.
Not exactly the same, but maybe close:

Max Speed Technology-PRODUCTWHEEL (R)RE(R) 24mm230074BK
Old 04-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JJ100179
Not exactly the same, but maybe close:

Max Speed Technology-PRODUCTWHEEL (R)RE(R) 24mm230074BK
I'd say "closer than close". Fan-friggin-tastic...THANK YOU!!! How is the quality of MST wheels (especially in comparison to Tamiya wheels)?
Old 04-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd say "closer than close". Fan-friggin-tastic...THANK YOU!!! How is the quality of MST wheels (especially in comparison to Tamiya wheels)?

I've been running the MST wheels for almost a year with no broken wheels, can't say the same about the Gravity style wheels. Completely happy with the MST wheels.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
I've been running the MST wheels for almost a year with no broken wheels, can't say the same about the Gravity style wheels. Completely happy with the MST wheels.
Thank you, to you as well...ordering.

CORRECTION: Ordered, along with the requisite tires...well, and a few other "goodies"...it's just like going into Costco, only intending to purchase only a few items, and walking out with a completely-filled shopping cart.

Last edited by Panther6834; 04-04-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default You're Welcome!

I like MST wheels. They are well done and have a nice look and feel.
I'm running some sets in 26mm with our TT02 parking lot bashers. No technical problems and or broken wheels so far.

​​​​​​​Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.