Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CY8Racer

Why are you buying the latest spec motor? I’ve been using the same one for over a year. Maybe try some setup changes or a fresh pack. The spec racing can be frustrating if no tech is being done for sure. I’ve seen many people chasing tech instead of setup or driving style. Just my two cents.
I’m not, I just hate that that’s the game. I actually just got back into on-road and my previous spec motor was a D4 17.5 from my long gone t4 14. All my stuff is new, but the motors are all used mc2s I picked up for cheap. I’m on pace with no complaints.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Poppn9
What happens if you don't use it?

I was going to head to my local hobby shop/track to turn some laps on their carpet track this Friday as practice. Their outdoor road course won't be set up until next month.
The car will be completely unpredictable at best. I was able to turn laps without it. But was 2-3 seconds slower then once I did use it.

I’ve only raced on pavement. I did not use any traction compound. Other then what was sprayed down before racing. The others did. But I wasn’t really racing against them. More against my own times, and trying to stay out the way of faster, more experienced drivers. I’d planned to star using it but last summers racing was cut short by weather. And looks like they have decided to not run it this summer.

Here’s a video of my first try on carpet. First without then with.

JC3 likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Razathorn

I’m not, I just hate that that’s the game. I actually just got back into on-road and my previous spec motor was a D4 17.5 from my long gone t4 14. All my stuff is new, but the motors are all used mc2s I picked up for cheap. I’m on pace with no complaints.
Nice! Where do you race? I love traveling to tracks.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:54 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
[left]
The car will be completely unpredictable at best. I was able to turn laps without it. But was 2-3 seconds slower then once I did use it.

I’ve only raced on pavement. I did not use any traction compound. Other then what was sprayed down before racing. The others did. But I wasn’t really racing against them. More against my own times, and trying to stay out the way of faster, more experienced drivers. I’d planned to star using it but last summers racing was cut short by weather. And looks like they have decided to not run it this summer.

Welcome to the carpet Billy! You did great for your first time out. FWIW, there will always be missiles out there even in the same class, that's just the way it is. Hope you get out again soon!
Old 03-28-2019, 04:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JC3
Welcome to the carpet Billy! You did great for your first time out. FWIW, there will always be missiles out there even in the same class, that's just the way it is. Hope you get out again soon!
I’ve been back twice since this video. This was from early October. Still long way to go before ready to try a race( there’s a more recent video in the Windy City thread). And starting up practice again this Saturday. Looks like carpet is my only option for racing going forward. Unfortunately our group has decided to not run 1/10 this summer. Our small scale racing is getting 3-4x more peoplethen our 1/10 did. Plus the closing of another outdoor track to the west of me(Leisure Hours) leaves only one outdoor group. There’s still small chance we might a few races over summer. But that’s a very small chance

Old 03-28-2019, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

The Orland Park HT isn't running this summer?

https://youtu.be/FTiFSS7hfNQ

Old 03-28-2019, 05:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by outlandr91
The Orland Park HT isn't running this summer?
Unfortunately it’s not looking good for it. Turnout last summer was down, weather was a bigger problem then in the previous years. And the small scale racing is growing. My videos have brought more then a dozen new people out since September Not all have started running. But more have then have not.

Nothing is official yet. Sidewinderz has decided to keep small scale going through summer. They do want to go to Orland, see how the parking lot held over winter, Talk to owner. With leisure closed it’s possible that some would come? Or would it be too much of a step back from the perfect leisure track to parking lot.

I had really hoped that the videos would have gotten a few to try. If Sidewinderz could get me to race, and to slowly continue to improve. And to keep going even knowing at best I’m 3 laps off pace. Then others might try. We were open to running any class that enuff showed up. I even tried a 1/12 to see the if could even work. I wasn’t completely anti-racing before(anti-social, yeah) but didn’t get the appeal off it. Leisure was only 30-40 minutes from me. Yet in 7 years before I never went.

will have to see what happens. The store will still have the “for fun” 1/18 racing. That group is considering a similar version with Euro Truck.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Poppn9
What happens if you don't use it?

I was going to head to my local hobby shop/track to turn some laps on their carpet track this Friday as practice. Their outdoor road course won't be set up until next month.
So that's a good question. Traction compound softens the rubber of the tire, when used heavily it can really change the tire. I (along with many people) use it in the last couple minutes before a race. To directly answer your question, if you don't use it, your cars tires will take many laps to get up to temperature and working well. With tire sauce, half a lap, or a lap, and my car is running "right". Without, it can be a solid 5 laps, if I am driving ok, before the car starts to work right.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Like several others here, I am also new to USGT...so new, in fact, that I haven't purchased a chassis...yet...I started with a list of 6 possibilities, which I've narrowed down to 3 (although new "recommendations" have been coming in from others at my LHS). Currently, my other vehicles are all off-road.

Anyway, while I am taking the time to read the all 575 pages of this thread, one thing I've noticed about the class is that there's been a few changes since the class started. Complicating matters is that the ROAR Rulebook isn't exactly up-to-date, and locating the latest info for certain classes can prove "problematic" (case in point, the dissolved 'truggy' & 'stadium truck' classes, as well as the somewhat disorganized Rulebook, which, for the most part, haven't been officially updated since 2013).

WhileI don't mind going through all 575 pages, as I'm also interested in how the class has evolved (NOT that I plan on reading every word of every post), there is certain to be others who either don't have the time, won't take the time and/or don't have the patience to go through 575 pages. For those people (and, to a small degree, for myself, as well), is it possible for someone extremely familiar with ALL the rules for this class to post the most recent rules covering everything one needs to know?

While most classes allow racers their choice of rim, tire, motor, chassis, body, etc, the USGT class is very specific about certain things (ie. tires), and those who are looking to get into the class (any class, actually) would prefer to have easily-recognisable, and easily-obtainable, information, so as to determine if a class is for them. While I've already made the decision to join, even without knowing all the rules, others could get "scared away" purely on the fact that finding all the current rules can be difficult, if not near-impossible. It's primarily for those people that I ask someone to post a complete list of the most recent rules.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Rules

www.usvintagetransam.com
You will find the rules there.
moparSRT likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NutDriver
www.usvintagetransam.com
You will find the rules there.
Even that list is somewhat outdated, having been last updated almost two years ago. One example would be the bodies, as there are bodies listed that have since been discontinued, and there are newer bodies (such as Bittydesign's AGATA) that aren't on the list.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Panther6834
Even that list is somewhat outdated, having been last updated almost two years ago. One example would be the bodies, as there are bodies listed that have since been discontinued, and there are newer bodies (such as Bittydesign's AGATA) that aren't on the list.
The AGATA is only couple weeks old. It’s just now getting into people’s hands. For the most part, most clubs won’t make a big deal out of what body used. Unless it’s a special event. The guys that ran our races let those of us just getting into the race side run what we wanted for first half of summer. Then suggested we pick a legal body.

Our group used the simple basic rules., Tires, weight and body. But nothing was ever checked.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

The AGATA is only couple weeks old. It’s just now getting into people’s hands. For the most part, most clubs won’t make a big deal out of what body used. Unless it’s a special event. The guys that ran our races let those of us just getting into the race side run what we wanted for first half of summer. Then suggested we pick a legal body.

Our group used the simple basic rules., Tires, weight and body. But nothing was ever checked.
I completely understand about the AGATA...I was only using that body because I knew it was just released, & knew it (probably) wouldn't be on the list yet. But, there are other bodies that have been released since 2017 that are not on the list.

More importantly, there have been other changes made, most notably a "ROAR-approved motor", Spec ESC, and only one specific tire. Using the tire & wheel as an example, when the class was started, any 24mm or 26mm wheel & tire could be used. Now, only one specific tire is allowed (for which I can't seem to find any info on, especially width), yet any 24mm or 26mm wheel is still allowed. If people are unable to locate any info on the tire, that makes it somewhat difficult in choosing a wheel. Additionally, it leads me to wonder why a specific width wheel wasn't made mandatory, as different width tires & wheels, when paired up, can create different "problems".

Now, if the required tire happened to be available in both 24mm & 26mm widths, it would make sense...but, as far as I've been able to determine, the "required tire" is made in only one width, and only one tread pattern, which brings up another question - track surfaces. Typically, there are tires that are designed for on-road carpet, and there are on-road asphalt tires...but, with only one approved tire, how does this work? I know of tracks that have USGT class & carpet, but I also know of tracks with USGT & asphalt. Having off-road vehicles, I know enough to never use a carpet tire on clay/dirt, and visa-versa. I have two particular wheels currently in mind, but since there's no info on the tire, I don't know if it will fit my wheel choices.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

I completely understand about the AGATA...I was only using that body because I knew it was just released, & knew it (probably) wouldn't be on the list yet. But, there are other bodies that have been released since 2017 that are not on the list.

More importantly, there have been other changes made, most notably a "ROAR-approved motor", Spec ESC, and only one specific tire. Using the tire & wheel as an example, when the class was started, any 24mm or 26mm wheel & tire could be used. Now, only one specific tire is allowed (for which I can't seem to find any info on, especially width), yet any 24mm or 26mm wheel is still allowed. If people are unable to locate any info on the tire, that makes it somewhat difficult in choosing a wheel. Additionally, it leads me to wonder why a specific width wheel wasn't made mandatory, as different width tires & wheels, when paired up, can create different "problems".

Now, if the required tire happened to be available in both 24mm & 26mm widths, it would make sense...but, as far as I've been able to determine, the "required tire" is made in only one width, and only one tread pattern, which brings up another question - track surfaces. Typically, there are tires that are designed for on-road carpet, and there are on-road asphalt tires...but, with only one approved tire, how does this work? I know of tracks that have USGT class & carpet, but I also know of tracks with USGT & asphalt. Having off-road vehicles, I know enough to never use a carpet tire on clay/dirt, and visa-versa. I have two particular wheels currently in mind, but since there's no info on the tire, I don't know if it will fit my wheel choices.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIDE-24mm-P...AAAOSwyQtVtaA0
Old 03-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Tech Prophet

It’s only a small number running the test. There are a number of reason why something has/ hasn’t been approved. Could be as simple as the manufacturer choose not to submit body($$$$pay) to have it approved.

I believe this is why the gravity premounted Tires are usually the choice. Takes the questing out. They work on both pavement and carpet.

Simplest thing to do is contact the track you will be at. Ask them what the rules are. Most on road tracks are not in a position to turn people away. And will/should be reasonable with those getting started. Most tracks don’t have the staff to do a full inspection of everyone. Big national events are an entire different animal. Club/local racing is supposed to fun. And not overwhelming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.