R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   USGT (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/411122-usgt.html)

iTz Nicholas72 09-05-2018 08:43 AM

I like the idea of 25.5 USGT.

RobS 09-05-2018 08:50 AM

I'd be all for 25.5 USGT!

EricPF 09-05-2018 09:16 AM

Some good discussion going on here:
  • When we design a new body, it is never our intention to have it become the "one body" for the class. There's nothing cooler than seeing 5, 6, 7 different bodies run in an A-main with all being just as competitive as the next. I recall just a few years ago at an "open" race at Tamiya Raceway, there were NSX, Camaro, Cadillac, Subaru BRZ, McLarens and BMW all in the main, and it was fantastic to watch.
  • Slowing the cars down could help accomplish this, but I feel racers will still choose whatever is just a titch faster or easier to drive, even is its just .05 s per lap. Handout motors (which i love) will make racers search even harder for any advantage.
  • I'd be all for a 95 or 100g weight limit on the bodies. It would encourage more scale liveries. The painted wing rule is a great start, and I also hope a "must include all add-on pieces" rule is added in, ie the Ford GT side-wings
  • An idea that could open the class up to more "uniqueness" and personality would be wheels. I love the Gravity tires, but if everyone is running the same premount wheels it can make the cars look a bit uninspired. If the big USGT events just had a handout tire/foam, and you had to bring your own wheels (like an off-road buggy spec tire race), it could add some flair and realism to the class.

tonyd 09-05-2018 09:17 AM

90 GRAM LIMIT IS FINE FOR USGT AND VTA. NOT FINE FOR TOURING CAR..... Most current bodies painted and ready for the track are 70ish-80ish grams..

Billy Kelly 09-05-2018 09:23 AM

Why this sudden interest in moving to 25.5? I don’t understand.

dietDrThunder 09-05-2018 09:27 AM

My $.02

1. 25.5 USGT: What should happen is that 21.5TC should disappear and be replaced by USGT. At any club race where both run, all it does is thin both classes. We already have VTA...don't need more slow tc chassis classes.

2. 90 gram body rule: What problem is this addressing? Why do we care if guys want to use lightweight bodies and have to replace them every other week? The guys who oppose hand out motor classes go on about how it's our fault there's motor wars, and if we don't want to be in a motor war, don't buy new motors all the time. How is this any different? If you don't want to buy 3 bodies a month, then use a thicker body. Or, maintain a list of specific bodies that are legal, and just exclude the thin jobbers. Adding another reason to wait in line for tech is a bad idea (having to weigh the body separately from the car) in my opinion.

3. Driver: ffs no. The driver in the VTA cars is lame too. The rule should be there for concourse competition, not for racing. Literally nobody but the tech guy and the owner sees the driver in rc race cars...complete waste of time and effort. Also, even if you argue that people (who these people are I have no idea) see the drivers, a tiny % of VTA guys actually put in a cool looking, scale looking driver. People use Chewbacca, Pokemon, GI Joe, etc. How is this making the class better? It isn't. Scrap the driver rule for racing VTA.

Honestly I'm not sure why the class needs any tinkering at all. The cars look fantastic, and are really fun to drive, and are very competitive. I raced in Southern IN with Myron and others last weekend, and I was last (one main) in the A, but I was on the lead lap until near the end...everyone was very close in performance, and driving mistake-free was the biggest factor. One thing I would like is to fix the awful molded seam/lopsided tire situation. I don't know if it's only certain brands or what, but I've bought sets of tires a couple times where one of the tires was so badly molded that it was unusable. If something needs fixing let's start with that.

ammdrew 09-05-2018 09:36 AM

My P Zero and my Ford GT both weigh in at 91 grams. GT felt like it should be lighter but after putting all the body parts on it gets heavy. Plastic screws would help that. Surprised PF did not ship with alloy and plastic nuts.

GT will perform. After a few weeks of testing we are seeing the GT holding lap with the P Zero when run back to back. Layout may favor one or the other but so far we have not seen that. It will do even better if you put it on a diet and remove the steel screws from the roof.

Not a fan of painting the rear wing.

jtsbell 09-05-2018 09:52 AM

I like the idea of 25.5 USGT and make the touring car 21.5 driver figure thumbs down

Billy Kelly 09-05-2018 10:00 AM

Never understood the driver figure in VTA. Other then in pictures, I don’t see the purpose

vivo quevas 09-05-2018 10:14 AM

I too like the idea of 25.5 for USGT modern 21.5 are faster then 17.5 of a few years ago. USGT is almost out of my capabilities to run the class. Also could use one car to run 2 classes.

hanulec 09-05-2018 10:23 AM

First and only post.. I'll stay out of everyone's hair.

I think many of you will like the Can-Am approach to USGT motor speed.

DARKSIDE 09-05-2018 10:46 AM

I don't like being a Vegan... just saying.

Nerobro 09-05-2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly (Post 15293542)
Never understood the driver figure in VTA. Other then in pictures, I don’t see the purpose

I always thought it was a nod towards "scale". And "don't take this class to seriously."

DARKSIDE 09-05-2018 10:53 AM

Scale that's all... it's a $5 to $10 fix a a dab of sho goo...

and something you can use over and over again.

it's not like Touring car where you don't need one.. or 12th scale. But ROAR did say headlight and taillight decals or paint.

So we have rules for everything rather we agree or not. And trust me this freaking carrot sucks. But I'm eating it.

DARKSIDE 09-05-2018 10:57 AM

Oh yeah... don't PM me. Post it here ... this is just a discussion... nothing more nothing less. I don't control or run nothing. Its just an idea