Like Tree6277Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Old 03-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The tires work great at our carpet track. Saucing with SXT 3.0 and cleaning them after each run. Tires get very sticky after coming off the track. My USGT with the PF Camaro body is 8/10ths sec. slower than my 17.5 TC lap times. I have only good things to say about these tires.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here at The Gate we have been running USGT with the spec tire and it has seemed to help the class grow. As far the break in I just mounted them up and started running them. I though they were good from the start. I did mount up a set mounted on HPI 26mm wheels. It gave the tire a lower profile, but I really thought the car worked better with 24mm wheels. I also let someone else try them and he didn't care for the lower profile either. Just my opinion. Now if we could just get Protoform to do the new Corvette!

chuck
Old 03-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Unfortunately at my home track they allow people to run whatever traction compound available, so I personally know that this is a problem. I travel myself and I still run Usgt because I like the class. But it is starting to die some as I have personally had guy's come up to me and say that they are done with the class because they hate the tire. Some of us did jump up to 17.5 Tc as the class is now being offered at my home track. As a whole the class still seems strong at the big races. It is going to be big at the Scale Nationals.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Interesting, I would be curious as to why a spec tire for USGT would kill it locally for your track. A $26 set of tires vs. a potentially $40 set and everyone knows what everyone is running.

Are folks having issues with handling, tire wear, slower lap times, or all of the above so to speak? Could it be that the track is an "open odorless compound" track and the resulting "chemical soup" is playing a role?

As far as softening the tire, LG1, SXT Tire Cleaner or Buggy Grip 2, have been the favorite to use here locally. Be mindful however, to soft of a tire will lead to extremely fast tire wear.
The reason the spec tire isn't working at our local track is that there isn't a lot of grip outside the racing line. It has been this way for years. The HPI X-Patterns did seem to have more mechanical grip, which at least allowed cars with a bad setup some control.

There could be any number of reasons why traction isn't consistent...
- Facility allows any traction compound for onroad (Paragon black can & SXT 3.0 are the most common)
- Facility is multi-use, but onroad only gets 1 day a week (4 days offroad with jumps, 1 day oval, 1 day onroad)
- Layouts for onroad change week to week (we have to build up a groove with only a few hours of practice before racing starts)

Basically we are running a temporary circuit week to week (on carpet) and the consistency of the USGT spec tire isn't close to the X-Pattern at this particular facility. This is having a direct factor in turn-outs. Why run a cheaper tire if you are struggling for grip each week or having to go to extreme lengths to eek out a little consistency from the tire.

I'm glad that the new spec tire works for most facilities. The cost of the HPI X-Patterns (and keeping up with the latest 21.5 motor) drove me away from USGT. The performance of the new tire at our track is preventing me from getting back in.

I race at the same track as waltss2k, and it would be nice to offer simple tips (translated:cheap/free) to get more mechanical grip out of the USGT spec tires.

FYI: I race VTA at this track and the setups that work at our track aren't radically different than what works at other tracks.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Don't get me wrong I love the class and I can get my car to work. I'm just trying to see if there is something that I don't typically do that someone else is doing that works or works better then what I'm doing that I can pass along to our local racers to help them and to keep the class from falling off too much. I said a while back that the X patterns hide a lot of set up. You could have a crappy setup and with X patterns the car would work. Now with the new spec tires you have to work a little harder on setups and I don't feel that most guy's at my track like to do that. They like it when they can come in throw there car on the track and it be money. Not run some laps and have to go to the pits and start Tweeking on there car to get it to handle because we have a new layout each week and the track hasn't been vacuumed and there's no grip yet.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

A new layout each week is a bit much. That doesnt allow time for the track to set - in. It also sounds like you have some whinners on you hands if they never want to work on set-up. Thats half of this hobby. If I wanted something I didnt have to tune, I would buy some POS nikko/tyco car and screw around in front of my house.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
The reason the spec tire isn't working at our local track is that there isn't a lot of grip outside the racing line. It has been this way for years. The HPI X-Patterns did seem to have more mechanical grip, which at least allowed cars with a bad setup some control.

There could be any number of reasons why traction isn't consistent...
- Facility allows any traction compound for onroad (Paragon black can & SXT 3.0 are the most common)
- Facility is multi-use, but onroad only gets 1 day a week (4 days offroad with jumps, 1 day oval, 1 day onroad)
- Layouts for onroad change week to week (we have to build up a groove with only a few hours of practice before racing starts)

Basically we are running a temporary circuit week to week (on carpet) and the consistency of the USGT spec tire isn't close to the X-Pattern at this particular facility. This is having a direct factor in turn-outs. Why run a cheaper tire if you are struggling for grip each week or having to go to extreme lengths to eek out a little consistency from the tire.

I'm glad that the new spec tire works for most facilities. The cost of the HPI X-Patterns (and keeping up with the latest 21.5 motor) drove me away from USGT. The performance of the new tire at our track is preventing me from getting back in.

I race at the same track as waltss2k, and it would be nice to offer simple tips (translated:cheap/free) to get more mechanical grip out of the USGT spec tires.

FYI: I race VTA at this track and the setups that work at our track aren't radically different than what works at other tracks.
Originally Posted by waltss2k
Don't get me wrong I love the class and I can get my car to work. I'm just trying to see if there is something that I don't typically do that someone else is doing that works or works better then what I'm doing that I can pass along to our local racers to help them and to keep the class from falling off too much. I said a while back that the X patterns hide a lot of set up. You could have a crappy setup and with X patterns the car would work. Now with the new spec tires you have to work a little harder on setups and I don't feel that most guy's at my track like to do that. They like it when they can come in throw there car on the track and it be money. Not run some laps and have to go to the pits and start Tweeking on there car to get it to handle because we have a new layout each week and the track hasn't been vacuumed and there's no grip yet.
Maybe try this then, it doesn't cost alot.

I realize with 3 potential track changes a week, traction will be an issue. I have been there as well.

Leave the same physical track layout, as close as you can get it, for up to 4 weeks. Run the offroad portion on the exact same layout as onroad, just change where your bumps and jumps are placed from week to week. The board positions won't be exactly the same week to week, but you can get them close.

Even though you are going through multiple layout changes, the base groove will still be there in most places. Use small strips of duct tape to mark the key areas for the boards. It makes it easier when you try to go back to the previous layout.

A light "misting" of traction compound on the straight a few feet from the corner will help build traction quickly and help to stabilize things. don't go crazy, just 3-4 "spritzes" from a standard spray bottle, middle of the lane.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Unfortunately we don't have any control of the layout s and management aren't racers. We just have one place to race here in Indy. And not sure who is doing the track layouts anymore. I'm sure someone that really doesn't have much of clue when it comes to building tracks. Just another reason why I travel.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If the management is not made of racers then racers have to tell them what they want. Be nice but apply a little pressure.

Originally Posted by mackin
Now if we could just get Protoform to do the new Corvette!

chuck
I can't speak for Protoform, but if you want a shell you should ask. It definitely helps him decide what he wants to try next. Of course licensing and how well the shape translates to the TC chassis also plays a role in what they do.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Eric, thanks for the positive input. I agree that more permanent layouts would help, but as was stated that currently isn't an option. However, having a new layout each week is one of the reasons I like racing at our track.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that we only run 2 heats and mains during on-road nights, which also limits how much of a groove is built up. However that is the challenge about racing at this facility. You have to develop a setup to work well in qualifying when traction is lower. Then you have to make sure the setup doesn't have too much grip to slow you down by the mains. You also have to race smarter during qualifying (avoid accidents/breaking) so you can get locked into the A-main. Thankfully the lower mains have bump-ups if you are having a bad night.

Once you understand on all the challenges our track presents, it is actually a lot of fun. Also most people are very helpful and share setup and help other racers improve their cars, which is why we are asking for help.

----------

Originally Posted by theproffesor
A new layout each week is a bit much. That doesnt allow time for the track to set - in. It also sounds like you have some whinners on you hands if they never want to work on set-up. Thats half of this hobby. If I wanted something I didnt have to tune, I would buy some POS nikko/tyco car and screw around in front of my house.
Isn't whining/whinging a part of racing?

Actually our track attracts a lot of friendly people who just like putting a car on the track for fun. It isn't full of win at all cost guys, which is another reason I like racing there.

Part of the reason for the success of this facility is that they keep the cost of race entries low. It is $10 for a single race entry and $5 for an additional class. However they offer a flat monthly fee which allows an individual to race as many day/classes as they want. This has been great to get whole families, younger racers, and racers with limited budgets to the track. It isn't uncommon to have a lot of kids (under 18) racing at our track on any given on-road night.

Yes, some of the racers ARE less experienced with setup changes and how to improve their cars (Is that any different than other tracks?). Due to the nature of our on-road program, there is a limited amount of time to work on setup at the track on a race night (and there currently is no separate on-road practice day). This makes working on setup changes a challenge for any skill level. As such any suggestions on how to improve the grip of the USGT spec tires at our track would be appreciated.

----------

Anyone interested in watching racing at our track should check out Bruce Olson's YouTube channel. He is a great example of the the type of good people we have racing at our track. He takes the time on his own to setup a camera to record the mains and post them online. Here is a link on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2A-70e_hYCbFkFnFeNajpQ
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

To me it sounds like the USGT tire isn't really to blame for no traction at your track. I'd blame it on the off road cars. They can make a mess of carpet pretty quickly. Off road cars tend to loosen up the fibres in the carpet more making the carpet very inconsistent for onroad cars.
It also isn't helping that the layout changes so much. Although, there is an onroad club in Welland Ontario that changes their track every week and they don't really have too many issues with traction. They don't run USGT there, but still, traction can be found.
I also think the lack of onroad practice is hurting your traction too. It doesn't affect the actual traction on the carpet, but it does allow guys the time to better understand their setup. I highly recommend experimenting with roll centers. I've been finding they are relatively quick and easy things to change and have a noticeable effect on the car without having to completely change the whole car with it.
Those are just my thoughts. I hope you can find a solution to help keep the class alive at your track!
We recently introduced the class at my track. I'm hoping it grows. It's hard for us to get more people invloved because here in Ontario we run Canadian Vintage trans am. It's the same rules as USGT but following the usvta tire and body rules, minus the driver figure. ie: 21.5 motors, blinky esc, and 1450g weight.
This coming Sunday we are having a USGT enduro race. Teams of two drivers and one car. Forcing a 4.5 FDR to keep motor temps cool. Only marshaling your own team's car, switching drivers as often as you want and changing batteries whenever you want. It should be a super fun time! If you're close to the Ontario/US border, make the trip to Lou's Speedway in Dorchester. You won't be disappointed!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Actually oval racing is on Thursday night (counter-clockwise) and then On-road racing is on Friday night (clockwise). So add that to the other challenges we face weekly.

Actually the more I think about the problem perhaps the best question to ask is "What is the best way to make the USGT spec tires work on a very "green"/low grip carpet track that allows any traction compound?"

Keep in mind that our particular problem could exist at other facilities if they got new carpet, recently changed layouts, or might even apply to other low grip situations (low grip paved track).
Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Actually the more I think about the problem perhaps the best question to ask is "What is the best way to make the USGT spec tires work on a very "green"/low grip carpet track that allows any traction compound?"

It sounds like maybe the problem is that you don't have enough radial material when compared to the HPI treads.

Have you tried the RIDE 24024 tires?
http://www.rcmart.com/ride-24mm-radi...4-p-35322.html

I've had really good luck with these as well:
Old 03-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

had some fun with usgt this weekend

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
Old 03-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Cleaning the tires with buggy grip after each run seemed like it helped get the tires broken in pretty fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.