R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Tamiya 416 WE Rear Ball Diff Issue

I'm having a hard time with the rear ball diff on my 416 WE. After I tighten the diff, hold the spur gear and left rear wheel; I still have some slip coming from the right wheel? I rebuilt the diff with ceramic balls and sanded the diff plates with 1000 grid paper, but I still see some slipage when I test the diff for locking.

In order to stop the slipping I have to tighten the ball diff to the point where the rear wheels dont spin freely.

Can this be an issue with the thurst bearing??? Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this problem???

Thanks in advance!!!!
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Tech Addict
 
John_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 724
Default

Because the diff rings are just circular and not in a D style like the outdrives allow this is probably where your slippage is coming from. To solve this you need to use a very hard grease to stick the diff rings to the outdrive. Jilles states what grease to use on his red rc build videos. Hope this helps
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S View Post
Because the diff rings are just circular and not in a D style like the outdrives allow this is probably where your slippage is coming from. To solve this you need to use a very hard grease to stick the diff rings to the outdrive. Jilles states what grease to use on his red rc build videos. Hope this helps
I tired something like that with ca glue and it still slips a bit. Not sure what else to do. Thanks much for the reply.
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,908
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

That's a design flaw that tamiya still uses to this day. I think it was originally on the 501X which having a little bit of slippage was good on an off-road car. When you start having unequal slippage, the car will start to run funny which I hated. I switched over to the gear diff from spec-R and never looked back. you can make the diff as loose as you want on no slip. The outdrives do not sit directly on the bearings so your diff will be consistent even if one of them start to drag. I think having a rear gear diff will become a trend with all the power brushless has to offer.
__________________
Lost in RC limbo
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
That's a design flaw that tamiya still uses to this day. I think it was originally on the 501X which having a little bit of slippage was good on an off-road car. When you start having unequal slippage, the car will start to run funny which I hated. I switched over to the gear diff from spec-R and never looked back. you can make the diff as loose as you want on no slip. The outdrives do not sit directly on the bearings so your diff will be consistent even if one of them start to drag. I think having a rear gear diff will become a trend with all the power brushless has to offer.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I'll have to keep trying until I get it right. The rear gear diff does sound like a plan. Where can I buy one? Any in particular?

Cheers,
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
ark
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 703
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

This happened to me at first too. Sand the side of the ring that makes contact with the outdrive with coarse paper like 380. Sand the outdrive too if need be. Use tamiya AW grease between outdrive and ring. If you want D shape rings, 3 racing do them with D shape outdrives too. Cheers
ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
hotdognobun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turillo View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I'll have to keep trying until I get it right. The rear gear diff does sound like a plan. Where can I buy one? Any in particular?

Cheers,
speedtechrc.com

hkshobby.com
hotdognobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya mini cooper sipaboy Electric On-Road 29687 12-10-2017 04:07 AM
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car keithander Electric On-Road 9064 06-14-2017 01:46 PM
416 WE made in China autostyle Electric On-Road 542 01-28-2013 02:58 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:47 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net