R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Tamiya 416 WE Rear Ball Diff Issue

I'm having a hard time with the rear ball diff on my 416 WE. After I tighten the diff, hold the spur gear and left rear wheel; I still have some slip coming from the right wheel? I rebuilt the diff with ceramic balls and sanded the diff plates with 1000 grid paper, but I still see some slipage when I test the diff for locking.

In order to stop the slipping I have to tighten the ball diff to the point where the rear wheels dont spin freely.

Can this be an issue with the thurst bearing??? Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this problem???

Thanks in advance!!!!
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Because the diff rings are just circular and not in a D style like the outdrives allow this is probably where your slippage is coming from. To solve this you need to use a very hard grease to stick the diff rings to the outdrive. Jilles states what grease to use on his red rc build videos. Hope this helps
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S View Post
Because the diff rings are just circular and not in a D style like the outdrives allow this is probably where your slippage is coming from. To solve this you need to use a very hard grease to stick the diff rings to the outdrive. Jilles states what grease to use on his red rc build videos. Hope this helps
I tired something like that with ca glue and it still slips a bit. Not sure what else to do. Thanks much for the reply.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That's a design flaw that tamiya still uses to this day. I think it was originally on the 501X which having a little bit of slippage was good on an off-road car. When you start having unequal slippage, the car will start to run funny which I hated. I switched over to the gear diff from spec-R and never looked back. you can make the diff as loose as you want on no slip. The outdrives do not sit directly on the bearings so your diff will be consistent even if one of them start to drag. I think having a rear gear diff will become a trend with all the power brushless has to offer.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
That's a design flaw that tamiya still uses to this day. I think it was originally on the 501X which having a little bit of slippage was good on an off-road car. When you start having unequal slippage, the car will start to run funny which I hated. I switched over to the gear diff from spec-R and never looked back. you can make the diff as loose as you want on no slip. The outdrives do not sit directly on the bearings so your diff will be consistent even if one of them start to drag. I think having a rear gear diff will become a trend with all the power brushless has to offer.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I'll have to keep trying until I get it right. The rear gear diff does sound like a plan. Where can I buy one? Any in particular?

Cheers,
Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
ark
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This happened to me at first too. Sand the side of the ring that makes contact with the outdrive with coarse paper like 380. Sand the outdrive too if need be. Use tamiya AW grease between outdrive and ring. If you want D shape rings, 3 racing do them with D shape outdrives too. Cheers
ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turillo View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I'll have to keep trying until I get it right. The rear gear diff does sound like a plan. Where can I buy one? Any in particular?

Cheers,
speedtechrc.com

hkshobby.com
hotdognobun is offline   Reply With Quote