R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya 416 WE Rear Ball Diff Issue (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/410980-tamiya-416-we-rear-ball-diff-issue.html)

Turillo 06-24-2010 07:59 AM

Tamiya 416 WE Rear Ball Diff Issue

I'm having a hard time with the rear ball diff on my 416 WE. After I tighten the diff, hold the spur gear and left rear wheel; I still have some slip coming from the right wheel? I rebuilt the diff with ceramic balls and sanded the diff plates with 1000 grid paper, but I still see some slipage when I test the diff for locking.

In order to stop the slipping I have to tighten the ball diff to the point where the rear wheels dont spin freely.

Can this be an issue with the thurst bearing??? Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this problem???

Thanks in advance!!!!

John_S 06-24-2010 08:37 AM

Because the diff rings are just circular and not in a D style like the outdrives allow this is probably where your slippage is coming from. To solve this you need to use a very hard grease to stick the diff rings to the outdrive. Jilles states what grease to use on his red rc build videos. Hope this helps

Turillo 06-24-2010 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by John_S (Post 7584654)
Because the diff rings are just circular and not in a D style like the outdrives allow this is probably where your slippage is coming from. To solve this you need to use a very hard grease to stick the diff rings to the outdrive. Jilles states what grease to use on his red rc build videos. Hope this helps

I tired something like that with ca glue and it still slips a bit. Not sure what else to do. Thanks much for the reply.

inpuressa 06-24-2010 12:20 PM

That's a design flaw that tamiya still uses to this day. I think it was originally on the 501X which having a little bit of slippage was good on an off-road car. When you start having unequal slippage, the car will start to run funny which I hated. I switched over to the gear diff from spec-R and never looked back. you can make the diff as loose as you want on no slip. The outdrives do not sit directly on the bearings so your diff will be consistent even if one of them start to drag. I think having a rear gear diff will become a trend with all the power brushless has to offer.

Turillo 06-24-2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by inpuressa (Post 7585423)
That's a design flaw that tamiya still uses to this day. I think it was originally on the 501X which having a little bit of slippage was good on an off-road car. When you start having unequal slippage, the car will start to run funny which I hated. I switched over to the gear diff from spec-R and never looked back. you can make the diff as loose as you want on no slip. The outdrives do not sit directly on the bearings so your diff will be consistent even if one of them start to drag. I think having a rear gear diff will become a trend with all the power brushless has to offer.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I'll have to keep trying until I get it right. The rear gear diff does sound like a plan. Where can I buy one? Any in particular?

Cheers,

ark 06-24-2010 05:54 PM

This happened to me at first too. Sand the side of the ring that makes contact with the outdrive with coarse paper like 380. Sand the outdrive too if need be. Use tamiya AW grease between outdrive and ring. If you want D shape rings, 3 racing do them with D shape outdrives too. Cheers

hotdognobun 06-24-2010 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Turillo (Post 7585879)
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I'll have to keep trying until I get it right. The rear gear diff does sound like a plan. Where can I buy one? Any in particular?

Cheers,

speedtechrc.com

hkshobby.com