R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Here is my POV on this....you are basically using the ROAR rules for Motors and ESC's so why not use the ROAR list of batteries? Failure to use this part as a reference for what lipo is legal can lead to someone having to buy another battery pack or packs. If someone new wants to start racing and they get into RCGT and have a blast and want to then move in to say ROAR sportsman class but the battery pack they first picked up was a non-ROAR approved pack they now have to buy another pack to move up a class. The same thing for someone who is looking at RCGT as a second class. They probably have a ROAR pack or packs already but are now in a situation where they will have to buy another pack to race this class. The class needs to be as cost effective as it can.

Really what should be happening is we should be pushing ROAR to make the sportsman class RCGT like....meaing using the Sportsman rules just open the bodies to all the cool looking bodies. Then I really think the class would take off. Too many people are looking at RCGT and think its only a HPI promoted class.

Also the C rating is really meaningless with the limited ESC's and 17.5 or 21.5 motors. You are never going to pull out a high load to take advantage of the C rating. I think there is too much weight placed on the C rating of packs. Racers are always about numbers and when we see a higher number in a battery pack we assume its instantly better. But the problem is there isn’t a real way to check this C rating over 30 or 40C. I mean really I can start to sell packs at 100C rating but if no one has a machine to check that they can handle 100C it’s never going to be proven wrong and guys would be lining up to buy them because of the higher number.
Guys this was in process within ROAR prior to your threads and the activity has been noted. The rules here are so similar with the batteries change you would not believe but again I like what i am seeing here. Great thread imho.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #47
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post

Also the C rating is really meaningless with the limited ESC's and 17.5 or 21.5 motors. You are never going to pull out a high load to take advantage of the C rating. I think there is too much weight placed on the C rating of packs. Racers are always about numbers and when we see a higher number in a battery pack we assume its instantly better. But the problem is there isnít a real way to check this C rating over 30 or 40C. I mean really I can start to sell packs at 100C rating but if no one has a machine to check that they can handle 100C itís never going to be proven wrong and guys would be lining up to buy them because of the higher number.
probably won't make a difference until 13.5 using a tekin.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Rocketron, having read all 60 pages of the rcgt usa thread that CharlieB started, I was amazed how much of the process had been started or talked about before. Luckily the interest was still there to finally make things happen.
Evoracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
What's your guys input on FF cars? What if your club doesn't have enough people to run a FF class? Should they be allowed to run with the 4wd?
As a matter of fact, if all goes well I'll be running my FF03 with the 4WD cars this Sunday, with all other specs being equal. I'll be sure to post my findings here.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Rocketron, having read all 60 pages of the rcgt usa thread that CharlieB started, I was amazed how much of the process had been started or talked about before. Luckily the interest was still there to finally make things happen.
I have personnally run in RCGT and have been working with HPI as well. I believe this can be a solid sportsman class. Should stress realistic looking bodies and imho be 21.5 non-timing ESC's. This MAY allow the newer racer to hang onto the car. Bringing in NEW racers is what this is all about, maintaining also being a factor.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Any club or event could require batteries to ROAR spec. Really up to you if you want to push it.
I know. In fact, our track will probably differ from these rules greatly. I am just putting out an argument on behalf of the rest of the country that will run this class.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #52
Tech Initiate

nice i can use my 21.5 in this class that way i wont have to get rid of it because vta is going to 25.5.
Austin Strykul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Thanks Austin, We hope the rules allow enough room for as many people with various skill sets and budgets. The rules now give the clubs and organizer some room for flexibility and yet be able to promote the spirit of the class. It happened with input like yours....Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #54
Tech Elite

TTT
Quote:
Ok Folks, here they are. The new rules for RCGT have been approved. Hope you like them. Many of you had a voice in what was decided.

1. Bodies: Any 190mm or 200mm realistic GT type body (no touring class racing bodies such as Stratus or Mazda 6). Molded kit wings or aftermarket wings are highly suggested. Lexan wings must be of proportionate size. Lexan wings are not allowed in Concours.

2. Tires: HPI X-Pattern tires, part #s 4790, 4490 and 4495 are the official spec tire of RCGT. Alternate tires may be used at the race organizer's discretion, but all HPI supported RCGT events will use the x-pattern tires.

3. Inserts: For HPI X-Pattern tires the stock insert must be used. All alternate tires choices may use any insert. Race organizer may define specific choices.

4. Wheels: Any REALISTIC spoke type 26mm wheel may be used. No aero dish or lightweight racing wheels allowed.

5. Motors/Esc's: Any 21.5 or 17.5 brushless motor/esc as shown on the ROAR Sportsman list. In addition, the Speed Passion Cirtix 21.5 and 17.5 are allowed.

6. Chassis: Any 1/10 scale all wheel drive touring car chassis. Minimum weight requirement is 1475 grams.

7. Batteries: Any Lipo 2S packs up to a maximum of 5000mah. Hard case packs are highly suggested.

We all hope the revised rules will help everybody continue to enjoy the RCGT program. I should also say that we'll do our best to consider and make revisions when necessary. We can't plan for everything but we'll try and catch up to them as quickly as possible. Thanks again to all of you !!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
I have personnally run in RCGT and have been working with HPI as well. I believe this can be a solid sportsman class. Should stress realistic looking bodies and imho be 21.5 non-timing ESC's. This MAY allow the newer racer to hang onto the car. Bringing in NEW racers is what this is all about, maintaining also being a factor.
I posted the rules again after reading your post. Kinda wondering if you had seen them since everything you're looking for is pretty much there aside from making 21.5 the standard. But keep in mind that any group can make 21.5 the standard. My club has. We won't run 17.5 unless we get enough racers that wish to run it as a expert class. Just a note for those that may not be familiar with the ROAR list. The ESC's specified must have the ability to turn off all timing advance or boost and must be clearly readable for tech purposes. Hope that helps. Please let me know if for some reason it appears the rules aren't clear on these points.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Anybody racing RCGT this weekend ??
Looking forward to running the 21.5/Havoc. Glad I kept it after running VTA.
Should be fun on slicks !!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #57
Tech Initiate

Since i will be running my 21.5 what should my gearing be?
Austin Strykul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Strykul View Post
With a Cirtix I would imagine your FDR would need to be in the high 2's/low 3's, since they are running into the low 3's with the 17.5 Cirtix.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Strykul View Post
Hey Austin, Like M-Technic said I wouldn't be surprised if you had to get into the low 3's. It depends on your track though. On our track of about 80x40 we usually run in the 4.5-5.0 range. The 21.5 has great torque for corner exit acceleration if geared right. We get temps in the 110-115 range with the Ballistic/Havoc combo.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

For those of you that care.

Here are pics of the Blast Off tires, We will try to test them out on Wednesday night.

Pictured for comparison are Solaris Spec Premounts, HPI D Compound X's and the Blast Offs.

Dim's

BO 26.25mm Wide, 66mm Dia
HPI 26.00mm Wide, 65.50 mm Dia
Solaris 24mm Wide, 62.00mm Dia

Maybe I am simple, but not sure how to measure the offset.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RCGT-wheels00002.jpg   HPI RCGT-wheels00003.jpg  
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote