R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to agarabaghi
Default Onboard R/C camera shoot out...

Well there has been a lot of discussion about onboard video cameras. I was lucky enough to get my hands on two of the top end ones. The Go Pro Hero HD and the Vholdr Contour HD. So Ive decided to do a little testing between the two.

Specs:

GoPro Hero HD ($259.99)
Video:
1080p @ 30fps
960p @ 30fps
720p @ 60fps
Audio:
Built in mic
48hz AAC
Storage:
SD Card upto 32gig
Battery:
1100mah LIPO
Waterproof housing included

VholdR Contour HD ($249.99)
Video:
720p @ 30fps
480p @ 30fps
Audio:
Built in mic
AAC
Storage:
MicroSD Card upto 16gig
Battery:
Lipo ~3hr Record time
Metal casing / water resistant

Mounted Pictures

Things to make note of:
1) ContourHD sit lower, not affecting handling of smaller cars as much
2) GoPro films in 720p @ 60fps which is great for fast footage, though VholdR offers a ContourHD1080p version, we did not have that model available for testing.
3) GoPro includes a water proof housing
4) VholdR has a laser system for adjusting the angle of the lens, which makes mounting options almost infinite
5) VholdR has included software which allows for contrast / brightness to be adjusted as well as recoding bitrate.

Overall I think the VholdR is better for r/c just by the way it mounts. The case is durable, and its low profile mounting options prevents roll overs, which seem to be more prone with the gopro, though not show in the video...

Test footage is uncompressed footage from both cameras directly uploaded to YouTube. VholdR does provide their own uploading site, with the same features as YouTube which is pretty nice, but for this test i chose to use YouTube to keep things constant...

Here is the test footage, watch them in 720p for best results...
GoPro Video Footage:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

VholdR ContourHD Video Footage:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
agarabaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nice Job !! Thanks, been wanting to start doing some onboard videos but was pretty clueless. Looks like I got my answer.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Tech Master

which do you think your going to go with? I wish I had the contourhd 1080p version of the VholdR camera, it would make for a much more balanced comparison. I feel that the 60fps is a big improvement, but the look / mounting of the gopro makes me wonder what will happen on the 1st crash...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm thinking I'll go with the contour. Our club is all touring car so I think thats the way to go for all the reasons you pointed out. That picture quality at 720 is just fine for me. Have you ever tried mounting a camera on some sort of a trailer behind the car ?? I'd love to have that perspective from behind and to one side. Suppose it would be pretty easy to do. Maybe I'll try it. Little bit different than trying to follow a lead car with a camera car.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Tech Master

Would you be interested in buying my ContourHD? I think i wanna make the upgrade to the 1080p version.

I have not tried a trailer or anything, but i think a chase car would work great...
Old 06-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The sound was much better on the Contour than the GoPro, the picture was alot darker than the GoPro but this looked to be more due to the lighting at that time of the day. Both had good picture quality, much better than my shity HD camcorder.