R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   gearing a Peak dynasty (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/41059-gearing-peak-dynasty.html)

Mr-s413bt 05-21-2004 02:42 PM

gearing a Peak dynasty/new 2 onroad question

Hey Guys.

Ok i am an onroad newbie.

I have been racing offroad on and off for about 13 years now a friend has just lent me a HPI PRO3 TC.

Now its running sorex 27's i think rubber tires.

Now the question i have how hard to i gear a PEAK Dynasty motor?

Now in offroad we would say gear a 12x2 at 10.1:1 how hard do i need to gear this 19t spec motor????

Right now i have geared it really hard or at least so i think. 27/78 gives me a overall drive ratio of 6.50:1

Can someone please help me gear this motor right!!

Thanks

Glenn

Cain 05-25-2004 08:13 PM

Wow, no responses.

I have used this motor before. I am not sure what HPI gives you for info, but I would start by gearing it like a stock motor and checking it after about a 3 minute run to see how the temp is going.

The motor has alot of torque, so you can really gear up with it.

rod_b 05-25-2004 09:12 PM

Gearing it like a Stock motor is asking for disaster. Undergearing is safer than overgearing. I'd start around 8:1

Korey Harbke 05-25-2004 10:50 PM

Although it is safe, that is still kinda way out of the ballpark. Try gearing around a 7.0:1 Final Drive Ratio. That will get you in the ball park. This Motor is has alot of torque and can be geared taller to make up for the lack of rpm. Generally this motor runs hot due to the lack of very many vents... Hope this Helps you out.

-Sushi Boy

Cain 05-26-2004 04:19 AM

I have used this motor, and gearing it like a stock motor as a starting point worked quite well as long as you make sure to check it like I said. But if you know of a better starting point thats great too.

mb racer 05-26-2004 10:54 AM

gearing. 19t

I run a tc3 with 19t C2 .. my final is 6.oo and ive never had any problems and its very fast ... but thats just me .. never overheats and lots of power thru out the race ....might be good for the peak motor . Ill try that motor next ...I do hear good things about them.. Id try in the mid 6's as a starting point..:D

racenut123 05-26-2004 11:13 AM

I run a similar motor by Redline motors.Its based off the orion/peak 19turn fixed endbell motor.I gear mine at 5.9-6.2 respectively.
So what Mb racer says is about right.The motor is wicked fast for a spec motor.Faster then any of my C2's were.Cant kill the magnets either.

J-P 05-26-2004 01:25 PM

hey guys,

i run mine in a tc3 and run the gearing 65/31 on a reasonably large track and that comes out at 5.2 (i think):blush: , and ive had no problems and its got loads of punch and good top end, hope this helps you a little, also i run the peak brush's PEK2159 with standard springs and i've been competative with it,

good luck

J-P:sneaky:

The Black Kat 05-26-2004 03:53 PM

Originally posted by racenut123
I run a similar motor by Redline motors.Its based off the orion/peak 19turn fixed endbell motor.I gear mine at 5.9-6.2 respectively.
So what Mb racer says is about right.The motor is wicked fast for a spec motor.Faster then any of my C2's were.Cant kill the magnets either.

Keyword: Redline....

Of course those things are wicked fast...BTW: Where can I get one of their Element's?