R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #76

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

very good, glad to hear u didnt need much. most mods are bunk for that car. still glad to hear it.

i'm sure avid bearing sets could be pulled together on the cheap, handed out with kit.

what ratio did u end up on? the 55 or 58 mated with which pinion? for years here we ran with the stock 61T spur (b/c speed spurs were hard to get at times) mated w/the 22T pinion (largest) instead of stock 19t. worked well and it was easy to spot a speed spur car. perhaps if the parts are still tough to get then the pinion idea might be a godo thing. it was always nice that the speed spurs were black and stock was white so u knew instantly if folks were on the up n up.

greg, u have a ruling on yet on building the car there or building ahead of time and conforming to rules laid out by u?

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
very good, glad to hear u didnt need much. most mods are bunk for that car. still glad to hear it.
i'm sure avid bearing sets could be pulled together on the cheap, handed out with kit.
what ratio did u end up on?...
greg, u have a ruling on yet on building the car there or building ahead of time and conforming to rules laid out by u?
R
With cooperation from the as yet to be named mom 'n pop hobby shop and TamiyaUSA, we'll be offering the kits as part of the entry fee (cheaper than Tower can, too!) along with bearings (also cheaper than Avid!) and some other goodies to make the experience enjoyable and inexpensive. The teams will receive their kits at the completion of the drivers meeting, and with a few hours to build, paint, trim, test and practice, it should prove to be an exciting measure of "teamwork". Did I mention that concours will be awarding "laps"? Now who wants to spray a one color bomb?

The test-TT01E will also shed some light (figuratively and literally) on the spec FDR choice.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #78
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
I've received countless PMs (and a few hundred emails from a one inquisitive soul) asking for details which I'm happy to answer with as many details as we have ironed out at this early stage....
what ya trying to say?!?!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #79
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
Did I mention that concours will be awarding "laps"? Now who wants to spray a one color bomb?
Hmm, am I allowed to auction off my services?? LOL
Old 07-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #80

thats why tamiya decals are rather good. besides u kinda want them to look like real sports cars and not some endless sea of 'flouro flamers'!!!

R
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #81
Tech Adept

Only just got back / seen the replies. Going to bed now - its 3.15am! Will reply in greater detail tomo. Thanks for your comments. Always happy to help where I can.

We all use the fastest gear combo, you are correct the hop up set are black. I can't remember the number exactly but iirc it uses the 25T pinion?

Anyway I have the car "fresh" from the first race here, I will check and will also get some picts of it and post them up so you can see what it looks like after. It is the 911 bodyset this year. Last year was the subaru WRX kit - basically whatever the local sponsoring shop has overstock of!

It's the same here as you are suggesting getting. The tamiya importer/organiser offers a complete kit including bearings and 2 sets of wheels/tires for the entry fee price. So what is TamiyaUSA overstocked with ?
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #82
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
Anyway I have the car "fresh" from the first race here, I will check and will also get some picts of it and post them up so you can see what it looks like after. It is the 911 bodyset this year. Last year was the subaru WRX kit - basically whatever the local sponsoring shop has overstock of!
I know I'd love to see pics of the TT01 chassis after 24 hours of racing
Old 07-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #83

ah, so 25/55 (thats the tallest). 5.72:1 . how i still remember that is just sad really. lotta pullin for that lil motor to do even on a big track. interesting.

R
Old 07-17-2010, 04:52 AM   #84

hehe, its gonna happen. just waiting on the flyer and announcement-then the entry $ gets sent!!!!

cant wait til late sept!!! When can you all sit back and say i was a part of the 1st ever event....in anything. Yeh our euro friends got the jump on us, but the 1st event here in the states. good stuff. perhaps folks will see how this type of racing is quite fun. you race more than u do in wks of turning up at the track for ur 3+main deal, u hang and have fun with your friends (and even after many hours foes become more friendly). just an all around better deal.

R

see ya in sept!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #85
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
hehe, its gonna happen. just waiting on the flyer and announcement-then the entry $ gets sent!!!!

cant wait til late sept!!! When can you all sit back and say i was a part of the 1st ever event....in anything. Yeh our euro friends got the jump on us, but the 1st event here in the states. good stuff. perhaps folks will see how this type of racing is quite fun. you race more than u do in wks of turning up at the track for ur 3+main deal, u hang and have fun with your friends (and even after many hours foes become more friendly). just an all around better deal.

R

see ya in sept!
ultegrasti ygpm
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Yessir! The race flyer and registration form are at the graphic designers desk. As soon as they are done, I'll have them on the web and posted here along with all the support information (rules, manuals, lists, etc) to help everyone prepare.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #87
Tech Master

I'm there. Can't believe this kind of event is going down about an hour from my house.

I've never raced electric on-road...ever. I used to race 1/8 nitro buggy, electric rally car, and electric 1/10 2wd buggy, so this should be interesting. I just got back into the electric side again, have a halfway decent charger. How much stuff would one need of their own for this type of event? Only chargers and batteries, and tools I assume? And how many? 2-3 chargers, 4-5 batteries, more? How much, ballpark range, would something like this cost, entry fee wise? Well that last one will be answered soon I guess, but I'm just anxious and want to start organizing for this. Cannot wait.

Edit: Oh yeah, can we do it as a 2 man team? I know me and a buddy of mine could handle staying up the whole event, and then some.
SloRacer1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #88
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRacer1080 View Post
I'm there. Can't believe this kind of event is going down about an hour from my house.

I've never raced electric on-road...ever. I used to race 1/8 nitro buggy, electric rally car, and electric 1/10 2wd buggy, so this should be interesting. I just got back into the electric side again, have a halfway decent charger. How much stuff would one need of their own for this type of event? Only chargers and batteries, and tools I assume? And how many? 2-3 chargers, 4-5 batteries, more? How much, ballpark range, would something like this cost, entry fee wise? Well that last one will be answered soon I guess, but I'm just anxious and want to start organizing for this. Cannot wait.

Edit: Oh yeah, can we do it as a 2 man team? I know me and a buddy of mine could handle staying up the whole event, and then some.
if you are running lipo - then you probably could get away with 4-5 packs MINIMUM. But I believe with the TT01e chassis, not every pack will fit - plus for saftey's sake, you're gonna need to run ROAR-approved hard cased packs

You'd probably want more then 3 chargers...because if you run a pack down to its cut-off point, it gonna talk a while to recharge...I'd say a safe assumption would be 1 less charger then you have packs for the event

Greg hasn't posted an entry fee amount - but remember, the entry fee will cover the price of the chassis, bearings, motor and then fees for trophies and whatnot...so it won't be in the ballpark of a 'normal' club race or 'big' race (ie, under $100/team)

I would say you'd probably want 4-5 guys on a team...1 to driver, 1 to marshall (i'm assuming every team would have an assigned space to marshall and they rotate out the marshall in that position), 1 to man the chargers, 1 to rest, and a 'standby' guy...I know the last time I ran an enduro, my team went with 4 guys and it was barely enough for 4 hours (and we didn't have to marshall)
Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

I got bored of reading this thread but I want to be involved but I vote on starting the clock with the car box wrapper still on and building being included in the 24 hours. I mean we will still get like 22 hours of track time driving at 3 mph. I think that will be enough.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #90

well larry i know the car are far slower (and so are chief posters in this thread) than what u'd like but it'll be damn fun nonetheless. and ur interest and support is welcomed. give ya an idea, the folks over in europe who start with 'the build' 1st car was on track in 40min, last car was on in just over 1hr. so if that gives you and any1 else out there thinkin bout it clarity on the build part.

R