24 Hour RC Race, wow!!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
I just LOVE seeing ... treaded tires.
Originally Posted by k_bojar
what about rain??
Don't pretend like you don't know why we're going treaded.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

For more serious stuff check this tread.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

24 hours races were held every year at Le Touquet, France, during the 90's, every year or almost. It's a shame the race disapeared, perhaps because the Schumacher team used to kick everybody's ass every single year? Hell, the last year (1999 ish) they even took the same car as the previous year and won just the same. It had a fast pack swapping system, with a special chassis, you could change it from below. Motors were in the 15-17 range, and the 15 turn schumacher/corally motor (schumacher motors were rebadged corralys) survived the 24 hours if I remember well...needless to say the comm was quite dead at this point, but still...

Batts were 2000 sanyos, you had to have 15 or 20 chargers !

I also read an article on a 24 hour TL01 race in the early 2000's, the guys were injecting cold water in the motor with a syringe to cool it at every pack swap... haha. If I find them I'll scan the articles.

At the end of the summer my track will host a 2 hour race... it should be more than enough for an introduction to endurance ! Of course my team will race an xray...what else ?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
I am in............now, to just get the Tamiya build master on board..........Rob?
This would be awesome....If this happens i would do what I could to get out there for it.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have nothing to add to the discussion, except that I'm glad there is an interest in both endurance racing, and running in the rain. Both things I've wished to see take off for a long time.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by heretic
24 hours races were held every year at Le Touquet, France, during the 90's, every year or almost. It's a shame the race disapeared, perhaps because the Schumacher team used to kick everybody's ass every single year? Hell, the last year (1999 ish) they even took the same car as the previous year and won just the same. It had a fast pack swapping system, with a special chassis, you could change it from below. Motors were in the 15-17 range, and the 15 turn schumacher/corally motor (schumacher motors were rebadged corralys) survived the 24 hours if I remember well...needless to say the comm was quite dead at this point, but still...

Batts were 2000 sanyos, you had to have 15 or 20 chargers !

I also read an article on a 24 hour TL01 race in the early 2000's, the guys were injecting cold water in the motor with a syringe to cool it at every pack swap... haha. If I find them I'll scan the articles.

At the end of the summer my track will host a 2 hour race... it should be more than enough for an introduction to endurance ! Of course my team will race an xray...what else ?
Tru that. It is that battery swap system I copied. Shumacher used connectors but I did it with touch so it is even faster. Could have made it nicer if I had more time.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Don't pretend like you don't know why we're going treaded.

now that i've re-read your post - sounds like a plan

Last edited by k_bojar; 06-25-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

couldn't resist, I am in the process of trying to dig out that magazine to see the pics. wondering if the Schuie Motors were not rather orions. whatever. Jansen inside
Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by heretic
couldn't resist, I am in the process of trying to dig out that magazine to see the pics. wondering if the Schuie Motors were not rather orions. whatever. Jansen inside
Got them all. RCM, Auto 8,...
First they did that race with buggy's. It was Corally motors back then. With touring I think Corally, Schumacher and Orion motors all have one. For cars: Schumacher and HPI if I can remember.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If the race happen, I am sure I can built at least one Canadian team.

J-P
Old 06-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spiderone
If the race happen, I am sure I can built at least one Canadian team.

J-P

WE'VE GONE INTERNATIONAL BABY!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

WE'VE GONE INTERNATIONAL BABY!
this is gonna get real interesting
Old 06-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Fyi, the fastest build time for the TT01 last year was about 40mins. It doesn't take long, organized well.

Each team was allocated a colour and got 1 can of Tamiya spray as part of the package. This helps id the cars easily for spectators and to know who you are passing/being passed by!

Battery changing millisecond efficiency is less important than consistent lapping, so I wouldn't get hung up on it. Infact the point is that everyone has to do it the same way... But yes cutting the little edge triangles out to fit a lipo was/is legal.

Slicks work ok whatever condition, as the TT01 is 4wd and as everyone runs the same its not an issue. Slippy slidy in the wet is alot of fun.

I know it sounds like it sucks/is slow but std silver can and Tamiya stock black esc's last the distance no problem, are cheap and come with the kit, and its more than enough to have alot of fun with. Blowing a motor costs around 5 dollars, and or a lap penalty.

Great to hear you planning on doing one in the US. GO FOR IT!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:39 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shangrila
Fyi, the fastest build time for the TT01 last year was about 40mins. It doesn't take long, organized well.

Each team was allocated a colour and got 1 can of Tamiya spray as part of the package. This helps id the cars easily for spectators and to know who you are passing/being passed by!

Battery changing millisecond efficiency is less important than consistent lapping, so I wouldn't get hung up on it. Infact the point is that everyone has to do it the same way... But yes cutting the little edge triangles out to fit a lipo was/is legal.

Slicks work ok whatever condition, as the TT01 is 4wd and as everyone runs the same its not an issue. Slippy slidy in the wet is alot of fun.

I know it sounds like it sucks/is slow but std silver can and Tamiya stock black esc's last the distance no problem, are cheap and come with the kit, and its more than enough to have alot of fun with. Blowing a motor costs around 5 dollars, and or a lap penalty.

Great to hear you planning on doing one in the US. GO FOR IT!
good info thank you sir!

R
Old 06-25-2010, 04:20 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

no law in saying we couldnt look back to the past and incorporate some 'RCO' rules in stipulating a 22T pinion with the kit to ramp things up a bit for jackson's nice track.

could endurance racing be what saves onroad, helps nuture it, and gets people back to enjoying the hobby. b/c honestly when u dont even enjoy the parts/kits/extras etc when they show up at ur door, but simply see them as the latest bits that wont leave u totally outclassed....thats not good at all.

R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.