Wiki Posts
Search

The right ride height

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default The right ride height

Guys was just wondering how you would defina the RIGHT ride height?? Would it be when the side of your chassis is not scraping on the track or should it be as low as possible??

Im currently running a 415 in its stock height, which is preety much a good clearance from the ground only i still find the sides of the chassis scrapping.

All opinions are welcome.

-Luie
Old 05-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Chassis touching the ground is undesirable - it takes weight off the wheels (losing grip) and unsettles the car.

If you're getting anything more than just the occasional scrape on the ground, the right height is too low, or the spring/damper is too soft.

Is you chassis touching as your car rolls mid-corner, or is it hitting bumps in the track?

If it's a roll-related scrape, limit roll with suspension tuning (stiffer/anti-roll bar/camber link change). If it's bump related scrape, raise the ride height a little (you could also stiffen the suspension a little so you have less compression over the bumps, the car will "skip" over them, losing a little traction).
Old 05-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

If your car is set at the correct ride height, nothing should scrap on the ground, also when setting ride height remember to have everything in your car (battery, motor etc.).
Old 05-21-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

The car is scraping on cornering as far as im concerned because the scratches are only one the sides of chassis and the middle is barely hitting anything very mild scrapes also, grip i have no problems infact its perfect although i would want it to have little more oversteer. Maybe if i use stiffer springs it would rectify the problem.

The only issue is when i race on a bumpy track must revert back to softer spring, isnt it?? In this case would i race the ride height more??
Old 05-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

If you are racing at a track there may be minimum ride hieght rules in place. A PRECC its 5mm. If the scruitineer can't slide a cd single case under your car then its illegal and you are removed from the results of the race
Old 05-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by jiggen5354
If you are racing at a track there may be minimum ride hieght rules in place. A PRECC its 5mm. If the scruitineer can't slide a cd single case under your car then its illegal and you are removed from the results of the race
Chen

The car is not tooo low, im just curious about ride height in general.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

I agree with sosidge. If only your sides are scraping during a turn, you suspension is a little soft.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Headbanger
I agree with sosidge. If only your sides are scraping during a turn, you suspension is a little soft.
Thanks for all the help. The car worked much better.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Adjust center of gravity and roll centers when adjusting ride height to find a good ride height position.