Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TC Kit & class suggestions >

TC Kit & class suggestions

TC Kit & class suggestions

Old 05-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up TC Kit & class suggestions

I've never owned an electric TC, but have run TC nitro and electric trucks [way back in the 80s], so ......

Good intermediate-to advance kit? Most LHS stock Traxxas, AE, HPI, Losi & Xray.

Stock or mod? Both are popular at the LHS track/club race days.

I prefer metric kits [math is so much simpler & buying SAE tools and accessories isn't an issue]; best metric kit and/or SAE kit?

Belts or shaft?

Help shape my decision or just confuse the heck out of me! LOL

Thanks & ^5s!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

start off with a TC3, with a Monster Stock motor which is fast enough for starters.

Also and Xray T1R isnt a bad car to start off with either, very adjustable,reliable,durable, and if you find a good store online and you can get it for inexpensive price.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Default Xray T1R

What are you asking for it [saw your comment].
Old 05-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

oh really sorry i already sold mine, lol i should take that off.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

I'd suggest a TB Evolution III ($229 at ultimatehobbies.com)
You can get parts for these things almost anywhere that carries any Tamiya stuff (all TA04 Suspension componants)

All metric & Tamiya kits have very good instructions....The TB Evolution III is a very competative car. I'd suggest getting a set of 30-70 wt shock oils & a full spring set for your car right away

X-ray is also a strong car but I hear they are hard to setup & few people run them in my area

Also you'll need a motor lathe ($100) and I'd say if you have driving experience start with a race-tuned monster stock or a strong 19 turn. I've had very bad luck with non-race tuned Trinity stock motors (specifically the Monster) simply because they are duds. If you get a Race-Tuned Monster stock then chances are its NOT a dud if it gets sold to you....

Note: I do not disencourage you from buying any motors directly from Trinity, just Monster Stocks...
Old 05-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the insight.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

i would get the evo 3 the evo 4 wil come out soon i would get either the tc3 the xxxs or the t1 factory team they are all race winning cars and all are very good
Old 05-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default x-ray

The X-ray is very easy to drive and setup. I've driven a TC3,
xxx-s, and x-ray. the x-ray would be the smoothest of the 3, but you'll find help from alot more racers on the two American cars. Not to mention the X-ray is the most durable of the three. JMO.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default suggestion..

I'd have to say .. buy the car you feel is for you .. Then see if the parts support from your LHS will keep you running .. It never hurts to have spares if your LHS is closed while your running ..most cars are durable and will depend on its use .. on or off the track... So have fun and good luck racing...
Old 05-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

I'd recommend the TC3 because you can find parts anywhere, and it is a solid-performing car.
Starting out, get a stock motor, either a Monster Stock or Epic Binary2.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:02 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I owned an XXX-S and a TC3, I have upgrade my TC3 with the BMI Chassis and it works great. The XXX-S never was as easy to drive as my TC3 is until they made a bunch of upgrades to it, but I still perfer my TC3.

That said, if you want a vehicle whose parts are pretty tough, the X-Ray takes the cake over my TC3. The TC3 with some protection parts is a good kit, but The X-Ray can really take a thrashing.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally posted by Cain
I owned an XXX-S and a TC3, I have upgrade my TC3 with the BMI Chassis and it works great. The XXX-S never was as easy to drive as my TC3 is until they made a bunch of upgrades to it, but I still perfer my TC3.

That said, if you want a vehicle whose parts are pretty tough, the X-Ray takes the cake over my TC3. The TC3 with some protection parts is a good kit, but The X-Ray can really take a thrashing.
If ever you have enough budget get the FT TC3.. It runs smooth as the x-ray and xxx-s.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Go Xray. Very easy to build, (practically shake the box and its together), very durable, parts are cheap and easy to get, very easy to setup, (you can win races with the car box stock and setup per instruction, I have), And the initial price is cheap for what you get with it. In my area, we have ALOT of guys running Xrays especally T1R but some are getting the Factory kit. All the TC3 and XXXS are having a hard time to keep up. The car is ALOT more durable than TC3, Evo 3, XXXS, and SD's. I say buy the T1R, put the low ratio pulley set in it, and start winning.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

I'm leaning toward the Xray but I'm curious about the Taniya cars and the Barracuda.

Any ideas about these two?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tamiya TRF415 is a very very good car! I would consider it over the Xray
But both kits might be an overkill for semi beginner...

You might also want to take a look at HPI Pro 4

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.