Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Can I be competitive with a brushed motor? >

Can I be competitive with a brushed motor?

Can I be competitive with a brushed motor?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 PM
  #16  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FrostyDude View Post
Wow, I had no idea. I had been wondering why there was a "Spec" version offered of certain speed controls.

Is any brand of "Spec" speed control eligible for the controlled class? I have always liked the Novak and Tekin stuff, so I would rather get one of those.
ROAR does have a list of "spec" speedos:

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/...l_ESC_List.pdf

Tekin is the...well my...speedo of choice. Mainly because of the free software upgrades. Tekin will be releasing the "spec" software sometime soon. So if you run a Tekin the ESC will be good for whatever racing you want to do. Of course that's my opinion...and MANY others will agree with me on that. Several guys at the track run Tekin RS's.
PitNamedGordie is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 04:00 PM
  #17  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 238
Default spec software on speedos

Originally Posted by FrostyDude View Post
Wow, I had no idea. I had been wondering why there was a "Spec" version offered of certain speed controls.

Is any brand of "Spec" speed control eligible for the controlled class? I have always liked the Novak and Tekin stuff, so I would rather get one of those.
The newer speedos from Tekin (RS, RSPro), Novak (Kinetic), more than likely the Advance Electronics and others will have a Spec profile that is agreed on by all. So in my IMO it would be safe to go with your preferences.
flyernemesis is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 PM
  #18  
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

Originally Posted by pejota View Post
I think track size plays into the mix as well... smaller track, 27 turn should be able to hang.

Larger tracks and the turbo/timing boost puts the 27 turn to shame.
+1 totally agree.

I race at a track that is only 10x15metres and there is not much difference between a good 27t motor and a 13.5 with boost.

theres only so much power you can utilise on a small track.

don't spend your money on a brushless system until you know its the motor that's holding you back.

If you are consistantly to 4/10ths of a second between your fastest and average lap times in a qualifier and not keeping up with the field, then theres a very good chance you need brushless to keep up with them.

Bigger tracks are different though, a good 27t just doesnt have the same grunt as a 13.5 with timing boost down the straight.
tc3team is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 05:24 PM
  #19  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 120
Default

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
ROAR does have a list of "spec" speedos:

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/...l_ESC_List.pdf

Tekin is the...well my...speedo of choice. Mainly because of the free software upgrades. Tekin will be releasing the "spec" software sometime soon. So if you run a Tekin the ESC will be good for whatever racing you want to do. Of course that's my opinion...and MANY others will agree with me on that. Several guys at the track run Tekin RS's.
Thanks for the list. I will probably get a Novak Havok or GTB eventually.

What is the story with Tekin anyway? I like and own their ESCs and chargers. However, I was confused how they went out of business for a while and then suddenly reappeared. It caused me to lose some faith in them.
FrostyDude is offline  
Old 06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
  #20  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FrostyDude View Post
Thanks for the list. I will probably get a Novak Havok or GTB eventually.

What is the story with Tekin anyway? I like and own their ESCs and chargers. However, I was confused how they went out of business for a while and then suddenly reappeared. It caused me to lose some faith in them.
No worries about Tekin now...they are back to being one of the best in the business! They're arguably the top ESC company out there. For racers, Tekin is second to none. They are usually the company others are shooting to beat. Novak and LRP are always a good choices too and have more flavors of ESC's to meet different needs and price points. I could rave about Tekin for awhile...but you have time to figure out what you really need to buy.

And I'd go with the Havoc if Novak is your choice. The Havoc ESC/motor combos are cheap and high quality, but the GTB is a bit long in the tooth. The Novak Kinetic will be the new high end ESC from Novak replacing the GTB. Nor sure if they'll continue the GTB after that.
PitNamedGordie is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.