Community
Wiki Posts
Search

corner dots, one of the worst thinks to hit Mike's hobbyshop

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Instead of corner dots use a thin sheet of painted lexan at the end of the corner marker, it helps alot on the track we race and usually you are aiming for the bright yellow lexan sheet rather than the square box section behind it. We also have flappers at the end of the square pipe, much kinder to 1/12th.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PrimeAKF11
I have never raced a 12th scale, but as a TC racer, I like corner dots. They look much more realistic than a rounded piece of PVC pipe. You don't see 'click track' barriers on full scale race tracks; IMO, RC tracks should be the same way.
You also don't see huge 15' domes in ever corner at full scale tracks either..
Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PrimeAKF11
I have never raced a 12th scale, but as a TC racer, I like corner dots. They look much more realistic than a rounded piece of PVC pipe. You don't see 'click track' barriers on full scale race tracks; IMO, RC tracks should be the same way.
Yang,

At NorCal, on the carpet, we use the small plastic orange discs with Velcro glued to the bottom. They stick to the carpet and will not move therefore marking the corners very well so that you can see them out of the corner of your eye well before you get the corner which helps you with your lines and braking points. They are not high enough to upset 1/12th other than to slow them down a little if you get on top of them. Maybe ¼” high at the most. I have never seen one of the small orange dots launch a 1/12th. However, you will need to clean them occasionally as the traction compound does mark them up to the point that it makes the harder to see. Tim Copp knows where to buy them.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashby
Yang,

At NorCal, on the carpet, we use the small plastic orange discs with Velcro glued to the bottom. They stick to the carpet and will not move therefore marking the corners very well so that you can see them out of the corner of your eye well before you get the corner which helps you with your lines and braking points. They are not high enough to upset 1/12th other than to slow them down a little if you get on top of them. Maybe ¼” high at the most. I have never seen one of the small orange dots launch a 1/12th. However, you will need to clean them occasionally as the traction compound does mark them up to the point that it makes the harder to see. Tim Copp knows where to buy them.
cool. i will call the old guy and ask him
Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Initiate

These might work. They are hpi parts.

9059 6 Micro Track Dots (8"/Orange/6 pcs)

http://archive.hpiracing.com/graphics/parts/9059.jpg
Old 06-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
do they make some small enough to not launch a 1/12? i have not seen any in that size before
We use the Losi mini dots, and they do not send the M18s flying:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB1013

I like corner dots, because it makes even the 180 turns ROUND. The bright colors make it easier to see when the sun goes down(even with decent lights, it's still better with the dots) I raced on a large out door track with larger corner dots, and nobody whined about them. Put simply, if you keep hitting them, you don't need to remove them, you need more practice.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I dislike corner dots, no reason for them, as far as realistic, you mean like the 32" tires we run on our realistic RC cars.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
no surprises, he knows he is old
Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

I would rather clip a corner dot with my 1/12th than clip a corner board and break a front arm. Even with the Road Domes I don't find that my car goes flying all that far...most times it just unsettles them. But the track we ran 1/12th at was small and not as fast as the tracks on the mainland so we didn't have the speeds for cars to go flying off the dots.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

no surprises, he knows he is old
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Don't Make me use my walker on you guys. But Just for you Yang this is what you want for Mike's Carpet
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...146&p_catid=16
Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Just wondering what is the purpose of corner dots if the track has flappers on the corners?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by steve crane
Just wondering what is the purpose of corner dots if the track has flappers on the corners?
CRANE!!!! the other old man that I know. lol

how's it hanging? i think corner dots make you feel like you are on a real 1:1 track with the run off areas. On a real track, I like ones with run offs more then ones with concrete walls. so maybe I should like rc tracks with dots. hmmm. maybe I should just go back to 1:1 track events.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Our asphalt track has red and white striped run off areas...but for the white stripe they used floor tiles so it makes those areas bumpy to slow the cars down without sending the cars flying like with road dots. The problem though is some cars will catch the vinyl tiles and either get caught or rip the vinyl.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

We have a motto at our track that I often break.

Stop Hittin' Sh-t.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.