R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default HELP with checking for lipo damage.

I had my turnigy hard case pack to fly out today. I got back and see if the pack still worked at all in the car; it did, the black wire on the balance plug also got ripped, so i spliced and twistd it back together. then i put it on th echrger and charged it at .1 amps for a few sex.. I noticed that one cell oscillated at 4.03/4.04 alot more than the other, which stayed at 4.1. I stepped it up to 3 amps for less than a min, and they both stayed about the same at 4.06/4.05. still not alot of movement from the other cell.

Can someone tell me everything is ok?? how do i know if the lipo is as good as before?

You aint messin wit my dougie..
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL1031 View Post
I had my turnigy hard case pack to fly out today. I got back and see if the pack still worked at all in the car; it did, then i put it on th echrger and charged it at .1 amps for a few sex.. I noticed that one cell oscillated at 4.03/4.04 alot more than the other, which stayed at 4.1. I stepped it up to 3 amps for less than a min, and they both stayed about the same at 4.06/4.05. still not alot of movement from the other cell.

Can someone tell me everything is ok?? how do i know if the lipo is as good as before?
is it hardcase?

If it is, is the case broken?

If not is are the cells physically damaged?

charging at .1 amp isn't going to tell you much, and if your pack is fluctuating .01 amps you're worrying about nothing
Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Tech Addict

it is hardcase, no swelling. i kno its normal for it to fluctuate, but one seemed to be still. both are rising now charging at 4.5 amps and are balancing.

I just didnt want to fire it up at 5 amps if something was wrong. their really isnt a way to check the battery without charging it on my charger either.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Tech Addict

So now over time I see that one cell discharges faster than the other. Just now I plug in for a charge and the cells are .2 in difference from each other. Could this be because of shock?

The pack charges to 8.4 volts and each cell can balance perfectly, but this Diferrence occured within a 30min run. Also hadn't soldered the BLACK wire on the balance plug back. It's still twisted end to end.

Btw this was 30 min from a partial charge.

Last edited by JKL1031; 06-30-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Any advice.

Yep, one is havin ahrd time getting over 4.15v. I'll try again next cycle...

Last edited by JKL1031; 07-01-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Tech Addict

So whats been happening is ive been stopping the charge once i saw one cell at 4.2 and even the other pretty close like 4.17. After only running for 20 mins yesterday at the track from one of these so called full charges, I decided to go ahead and let the charger continue to balance the other cell up to 4.2 and it seems to be going. However im looking at about an hour just to go from 4.17 to 4.2.(this is understandable since its chargign at 0.x amp rates when the pack is near full)

My question is: Will it always take this long for the second cell to charge after this or not?

If the cell is bad, can i blame it on impact, or turnigy brand? People stand by them, and i believe they are good. Other wise their is a trak power battery at my LHS for $100

Help much appreciated.