Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation for a Solid Beginner Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Questions?? Recommendation for a Solid Beginner Car

Looking for a good beginner car. Have truck and am interested in going to a sedan next.

Recommendations for a solid performer? Thinking of a TC5.

Thoughts?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Get a good car for the first, i have a HB cyclone S with team orion brushless motor and LrP Brushless esc. Super fast let me know, and have A lot of extra pieces!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Look at a Tamiya TA05, Xray T2R, Hot Bodies Cyclone S. They are all great platforms to get your feet wet in touring cars. They may not be at the top of the bling factor, but they are all solid performers than won't break the bank.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the new t3r from xray would be a good starter car .by the way nice avatar .
Old 06-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

honestly i hear people recommend top end cars all the time to beginners. I think the opposite cause those cars have so much adjustability, and theres a chance its only going to get bashed up.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Actually, the cars suggested so far aren't top of the line race chassis. I'm pretty impressed with whats been said. Normally you'd see a few people telling him to buy the newest hot rod. The only thing I might add is to also consider older, used chassis that were "top of the line" in their day. For VTA and RCGT I run the Losi XXX-S. They can be bought pretty inexpensively. The TC4, Schumacher MI3 and 3.5,Tamiya 415 and Evo 4or 5......all examples of excellent cars that could be found for less than you could buy any reasonable new chassis.
But JKL1031 is right.....if it's just a basher car then buy cheap !!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

DF-03RA!

Fully closed drivetrain, durable, can be made into a buggy if you chance your mind. Can be used for rally as well as onroad its cheap and its tamiya quality.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-tam...7-p-27887.html

open drivetrain cars is like saying: hey this car is very reliable, except you cant drive it anywhere else than on a smooth onroad track.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

I appreciate everyone's recommendation. Good stuff! Now I have a starting place to search.

Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm a beginner and I'm running a TC4. It seems very durable and parts (if needed) are easy to get. I see lots of them from rollers to rtr pretty cheap in the "for sale" section on this site.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by 37racing
I'm a beginner and I'm running a TC4. It seems very durable and parts (if needed) are easy to get. I see lots of them from rollers to rtr pretty cheap in the "for sale" section on this site.
Excellent. It was my original first choice. Then I got lost in all the other options available. I am leaning towards AE (I run a SC10). I like the TC4. Also looking at the TC5.

I need to spend a little more time talking to the Sedan racers. This is a great hobby!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldpugva
Excellent. It was my original first choice. Then I got lost in all the other options available. I am leaning towards AE (I run a SC10). I like the TC4. Also looking at the TC5.

I need to spend a little more time talking to the Sedan racers. This is a great hobby!
I also run a Tc4. It was my first car- the RTR version. Then i got the FT TC4. It drives better, and its extremely durable. Its been a great starter car. I've been to 6 club races so far, and i'm only 14, and i'm still able to compete in the novice class with others.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TC4Racer123
I also run a Tc4. It was my first car- the RTR version. Then i got the FT TC4. It drives better, and its extremely durable. Its been a great starter car. I've been to 6 club races so far, and i'm only 14, and i'm still able to compete in the novice class with others.
Excellent recommendation! Thanks!

I wish I would have purchased the FT SC10. I bought the RTR. It is ok, but I see that I will move beyond this soon.

Appreciate the input.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Im 15 and have had the team kit of the tc4 for 5 years now and there are some upgrades that are needed but parts are very easy to come by and are cheap. I have done very well at our local club with it but i have recently obtained a t2'009 and for me it is alot better. Members of the club that i race at have told me that i have driven it as far as i can and that the belt drive of the 009 makes me a more fluent/better driver. Even with that said i still race my tc4 in vta and have no future plans to get rid of it. If you do get it, pm me and i will give you a list of the upgrades that have been very useful to me.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive been competitively racing since 94, and have tried all kinds of chassis. A Tc4 is a great platform to start with, and will do you well up till you are consistent within 3 tenths or so per lap. The FT is a better performer, but you cant beat the durability and simplicity of the tub car.

Personally, i would stay away from a Tc5. Its not the benchmark of belt drive that the Tc3 was for shaft drive. If you want a belt car, i would look elsewhere. Regardless, whatever car you get... maintain it and just wheel it.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by DaveW
Ive been competitively racing since 94, and have tried all kinds of chassis. A Tc4 is a great platform to start with, and will do you well up till you are consistent within 3 tenths or so per lap. The FT is a better performer, but you cant beat the durability and simplicity of the tub car.

Personally, i would stay away from a Tc5. Its not the benchmark of belt drive that the Tc3 was for shaft drive. If you want a belt car, i would look elsewhere. Regardless, whatever car you get... maintain it and just wheel it.
Thanks Dave. You are the first person to dissuade the TC5. I have been looking at it and it is a complex platform for a beginner.

I think the TC4 is the way to go. Start with stock and then move on up or just get another platform for mod.

Thanks to everyone for the information!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.