R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Paragon Traction Action

Has anyone tried this stuff? My local track is opening up their carpet track soon and due to their location (in a mall) Paragon Ground Effects and the like aren't going to be allowed cause of the smell. Ground Effects has worked awesome for me, but as you all know, its just a 'little' bit of a strong smell. Has anyone used Traction action? Does it work well? How strong is the smell? The track hobby shop is pushing Trinity Zip Free, but it still has at least a light smell, so if the Traction Action isn't at least knock you over strong it should be ok....
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

i wish i could comment on the traction action, but i haven't used it.

but i have used jack and niftech odor free compounds. both are very good, but the niftech won't hurt your track, and is much less tempermental with regards to when you apply it. only you pretty much have to hit the track with your tires wet for it to last a full five or eight minutes because of the volatiles in it. i like it alot, but i find myself re-applying it two or three times between heats to keep alot of moisture in the foam. that can cost alot when you go through a bottle in three weeks.

i thought this might help some, unless you are reserved to use only paragon products.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. I'm not at all reserved to using only Paragon products, but after some searches I found a little info on Niftech and Jack but absolutely none on traction action. Doesn't seem like theres a ton of info about the oderless traction compounds out there.

Any other comments or opinions would be very welcome.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to JDXray

niftech is very good. Jack the Gripper also. Right now i am using Paragon Ground Effects, i think it smells fine with that kinda minty smell, but if it isnt allowed at your track i guess you can pick up a bottle of Niftech.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Jack The Gripper works well for foam tires but i didnt care for it with rubber tires

Many people around this area opt for TQ Mod or TQ Blue for rubber
Old 05-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
Tech Elite

whoops, i didn't even think of rubber. my comments were based on application to foam tires.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I didn't think of rubber either actually. I'll be running foam tires for sure, so thats a factor as well.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:02 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I have never used this Traction Action ... but I do race with an Associated Factory Driver at my local track and this past winter he was testing something new for Paragon .. an odorless form of paragon .. he never did say the name of it or if it was going to be released to the public .. but when he was testing it .. his car looked just as good as when he was using regular paragon ... again ... I dont know if this traction action is what he was testing .. but whatever he was testing I want a bottle ....

as far as Jack The Gripper ... if you use it watch it .. a bunch of racers at my local track had reactions to it made their hands cramp up bad. I have personally never used it cause of that.

TQ ... nice stuff ... kinda greasy for the first few laps ... but then ok for up to an 8 minute run when using TQ plus .. it also works its way into the carpet and makes the carpet sticky after extended use by a lot of drivers ... so the track might not like that .. I use this outdoors on rubber mostly or when I go to a non paragon track ( I try to stay away from that one tho ) .... also this stuff tends to build up on foams ... so after a few runs ... hit your tires with some motor spray and then dry em off ... let totally air dry .. then reapply the TQ

have fun racing
roddude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:50 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Default Traction

What about racing on an out door trach does any of this stuff work on foam tires outdoors. Does anyone have any expreience with it in these conditions.
Yokomo Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Traction Action and the Niftec stuff are FAR from odor free... And while odor is one thing... the real issue is safety. Your nose is a very poor judge of the safety of a chemical used to increase traction.
insideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:27 PM   #11
Tech Elite

yeah, i haven't used the traction action, but the niftech does have an odor out of the bottle. and i'm sure it's dangerous to your health.

a big issue that niftech and some of the other "odor free" compounds succeed at is the perception of being odor free. with paragon, the wintergreen oil and its vapors penetrate everything they come in contact with, it almost never goes away. the odor free compounds won't leave your car, pit boxes, towels, or your house smelling like pepto bismol. they won't smell at all after the moisture is gone. and that is a primary concern for any big races held at repectable hotels.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

At our track we use alot of the TQ products. Orange and Blue for rubber tires, Purple for foams and 8 min for 12th scale. They build up alot of traction in hte carpet. They don't evaporate like the Paragon does. I have tried that new Paragon at our track and it worked really well without the smell. But, if you want alot of traction and to go fast try the TQ's, It does work pretty well for foams.

RRR
RedRocketRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:10 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Our track uses couny fairgrounds buildings that need to be smell free. We only alow TQ Orange. Seems to work well for us on rubber and foam and once the groove gets worked in the track is pretty dialed. We had someone test the oderless Paragon stuff at our track last season without permission and the stuff was faster but you could deffinetly smell it and it was only one car, so I could only imagin what it would smell like if you used it all day. As far as Jack the Gripper, never used it but it does have a definite odor in the can. Just my .02 cents.

Ruben
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:50 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Traction Action and the Niftec stuff are FAR from odor free... And while odor is one thing... the real issue is safety. Your nose is a very poor judge of the safety of a chemical used to increase traction.
insideline, what traction compound do you think is safe?

IMO: NONE
RC4SALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:37 AM   #15
Tech Adept

I have been using traction action for about 2 months now. I have found that It works just as good as anyting else out there that I have tried.

I do race mod oval, but if it workes for me, it should have no problem working for you in TC. I have tried it in 1/12 scale, but I only race it once a month, if even that.

I dont race at tracks that make me run oderless compound, but I really do like the Paragon TA stuff. It works better then Jack the Slipper, and is on par with Stick-Et, and regular Paragon.

The only difference that I have found, is that the Stick-Et, seems to grab harder the first lap then anything else out there, but can fade away a little faster then paragon at the end, but that depends on how you drive it and how much motor you have in it.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote