R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I personally have a shot of Paragon every morning. It's the only thing that alleviates the withdrawl symptoms when I'm not at the track.

This discussion has been repeated on every forum a thousand times. My personal opinion, (shared by Mr. Lufaso), is that Ground Effects has not been proven to be anymore dangerous than ANY other compound, and since it is BY FAR the best in terms of performance, why use anything else?
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yea.....what he said.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:53 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mmmhmm,

Keeps me going thru the summer when I'm not racing carpet!

Rick Vessell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:17 AM   #34
Tech Elite

use in a well ventilated area, and if possible have a computer fan next to the car SUCKING and blowing AWAY the fumes, so you are not breathing the shit.

never used traction compound but i have recently purchased some products by trinity called tangerine tyre tack and a addictive calledtire tweak 2000.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The smell of Paragon Ground Effects has always been overpowering. We racers kinda get used to it, but new people visiting a track for the first time always leave with a headache.

Whatever happened to FX2?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:47 AM   #36
ml
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ml Send a message via Yahoo to ml Send a message via Skype™ to ml

jim, these comments are not targeted specifically at you, but are just a few of my general comments.

Yes, the smell of Paragon Ground Effects can be strong. Are you sure that's what's causing the headaches? What about the large amounts of motor sprays being used, often directly over a trash can with a nice mixture of plastics? What about the traction compounds that you can't smell (as much)? What about cigarette smoke? Most tracks need more ventillation. Most people wouldn't paint a room, finish furniture, do any other activity involving volatile chemicals without proper ventillation. I put more detailed comments on the web page listed previously.

Very often, it is the chemicals that you can't smell that are much worse for you. An example is natural gas, delivered to you as a mixture of mainly methane and mercaptan. Methane is a colorless, odorless, and dangerous gas. The mercaptan, often methyl mercaptan, is what you smell and is naturally found in the body and in other natural sources (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts139.html). Although it doesn't have a pleasant odor, I can tell you I'd much rather be in a room with the mercaptan than odorless methane.

If you want to talk about dangerous, lets talk about rubbing the traction into your tires, soldering your battery pack in, then eating your fries and cheeseburger without thoroughly washing all the chemicals and tin/lead off of your hands.

I still think that the contents of all traction compounds and motor sprays should be disclosed by the manufacturers. If the companies don't want to release the content list, then the Consumer Product Safety Commission would be a good place to start. That's not my battle to fight ... but I would be more than happy to tabulate the list if given the proper information, then each racers/tracks can make up their mind on what to use/allow.

Ian: I thought you followed the Paragon shot with a shot of Jagermeister to get the morning started? Or was it the other way around?

-ml
ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:16 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

IN my opinion-if everyone is running the same traction compound-traction action is a fine alternative Ground effects.

Talking strickly from a perspective of performance and not health my thoughts go like this:

Niftech-works best if there is a solid groove of paragon in the track. Grip level is very high on first lap so you can lay it down out of the gate. Sometimes in low/medium grip days in 12th scale-traction will wear off the rears and your loose.

Jack the Gripper- I thnk its true that a track run with half the guys running paragon and the other half running JTG-has some weird handling. Everyone running JTG can lead to slimy traction that ruins/gums up the carpet. Closes cells on foam tires so first run on stored tires can be very low grip. Also-if you go offline on JTG-it can take a lap to get traction back.

Traction action-this is hardest to explain-but I think the car tends to lose front traction mid-corner when I run this stuff. LIke itturns in well-that the front washes out thenregrips. why?? I dont know-just my opnion.

Ground effects-By far the greatest traction additive going still in my eyes. Its lays down a better groove in the track that feels the most locked in of all the compounds. Most consistent handling as well. Once the Paragon groove is established in a track-the I thik its better to try JTG or Niftech to dial in your handling. Sometimes when running Ground effects in high bite its best to have multiple sets of tires and try not to do too many reruns.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
Ian: I thought you followed the Paragon shot with a shot of Jagermeister to get the morning started? Or was it the other way around?

-ml

Generally it's Pargon then Jagermeister, but some mornings i mix it up a bit.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to dakilo
Default TQ RED

I have finally ran out of TQ Red, does anyone know where I can buy some in the USA, was it discontinued a few yrs back. Tq red was for clay.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Intetesting reading in the uk it has been a number of years since we have been allowed to run anything with the smell of deep heat(wintergreen).On foams we have been using cs grip,but now they have been trying spider grip green can/for foams,or orange for outdoors on rubber.
Quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Queue Dirla in 3........2.......1........
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote