Electric Motor Brushes coming loose...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric Motor Brushes coming loose...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Electric Motor Brushes coming loose...

I recently dusted off my ol' original RC10T truck for a spin, removed the brushes for inspection, as far as I can tell were good to go (at least for a little driveway driving)... After re-installing them they seem to come loose after the slightest jiggle, and the motor stops running.

I never thought much about how the springs went in, could I be installing them wrong? The hook side is down, and the flat side in going into the little tab... But it doesn't seem to hold the bush in there securely. Or is it simply that the spring has lost tension?

1.) Is there a "improper" and "proper" way to install the sping.

2.) Will the sping loose enough tension over 10 years that it will allow the brush to loose contact???
Old 05-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Maybe the brushes are so worn down that the spring has very little contact and not providing enough tension to hold the brush down to the comm.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:30 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Electric Motor Brushes coming loose...

Originally posted by Kai_Fuller
I recently dusted off my ol' original RC10T truck for a spin, removed the brushes for inspection, as far as I can tell were good to go (at least for a little driveway driving)... After re-installing them they seem to come loose after the slightest jiggle, and the motor stops running.

I never thought much about how the springs went in, could I be installing them wrong? The hook side is down, and the flat side in going into the little tab... But it doesn't seem to hold the bush in there securely. Or is it simply that the spring has lost tension?

1.) Is there a "improper" and "proper" way to install the sping.

2.) Will the sping loose enough tension over 10 years that it will allow the brush to loose contact???
Kai - Pull the motor out of the truck to inspect it. Pull back on the brush shunts, and let go. You should hear a nice "snap" as it pushes back against the com. If it barely sets back in, they definately need to be replaced. The springs could have worn out, or the brushes could also be to short, and need replacing too.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:32 AM
Tech Addict

The brushes might be sticking in the brushhoods because of dust or dirt. Clean everything out and try again. If the brushes are free but still do not make contact they might be too short.