R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #121
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

Big G

Thats going back a ways, we did have some good times there though.

Can you believe it's been nearly 5 years now since I moved out. I race on road only these days, 12th and Sedan.

I still have that ministock too.

Chris.
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:17 PM   #122
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

crimson YGPM sir.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #123
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to galway

I just recieved my pro-trak yesteday and have been very impressed with it so far. The one problem I have been having is that when I cycle or disharge cells I always get a match of 0 for the pack and each individual cell. I get voltages for all cells which leads me to believe the connection wires are all hooked up correctly.

Another question I have is about the banna plugs on the charging wires. The manual says they are for corally plugs, and not to attach alligator clips to them or it will throw off the numbers. What are you supposed to do if you don't use corally plugs? It came with alligators to attach to the bannas, and I used those yesterday. Should I not be doing this?
galway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:14 PM   #124
Tech Adept

galway,

I'm glad if my advice is helpful to you.

Quote:
Another question I have is about the banna plugs on the charging wires. The manual says they are for corally plugs, and not to attach alligator clips to them or it will throw off the numbers. What are you supposed to do if you don't use corally plugs? It came with alligators to attach to the bannas, and I used those yesterday. Should I not be doing this?
You can use alligator clips. I am also using alligator clips at track side. However, when you want to measure the voltage of a cell correctly (for example, when you want to know balance of a battery pack), you should use corally connector.
The contact by alligator clips is not stabilized. For this reason, the data of Cell1, Cell6, and Pack Voltage becomes unstable.
Charge current is smaller than discharge current. Therefore, in charge, it may not become a big problem. However, since large current flows in discharge, it is a big problem.

I compared the voltage loss of alligator clips and corally connector. Please see the appended jpeg file. The upper graph is Pack Voltage when discharging using alligator clips. For the bottom, graph is Pack Voltage when using corally connector.

I was setting calibration data to 0 at this time. Therefore, there is a difference in the voltage which pro-trak detects, and the actual voltage measured with the tester.
There is a difference of voltage as 0.3V at the time of aligator clip. It is a difference within 0.1V at the time of corally connector.

The example of aligator clip is worst case. aligator clip resistance may become lower than this case. That is, it is not stabilized.
The data stabilized each time can be obtained in corally connector.

Please do not have misunderstanding !!
In lower graph, there is a difference in actual voltage and the voltage which pro-trak detected.This is because calibration data was set to 0 into this test. We can change calibration data of pro-trak. And such an error can be eliminated. In aligator clip, even if it changes calibration data at once, in the next contact, it is meaningless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ws000000.jpg (67.4 KB, 167 views)
Old 08-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #125
Tech Regular

okay a couple more newb questions. I download the calibration data from my unit and all offsets where set to 0 except 17=10, and 26=54. My unit came with a calibration printout that has many non-zero values on it. Should I use the numbers from the sheet? Are these just set from multimeter calibrations?

I did make some nice graphs cycling a pack and blew the minds of some of my coworkers, and a fellow racer with them. Nothing says badass like a graph. Well actually it might just be saying I am anal. In any case the graph is probably wrong anyway because my unit probably isn't calibrated properly.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:44 AM   #126
Tech Adept

You should input the value of calibration printout into your unit.
No. 1 of calibration table and No. 26 are automatically inputted by unit. Therefore, you do not need to input.

I believe that only pro-trak is BMS. In many cases, unit of the other company discharges by aligator clip. calibration can also do pro-trak. Calibrated unit can detect voltage correctly. The level is so high that it does not become as compared with unit of the other company.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #127
Tech Regular

I actually use deans plugs on my packs. If i made a corally to deans adaptor then went from the pro-trak's bananas into a deans to connect to the battery would that be a workable solution? The deans and corally connections would extend the length and the resistance of the connection a minor amount, but can these be fixed with offsets? You should be removing any instability.

The pro-trak is by no means plug and play, but I am sure when I get it all worked out it will be well worth it.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:00 PM   #128
Tech Fanatic

Hi Galway, you have PM

Kiyano,

I can help this guy out with his calibration, probably easier for me being on the same continent, I apologise for intruding but I thought it would be easier.

Also by the weekend I should using your program for some cycles, if you like I can share my results with you.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:35 PM   #129
Tech Regular

How is the Pro-Trak improved by using the temp detect module. Does it perform a more accurate charge, or is it simply an alternate way of detecting when a pack is charged?

Any comments from owners of the temp detect module would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:09 PM   #130
Tech Fanatic

Galway,

I like temp charge when the ambient tempereature is fairly low (up to 85 deg or so) I think it's safer as you have temp cutoff and also there is a safety delta which you can set also (I use about .08v for NiMh). The accuracy aspect can be argued from either side but there is less chance of a false peak from temp charging. I do like the Pro Trak's temp module having 4 temperature sensors, give you an idea if you have a bad cell.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:51 AM   #131
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
crimson eagle
I've read through the thread again and couldn't find anything on just what the screen displays when charging, discharging and cycling. And as far as I could understand, does the Pro-Trak have a motor run-in function that you have to purchase a separate piece of equipment to operate.
Let me first say that earlier in this thread Kiyano broke it down pretty good with his comparison of the Pro-Trak and the GFX T-35. Here's another comparison question, what about the Pro-Trak against Futaba's CDR-5000? (and when I say Pro-Trak, I mean the newer 30amp version) Also, how many cells can the Pro-Trak charge, dis-ch, and cycle @ one time?

- jaYBee

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:08 PM   #132
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Well - I can answer the first 2 points for you.
If you check the Pro-Trak web site - it has screen shots/diagrams of all screens during charge/discharge/cycle.

Motor break-in requires an additional piece of equipment ( a motor stand with some Pro-Trak electrickery inside), again - you will find details on the site
big_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:27 PM   #133
Tech Fanatic

Hi Jaybee,

I don't know much about the cdr charger, i have heard that some like it and I have heard that there is some problems with it. But I certainly don't want to bash it as I have no first hand experience with it. I will say that it looks nice.

The Pro Trak will give you all the info and cell breakdown on 6 cells. I have charged my 8 cell plane packs on mine but you will not get individual cell info when you charge that many at once.

Chris
Old 08-31-2004, 04:54 PM   #134
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default CDR

Chris,

Just letting you know that so far I am very happy with the CDR route, but still in the back of my mind a Pro-trak charger still pops up. I will definitely keep you in mind for my next charger purchase.

Regards,

Dan
Old 08-31-2004, 05:11 PM   #135
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007
Default Re: CDR

Quote:
Originally posted by danjoy25
Chris,

Just letting you know that so far I am very happy with the CDR route, but still in the back of my mind a Pro-trak charger still pops up. I will definitely keep you in mind for my next charger purchase.

Regards,

Dan

Dan,

You would be happy with the Pro Trak. I love mine, I can't wait for the 30amp version. I have heard great things about the cdr, but I really like the temp probe that the pro trak offers because of the 4 probes that monitor the batteries versus the 1 probe that the cdr has. That's the only thing that I have heard.

Take care.