R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #376
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whatīs the newest ROM version and what had been added or changed lately?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #377
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

v12,

What version do you have?

Chris
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #378
V12
Tech Elite

I have two Protraks. Iīm not completely sure but I think currently I have 10.11 and 10.33. I know of the 3 Phase charging and the support for the Windows software what was added since 10.78 but I think I have heard from anything even newer.
I want updating one of my Protraks so the windows software works. Just want to know if anything else was added or removed at the newest ROM-version. Maybe the warming function for the cells or something else.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #379
Tech Fanatic

V12.

Yes there is the cell warming, the MPCM charging and the new software support which you mentioned but there is also the CDAT software added since the version you have (Charge Developement Analysis Technology). You can read about CDAT on my website -

http://www.citlink.net/~kpngtrak/CDAT_Home.htm

Chris
Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #380
V12
Tech Elite

Chris
I have some other questions on the Protrak. Today I checked some of my gear including my Protraks and found some weird things. The older one with the 10.11 ROM is laying around since at least half a year as the display sometimes is working OK and sometimes shows weird readings. I have to send to Phil for repair but as I didnīt need two chargers lately and didnīt want spending money I just put it aside.
The second one is newer and was upgraded from an original 10.07 or 10.12 (donīt remember, have to put in the old ROM) to current 10.33.
This is the one I used for charging/discharging lately at the races. Never used any of the other functions with this unit until today. Today I wanted cycling my cells with the remote leads and my laptop. I have done this about 2 years ago on the other unit using the old DOS Graph Program and really worked good. But now the problem is the newer Protrak seems not working with the same laptop for any reason. I always get the message "Unable to get control of Protrak". What do you think could be the reason? Maybe the newer 10.33 ROM doesnīt work with the DOS program or maybe there is any fault in the Setup menu of the Protrak? Then tried the old Protrak again and the display worked again after switching on/off several times and I was able measure an old pack via the laptop. But it doesnīt make sense as the display starts working weird again after some time but at least shows it doesnīt has to do with the laptop or the seriel cable.
Another thing I found is the temperature probe also donīt want working again. In the past I sometimes did use but also itīs about half year ago and just was stored securely in the box most of the time as Iīm using the delta peak cutoff usually. Now if you select Temperature charge then there is the message "Temperature! connect Probe" but the Probe is connected. This is with both Protraks. I opened the units and checked if any of the wires came loose at the connectors or anything other could be seen but everything looks OK. I just noticed the batteries inside are a little low on 2.9 volts but I think that should have just an effect on loosing the settings.

Maybe want truying the older ROM again but Iīm not sure what to do now with the calibration. Just looked in the setup menue at the calibration figures and noticed there are completely differnet values showing than on the sheet supplied with the Protrak. My question is if you go into the menue with the calibration are the values you can see there exactly the same as the ones you have entered from the supplied datasheet or is it you are just seeing there some random values and you have to reenter the values for being secure the calibration is OK. Despite this the charge and discharge capacity is absolutely OK and there isnīt a false reading of 5000 what I have read anywhere.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #381
Tech Fanatic

V12,

The display issue I have seen once or twice on some older chargers and it's sometimes difficult to pin down the exact reason. I'd definitely have to point you to Phil on that one.

The temp probe issue does sound like a connection problem. you may want to check if the pins in the connectors have not corroded due to all the time sitting on the shelf, there is very little that can go wrong with this.

You may want to replace the internal button cell and do a reset of the Pro Trak. Not sure how to do this on your version but on the newer ones there is an option in the setup menu. This can be helpfulbut you will need to recalibrate.

It's been a very long time since I used the old graph software and I was never too happpy with it. The new windows software by kimihiko is much better and more robust, it also allows you to get the data into excel and you can really dig into it when you do that.

The values in the calibration menu should be the same ones that is referred to on your little datasheet. However as the charger is slightly older the calibration may be a little off due to deterioration in the wires over the years. It's always useful to do a recalibration every 6 months or so to get your best accuracy. With the newer software it is very easy to do this with a voltmeter. You may want to call Phil and talk things over with him a little.

Chris
Old 09-15-2005, 05:16 AM   #382
Tech Rookie

Default Monitor Software

Apologise - Newbie to the forum & the Pro-Trak

I have just got hold of a Pro-Trak charger (20A) with V10.79 firmware I am trying to get hold of the monitor software but my japanese isn't very good so I haven't been able to post a message on the web page asking to be allowed to download a copy.

Can anybody help?

Got 5 new sets of Reedy Realtimes waiting to be charged and would like to be able to monitor them from their 1st charge.

thanks,

Peter Smith a.k.a Psycho Billy.
Psycho Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:54 AM   #383
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks Phil..

Phil (Pro-Trak) Just e-mailed me the latest Software,

Thanks,

Peter
Old 09-17-2005, 05:17 AM   #384
Tech Adept

I consulted with phil so that a program could be distributed more freely. My program can be freely downloaded from Pro-Trak in a few days
Old 09-17-2005, 08:32 AM   #385
Tech Fanatic

Kiyano,

Thats great news thank you.

Chris
Old 09-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #386
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Yes that's great news Kiyano... thank you

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #387
Tech Rookie

Default Great news...

Thanks as previously stated that will be great news.

I am sometimes getting "clipboard errors" with the monitor software but on the whole it works fine.

All I need to do know is undestand how to act on the recommendations that it produces.

It's amazing how "popular" you become when people know you have got a pro-trak and the monitor software - checked out loads os sets of cells already......

Have ordered the ICS and motor run in modules from Phil.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #388
Tech Fanatic

psycho,

turn off your screen saver, this should stop the clipboard error.

Chris
Old 09-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #389
Tech Regular

Default Mpcm

Got an Idea of how mpcm works I am wondering if it will allow me to charge the battery at 7 amp for a short period to get the punch needed for 27 turn stock. I currently just charge t 6 amp with gp 3300. I am wodering if the I set it up at start 4 amps mid 7amps end 4.50/5amps
any advice given would be helpful.
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #390
Tech Fanatic

Smoking,

I run 5/7/5 with a hard pulse center phase of 30% which give the cells a 9.1A kick for 17 miliseconds every second. According to my tests it make a difference to the voltage and run time. (see my web site for details) However, punch seems to be most affected by the temperature of the cells when you put them in your car. Charge rate alone does not seem to affect it too much. Try temperature charging to 115F, don't repeak and try and time the finish of charge to be 3 minutes before the start of the race. Too much of the really high temperatures (over 140F) will shorten the life of the cells.

Chris