Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pro Trak

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

rough,

I'd go as far as to say maybe the Kimihiko's monitor program will work, not sure though but send me an e-mail, I think I have a copy of the terminal prog somewhere I'll try and dig it out.

Big G

Have a scoop for me too. Been a while hope you are still doing good.

Chris Rhodes.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi i need to ask may i know can i upgrade the rom to a lastest 1 and how do i do it and also pay for it. My Protrak is ver 10.25
Old 07-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Kuan,

You can contact Phil Haines at Pro Trak his e-mail is

[email protected]

Or you could try Kimihiko Yano, his web site is-

http://www.kimihiko-yano.net

One of them should be able to help you out.

Chris
Old 08-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

protrak newbie here

1. what is the difference between a slow ramp up and fast ramp up of the charge rate? is there an effect on the batteries as they charge?

2. what is the turbo mode for? do i use it on new or old batteries?

3. do i need to use the 5-wire harness during charging? or for discharging only?

4. what is the step charge function for and how do i set it? i know that i have to press "6" as i connect it to the power supply to enter the step charge mode. how do i set the charge rate and specific steps during the charge process?

my apologies if these questions were asked before, but right now, im having a difficult time in understanding the protrak manual when using the charger, i just use peak charge, linear charge, 6 amps, .02 cutoff, no repeak on my week old IB3600 6cell packs. so far, they read as follows:

approx 9.2v peak, 4100+ mah, 40+ min charge time, 50 deg C (using a temp gauge - no budget for the temp tray yet )

i want to explore the other features such as turbo mode, discharging, step charge, etc. but i dont know where to start on the settings.

thank you in advance for any info
Old 08-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Marvi,

Firstly, let me know what version the unit is, it sounds like a slightly older 20A version, look at the number when it turns on, I'd guess 10.4 ish.

The manual is not the best, we are working on something much better which will be available on mine and Phil's website hope fully in the next few weeks, it will be for the most current version though. Ok, to your questions.

1. As I recall, slow ramp takes about 30 seconds to run up to full current and fast ramp takes about 10 seconds, I have always used fast ramp. It's a relative thing, fast isn't really that fast. As for benefits to that batteries, I think slow ramp was introduced for the fragile panadonic cells, maybe even before that, these days I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2. Turbo mode was for Nicads really, as your cells hit thier peak voltage, it slowly increased current at the end of charge, people felt that it gave them more punch. I would not do it these days as the peak detection for NiMh cells is very sensitive.

3. You do not need to use the individual cell monitoring harness unless you want to get individual cell data, when you are charging at the track it's not really necesary, sometimees I do it because it looks cool as I send cell data to my laptop, but then I'm geeky like that.

4. Step Charging (Multi Phasic Charge Mode, MPCM) On your version yes I think you need to hold down key six but I'm not too familiar with how it worked on those versions. However, I use 5/7/5 amps for the phases and I use hard pulse in the center phase set to 30%. It seems to give a little more run time. Once you get the MPCM set go to the set up menu and scroll through the options to set your changeover points. To set the currents, try hitting key 5 from the main charge/Discharge menu. This should work, if not I'll talk to Phil.

You may want to increase your cut off depending on your ambient temp. if it's hot then .02 may be ok. But if it is less that 85F go for .03 or even .04. just beware that I do not run IB cells so talk to a local pro.

Step charge is good, you should try that, don't worry about turbo at the moment.

Chris
Old 08-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Crimson Eagle,

Does Kimihiko-San carry the upgrade ROMs? I ask because I'm also from Asia and ordering it from Japan might be cheaper than getting it from Phil (UK) ?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

rough 512,

I believe he does yes.

Chris
Old 08-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

crimson eagle: thanks for the info its version 10.47, i got it used but in great condition.

a couple more questions:

1. the default discharge rate is 20 amps, but it goes all the way to 40 when i press #. the front panel indicates "20 amp discharge." can it discharge at more than 20 amps?

2. how do i remove the internal battery? since i got mine used, i think its time to replace it as i always get a "memory cleared..." message during startup. i just set my charge and cutoff rates everytime i unplug the power supply.

thanks again in advance
Old 08-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Marvi

The charger simulates the discharge rate you set. I think the actual charge rate is fixed at 20A; you can neither decrease or increase it. All discharge readings at rates other than 20A are simulated.

You also have to reset the "base" parameters of the unit. Find that little piece of paper inside the charger bag and reset the charger using that info.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Marvi,

rough has it right, the discharge rate is fixed at 20A. the adjustment is a calculation.

The internal cell is located on the main board insside the charger, it's not too difficult to replace. Obviously have the charger disconnected while you do it.

Chris.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

crimson eagle: thanks again for the info

rough512: im gonna need your expert assistance in changing the internal battery im not very comfortable tinkering with electronics worth more than 2 months of my pay ill bug you in your pit table when we meet at the track chowking meal on me, of course (snack only, not the lauriat )
Old 08-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

this is embarrasing

i was trying to locate the battery and no wonder i was having a difficult time removing it - it was not the "battery" it was a round white plastic thing that i managed to pop the top off. inside was a round metal thing - i think it was the buzzer

anyway, i found and replaced the real battery (CR1220 - thanks to mr. rough512 ) the charger now retains the settings every time i power up.

another question (please bear with me )
- do i need to recalibrate the charger? since i got mine used, it may have been a while since the battery power was gone. now that it has a new battery, do i need to do reset the unit or do something? ive been told that the charger comes with both a manual and a separate sheet with parameters. i have the manual but i dont have the other sheet.

again, thanks in advance for any info
Old 08-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Marvi,

With it being an older model you should probably try and recalibrate it yourself it will be more accurate that way too. The method for doing it is in the manual or on the main Pro Trak web site.

Chris
Old 08-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

thanks again for the info
Old 08-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

new user pics page added to Pro-Trak site.

If you have a Pro-Trak with your own custom front panel please feel free to send us the pictures and we will post it here

Last edited by radio_car_racer; 08-14-2005 at 04:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.