R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #241
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

Hi Mr4,

I've never actually tried that.

The reason is that for me the longest it's ever taken to get to .1 is about 90 minutes, and it gets a lot quicker the second time, about 30 minutes.

I do not want to cycle that fast, it's way too hard on the cells, the only reason I do it at 11 hours is that I usually do 8 cycle runs and if I did it at 23 hours it would take more than a week and I usually race every week so I don't have that much time.

So saying I set my cycle time at 11 hours between each cycle.

Chris.
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:52 PM   #242
Tech Adept

Hi crimson,

I always doubt that my ICS has problem (may be too old). It takes long time to bring all the cells to below 0.1V. However would you pls help clarify that for me? I Just would like to know whether unit will wait for the ICS beringing all cells to 0.1V before start another charge/discharge cycle or we have to do adjust it by our experience??

Thanks!
mr4-tc sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:07 AM   #243
Tech Fanatic

Hi Mr4,

10 hrs is very long, too long is this from a full charge? I could believe that. I don't know if the Pro Trak will wait until it gets down to 0.1, if I was to guess, I'd say probably, I'll talk to Phill about it.

Chris.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:48 AM   #244
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by mr4-tc sp
Hi crimson,

I always doubt that my ICS has problem (may be too old). It takes long time to bring all the cells to below 0.1V. However would you pls help clarify that for me? I Just would like to know whether unit will wait for the ICS beringing all cells to 0.1V before start another charge/discharge cycle or we have to do adjust it by our experience??

Thanks!
Hello Mr4 and Thank you for your support chris!

CDAT and SAL can use ICS.
It discharges until voltage falls to less than 0.1V in the first cycle so that you may say.
However, before performing the 2nd cycle, it is dependent on "cycle time" whether it discharges to 0.1V.
In my experience, unless it prepares cycle time of at least 1.5 hours, discharge is not performed to 0.1V.

For example, if cycle time is set to 1 hour, discharge by ICS will finish on the way, and a cycle will start. Supposing it carries out cycle time set to 0 hour, discharge by ICS will not be performed.

It is unusual to require for your ICS discharging to 0.1V as long as 10 hours.
If pack which discharged by 20A is connected to ICS, you should amount to 0.1V in 120 minutes from 90 minutes.

I created the figure having shown connection of ICS. Please make it reference !

Old 02-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #245
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post Alright guys...

in a 'very' short time a charger purchase is gonna be made and I'm having a very,very hard time choosing between the Protrak30 and the Futaba cdr-5000. My heart is torn between the two.
A couple questions-
1. Why is there so many different software versions available and if I get the ProTrak, which version will I get, and how will I keep up with newer versions?
2. The different charge modes, what makes anything other than a linear charge mode usable for nimh batts?
And the quantifyer....
3. Do you feel the ProTrak is the best charger out on the market right now... why? I need very specific reasons(not opinions thanks) because this is my most important 'hobby' purchase thus far.
Thanks guys

- JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:26 PM   #246
Tech Fanatic

Hi Jaybee,

I am obviously biased here so please take my comments as such however, I'd say I'm in the top 5 five of people who know how this thing works.

1. The software is being constantly updated and tweaked to keep up with technology and theory of battery technology and will remain on the cutting edge because of this.

2. If you read my web site (the CDAT one below) you will see that there is a few different charge methods that work very well including MPCM (which as I understand the CDR does not include) also there is some good info on Hard pulse charging. Using CDAT and mpcm you can work out which charge mode works best for you.

3. Well of course I am going to say yes here that's goes without saying. I will tell you why I think Pro Trak is the best though.

Pro Trak connects to a pc (see website) and you can work out anything you like with the data from this point.

I'm not going to explain CDAT here it would take too long, please read my web site.

Three of the 12th mod A finalists in the Japanese National were running Pro Trak. Pro Trak does not sponsor drivers, these units were paid for in full.

Lastly, check out the pic, what else can do this? (Kimihiko Yano is author of the software for this)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mon progb.jpg (175.4 KB, 162 views)
Old 02-07-2005, 09:08 AM   #247
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007

Hi Jaybee,

I am another user of the pro trak and feel like I know it well. Like Crimson Eagle posted, the pro trak is a great charger. The software we get from Kiyano has for the Pro Trak is always being updated so we can use our chargers to it's fullest.

If you get the Pro Trak, you will get the latest software version. Crimson Eagle can explain that to you.

I'll give you one reason why I like my pro trak....the temp tray that is optional, has 4 sensors versus 1 sensor that the futaba has....

There are so many things on this charger that you will be impressed with......

Look at the picture crimson eagle posted.....this is impressive enough for me.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #248
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Jay-Bee,
As you know i own a Futaba but you will probably get better support with the ProTrak. CrimsonEagle is the US rep and is always trolling this thread. Picco007 has a Protrak and it is a great charger. My choices came down to the GFX, ProTrak, and Futaba. I ended up with the CDR-5000 just to be different and support my local hobby shop. I took a gamble on the Futaba but personally I would prefer the support from CrimsonEagle.
Good luck choosing,
P2
P2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #249
Tech Adept

Default New feature?

Hi there Eagle,

I am expecting my new eeprom from Phil and he told me that there is a new feature incorporated "cell warming".

Do you have any info on that?

I would ask Phil, but I know he is a busy guy and also in this forum, other people could benefit too.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Antonis
Old 02-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #250
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

I really want to take this opportunity to say, THANX GUYS FOR ALL THE INPUT... this is really a heart-wrenchin' decision for me to make. I've been a fan of the ProTrak ever since I first saw one
Maybe I'm making this harder than it needs to be; I just want to be SURE

- JB

Old 02-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #251
Tech Adept

Default Re: New feature?

Quote:
Originally posted by aantonis
Hi there Eagle,

I am expecting my new eeprom from Phil and he told me that there is a new feature incorporated "cell warming".

Do you have any info on that?

I would ask Phil, but I know he is a busy guy and also in this forum, other people could benefit too.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Antonis
I have the page which introduces cell warming and heater which I made. This is a link to the translated page.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...rak-heater.htm

I made the heat source personally. however
You can use tyre warmer(It operates by 12v) for a heat source.
Please see attached pic for more detail.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:01 PM   #252
Tech Adept

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cw.jpg (22.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 02-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #253
Tech Adept

Default WOW!!!

Is there anyone out there (still) that thinks there is a better and more customizable charger than the pro trak or has a dilemma as to what to choose?

Great work kiyano!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #254
Tech Adept

Default Translation

Beacuse the link doesnt work for me, I assume that it wont work for others too.
So here is the translation of the page (I copy pasted the individual text blocks to babel fish)
By the way professional track/truck is....(drum roll) Pro-Trak (duh!!!)

Title:
Connection of original battery heater and professional track/truck Warming the battery before the charging, in order to research the charge method, of obtaining high discharge quality, the original work it tried doing the battery heater. This time Cell Warming function of introduction and the professional track/truck of that heater is reported.

Pic1:
This the original work the battery heater which is done. The simple constitution which arranges the resistance of 3W. Part generation approximately 1000 Yen. To tell the truth before arriving to this shape, those which used the film heater were made on an experimental basis. But the consequence where the touch area of the battery is small time was required for being warmed and gave up. If there is a room in fund, it is good making use of "the charge stand" of Riemon Speed Works make, perhaps.

Pic2:
Resistance is connected as in the figure in series. It becomes feverish with the feeling altogether it should have made 20 ohmic rank.

Pic3:
It is very simple structure. Preventing short circuit to two classes. Rather than making the basis stick, floating a little, you installed resistance.

Pic4:
When 6 cell batteries are put in place. The ^^ which falls ill this fitting impression and becomes being attached If resistance is installed with some amount to spare, being to be possible, to shift on left and right, even in the filter rank big cell which it does all right. You could install GP3300/SANYO3600 without problem completely

Pic5:
Equipping the European connector in order to connect with the professional track/truck

Pic 6:
Of course, 12V power source connecting directly, you can use.

Pic 7:
Comparison with the professional track/truck genuine temperature detection module. With up-to-date software Ver10.77 using this module, you can use the function, Cell Warming. Cell Warming is the function which the battery warms to set temperature. Especially, the treasure it may do in temperature management of winter season, is.

Pic 8:
Then it prepares Cell Warming in front of. First the battery is put on the heater, furthermore temperature detection module is made on that.

Pic 9:
Temperature detection module is connected to the DIN connector of the professional track/truck itself right side. The charge cable is connected to the heater next. It can also use the tire warmer of marketing in place of the heater. Temperature detection module becoming feverish, the stripe uninformed it meaning that it becomes impossible, just to measure the temperature of the battery, when using the tire warmer, that it does not wind in temperature detection module, you will note.

Pic 10:
And Cell Warming function of the professional track/truck is made to start. The photograph when warming the battery, is picture indication. As for indication from with respect to the left Electric current set temperature to the total time heater which turns on electricity to the supply voltage present temperature heater to the power supply voltage heater With it has become. With this example it meaning that set temperature is 25 degrees, when the battery exceeds 26 degrees, electrification to the heater stops. When and it goes down to 25 degrees, again it turns on electricity to the heater.

Pic11:
Whether how it can warm the battery lastly at the original heater it tried taking record. 20? To 25 degrees if it may be able to prepare in 10 minutes, is.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:25 AM   #255
Tech Champion

I think I've made up my mind

- JB