R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #376
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Here I solved all your problems:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...754&p_catid=16

List $2.06

This is supposed to be the same as the spec tire from the 1998 IWTC (1st sedan world champs). Should be a 26mm rim.

Photo of tire on car at 1998 race:

We used to buy these tires with a little different tread from Parma for $9 with rims(!)

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #377
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
any of them are better and faster than the X-pattern. just pick the best one for your area (temp)
Exactly....you can choose what you want to use at your track. I think Sweep even sells tires on their own as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Nobody ever said it would be cheaper per set -- just that they'll last 4x as long.
Bingo...the life span is what Im interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregger View Post
I really believe that deviating from the x-patterns for open tire is opening a can of worms and people quite possibly will have to start buying one run tires to accomodate the track. That or people will start buying the tire of the week.
Also I don't see where this excessive wear is coming from, the only time I've seen a pair get mauled is from using turbo and boost. By me the rules as they stand seem to work fine. Also a few pages back there was a set of 26mm tamiya tires that weren't any cheaper than the x-patterns.
The problem is that not all tracks are equal. I have raced my RCGT car on a track that eats tires for lunch then on to another track with very little wear. This is with turbo and no turbo. Just because you are noticing no wear issues at your local track doesnt mean there isnt an issue. I dont think anyone is looking for an open tire rule more so then some guidline of what tires are "Legal" under the RCGT name. If the rule can be written that its up to the host track then cool but the problem becomes if you go to another track you might not know what the tire is legal there. Thats why people are looking for a way to help change the situation and make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Yeah but TA-05 is tuned for the HPI X-patterns. I want to make sure that if I am changing tires.
I have a TA05....its even better once I get off X-patterns. So if your car is setup now with x's it will be good on just about anything else.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #378
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What about these?:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...2504&p_catid=4

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #379
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm just curious, How many people have tried the HPI slicks, both 26mm and 24mm ?? Any particular problems ??
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #380
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default well

I used to run HPI 24mm slicks on my nitro rs4 when they had parking lot races down at the the hobbytown in San Marcos. They had excellent grip on dirty bumpy parking lot surfaces and wear was always minimal (mostly I think due to dirty low traction). I've never run them on an electric just because of price and availability issues.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #381
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by svines1972 View Post
I agree with Kregger, seems that the ESC wars have spilled over into other catagories. I like the original rules. Just need to get control on the ESC. Maybe a spec class with the Cirtix/17.5 and/or no Turbo/Boost ESC.
The beauty of the SP Citrix 17.5/21.5 combo is that you get ESC AND Motor for only $80. It can easily be spec'ed since it is very affordable. As far as using other ESC and Motors with adjustable timing, you better hope you have a good tech to keep people honest.

It is better to play it safe and use a very beginner friendly ESC so that everyone is equal across the board. The SP Citrix Combo is currently the choice for everyone in this thread on using. It is also something that will appeal to beginners very well, when they start off with their first car as they work towards the ultimate goal of going into TC.

I hope HPI will catch on and use the SP Citrix Combo as the Spec ESC for RCGT, until other companies come out with a similar product. And HPI can simply say, "Any ESC that does not have Timing, Turbo, Boost adjustments, and Motors with fixed timing." That way if Tekin or other companies come out with similar combos, they will be more than welcome.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #382
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Oh SNAP!!! We got another contender to the Blast Off tires!! I just hope the quality of the rubber on these wheels is decent enough for more than one race weekend.

As far as track surface temperature, I'd need at maximum 32R. The temperature of the surface is not consistent since the owner likes to turn on and turn off the A/C.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #383
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdapart View Post
I used to run HPI 24mm slicks on my nitro rs4 when they had parking lot races down at the the hobbytown in San Marcos. They had excellent grip on dirty bumpy parking lot surfaces and wear was always minimal (mostly I think due to dirty low traction). I've never run them on an electric just because of price and availability issues.
Thanks.
Could I get a "show of hands" of those who would just like to keep the x-patterns as the standard ?? Thanks
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #384
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
The SP Citrix Combo is currently the choice for everyone in this thread on using.
Not true. I have never been, nor will I ever be, in favor of specifying a single manufacturer's product.

It can be on the "legal" list if it's proven to have no canned timing advance, but the only choice? No way.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #385
Tech Elite

Quote:
Not true. I have never been, nor will I ever be, in favor of specifying a single manufacturer's product.

It can be on the "legal" list if it's proven to have no canned timing advance, but the only choice? No way.
Reading further on in my post...

"And HPI can simply say, "Any ESC that does not have Timing, Turbo, Boost adjustments, and Motors with fixed timing." That way if Tekin or other companies come out with similar combos, they will be more than welcome."
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #386
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Looks like a direct copy of the X-Pattern. The price sure is great...sure is easy to be cheap when you don't have to pay your own R&D costs!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #387
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dang Pete, you havin' a bad day at work or what?

I think Harry has a good point with the Cirtrix and any other manufacturer that can come out with stock spec non-adjustable esc/motor combos. Definitely looks to me like a manufacturer stepping up to the plate and leading the way, and hopefully others will follow suit.

That integy tire sure is just a straight up copy of the x-pattern as far as the tread pattern goes, I wonder though what kind of rubber or manufacturing differences they could have to keep the end price so low!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #388
Tech Elite

Quote:
Reading further on in my post...

"And HPI can simply say, "Any ESC that does not have Timing, Turbo, Boost adjustments, and Motors with fixed timing." That way if Tekin or other companies come out with similar combos, they will be more than welcome."
Yes, I read it. Timing, turbo, and boost are all the same thing, so need for redundant wording. Also, I don't see the need to limit it to fixed-timing motors. The effect of motor timing is minimal compared to what's being done in the ESC, and everyone has it. There's only one truly fixed-timing motor out there that I know of and it's the Cirtix.

ROAR already went through all this (and quite well) with their Sportsman ESC list. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #389
Tech Elite

Quote:
Looks like a direct copy of the X-Pattern. The price sure is great...sure is easy to be cheap when you don't have to pay your own R&D costs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdapart View Post
Dang Pete, you havin' a bad day at work or what?
No, I work in Engineering R&D so that kind of thing always chaps my ass. Don't even get me started on the Chinese clone chassis debates!

Signing off for a while....have to go to a dentist appointment to get in a better mood!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #390
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
..... Also, I don't see the need to limit it to fixed-timing motors. The effect of motor timing is minimal compared to what's being done in the ESC, and everyone has it. ....

ROAR already went through all this (and quite well) with their Sportsman ESC list. No need to reinvent the wheel.
100% agree..