R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #271
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The bottom line is that nobody knows how the Blast offs will be marketed nor do we know the performance. Wait and see is all we can do.
The second and most important thing is whether the relationship with HPI...and thus RCGT....is part of the focus. Many have said yes so right know thats the push. Ultimately it'll still be up to us and we can make that decision then. The basic rule package as discussed will still work. If tire choice causes us to change from the HPI affiliated program.....so be it. But right now we have no reason to do that.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #272
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
But right now we have no reason to do that.

I say we have $50 reasons a set ......
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #273
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
I say we have $50 reasons a set ......
And your basing that on a set of tires that's not available, untested , and at this point doesn't appear to fit with what most drivers in RCGT want ??
Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #274
Tech Champion

Not at all Dino... I am basing it on the fact that 50 bucks a set for tires is way too effin much... for ANY electric on road class to be successful nowadays tires need to be relatively inexpensive. These are not.. PERIOD.

They are SIGNIFICANTLY more then most other options... They are 10-20% more then what is considered the most expensive race tire on the market. ( Sorex ).

I don't care what tire-tire rule.. just ask long as it's price /performance /availability make sense.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not against HPI, I am FOR the racer....

Quote:
And your basing that on a set of tires that's not available, untested , and at this point doesn't appear to fit with what most drivers in RCGT want ??
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
Old 06-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #275
Tech Elite

So what low cost option tire exists that'll satisfy the wants of most people interested in RCGT ??
Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #276
Tech Champion

That is what we are trying figure out....

This is really frustrating.. I am just going to go bang my head against the wall so I can feel like I am doing something productive.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #277
Tech Elite

lt shouldn't be to hard.....if one really exists. But bringing the Blast Off into the equation as a viable option without knowing anything about it is just causing alot of confusion. Personally, I don't think one exists and I don't think it's worth halting progress on something that doesn't exist.
What we know RIGHT NOW is that aside from cost , it's not really sounding all that great.
1. We know its a treaded tire. Not necessarily what most people want at this point.
1. we don't know if this treaded tire will wear any better than a x-pattern
2. With only 1 unknown compound, we don't know how it'll perform under various conditions.
3. We don't know if this will only be available as a premount...and if so..will a wide variety of wheels be available....and when.
3. What we do know is that wheel choices will most likely be severely limited due to the 24mm size. And thats assuming the tire will be available by itself at all.
4. And we also don't know if various offsets will be offered.

But, they are $15.00 bucks.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #278
Tech Elite

Anybody out there use any of these ?? Haven't ordered from them before but some of these are very cool !!

http://www.genkidoridori.com/index.p...7ac27d32534393
Old 06-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #279
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default HPI tires

I've used the x-patterns and they were better than I expected. As for cost, $50 a set seems expensive to me. But the local stores that I shop at have the D compounds for $11 everyday and sometimes the pro-belted for $10 on sale. HPI rims start at $6 a pair. So realistically it's only about $34 a set or less when they go on sale. I'd be fine with just running HPI tires as the cost is comparable to TC tires and HPI will likely give more support for the class.

Last edited by esymr2; 06-18-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: spelling
esymr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #280
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by esymr2 View Post
I've used the x-patterns and they were better than I expected. As for cost, $50 a set seems expensive to me. But the local stores that I shop at have the D compounds for $11 everyday and sometimes the pro-belted for $10 on sale. HPI rims start at $6 a pair. So realistically it's only about $34 a set or less when they go on sale. I'd be fine with just running HPI tires as the cost is comparable to TC tires and HPI will likely give more support for the class.
I'd like to know about these local stores you shop at. Because I get severely butt-hurt from buying a couple sets of tires and rims from my LHS and a lot of online venues. And from what I am reading on this thread, so are others.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #281
Tech Elite

esymr2, Thanks for trying. Like you, I have rarely seen x-patterns sell for the MSRP. I went to ebay and the most expensive I found was about $12.50 a pair. With wheels that works out to around 45 bucks. So yes, I'll bet some people are paying damned near full MSRP.

The question is still out there folks. If you know of an answer, yell it out.

So what low cost option tire exists that'll satisfy the wants of most RCGT drivers??
Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #282
Tech Champion

Generally speaking, yes can find them for less then say 50 bucks. Most local shops try to match Tower's pricing... as a guideline... So using Tower as a guideline...

2 X 14.49 for Pro Compound
2 X 11.19 For some nice wheels from HPI < cut about 10 bucks total for standard hoops..
1 X 4 for Tire Glue

with an average of 6% tax, your looking at $58.68

Also to note, you CAN get X patterns premounted on D compound, for about 35 bucks, but IMHO, the pro's are the way to go..

I am just trying to point out that we can find a better solution. I don't care what it is... Look at it this way... Do you think TC racing would still be alive at $ 40-$55 sets of race tires that at some tracks only last few runs ? Keep in mind, I really like the way the HPI tires work, and ALL tires last forever at our track....

Quote:
Originally Posted by esymr2 View Post
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #283
Tech Elite

Tim, I don't think anybody's arguing that the prices can be tough. There are deals out there as I mentioned BUT...I still have yet to hear of 1 alternative that meets the criteria I mentioned earlier. This isn't a small issue. Irregardless of any effort to stay with an HPI supported program, tires and wheels are an absolute necessity and the choice has to satisfy the needs of the greater user base.
Are we actually saying that there isn't another option out there that meets the criteria??? If so, then the choice is simple.....dissolve the program or make due with what truly exists and already meets the standards. Right now thats the x-patterns and the slicks. More importantly, although a few voices are speaking up against the prices, and they should, it's still the minority who speak the loudest. Until another option exists......It's what we have and for now ....until the option exists....we'll have to make the best of it. Lets hope a better option becomes available but lets not halt progress.
The rules package goes to HPI today and I hope to have HPI's approval shortly.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #284
Tech Champion

Dino,

Please do not take this as dissepect, but who gives a crap what HPI thinks... They do thier own rules for the Challenge Series, and that is a great series... How does what HPI thinks impact what WE do ?

Quote:
Tim, I don't think anybody's arguing that the prices can be tough. There are deals out there as I mentioned BUT...I still have yet to hear of 1 alternative that meets the criteria I mentioned earlier. This isn't a small issue. Irregardless of any effort to stay with an HPI supported program, tires and wheels are an absolute necessity and the choice has to satisfy the needs of the greater user base.
Are we actually saying that there isn't another option out there that meets the criteria??? If so, then the choice is simple.....dissolve the program or make due with what truly exists and already meets the standards. Right now thats the x-patterns and the slicks. More importantly, although a few voices are speaking up against the prices, and they should, it's still the minority who speak the loudest. Until another option exists......It's what we have and for now ....until the option exists....we'll have to make the best of it. Lets hope a better option becomes available but lets not halt progress.
The rules package goes to HPI today and I hope to have HPI's approval shortly.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #285
Tech Elite

What each racer or club or event organizer DOES is up to them. Lets keep things in context. This discussion began with a question as to the current state of "RCGT". That is an HPI developed program. On the business side, HPI produces the bodies,wheels and tires that we all have used to offer a RCGT program.
Ultimately, the racers have the final say and I'm all for that. Not many here would maintain any loyalty to HPI if other manufacturers could offer better,cheaper products we need to run a GT program. It's that simple.
I'm still waiting for an answer to the question though....show me another, better option to this tire problem. I'm sure quite a few people are waiting. But if you decide to go a different way the choice is yours.