R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Setup setup setup.... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/406036-setup-setup-setup.html)

R40Victim 06-07-2010 09:11 AM

Setup setup setup....

So I recently got a T2R Pro(had no idea the T3R was coming out, oh well) I've never had a touring car with a spool before. I used to have an 8th scale on road car, but that spool was in the rear. I read the Xray setup book to death, trying to find a way to get this thing to turn in more like a one way diff. I know it'll never be quite the same, but I'd like to try. The car is loose on power. It pushes like a dump truck entering corners.

Is there some nifty technique that isn't in teh setup book, on how to make the thing turn in more aggressively? When I run my Pro 4, it does exactly what I want it to. The T2R feels like a Walmart special... I'm waiting FOREVER for it to turn in. I toed out the front wheels, and increased the Ackerman. I'd like more turn in, but I don't want to lose any mid corner steering. Is there a setup that does both, or am I basically just stuck and need to get a one way?

I got a few responses in the T2R thread, but would like more suggestions. Any "Spool Masters" that have some info, suggestions?

Skiddins 06-07-2010 01:45 PM

What surface, what class, what tyres?

MikeXray 06-07-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by R40Victim (Post 7509544)
So I recently got a T2R Pro(had no idea the T3R was coming out, oh well) I've never had a touring car with a spool before. I used to have an 8th scale on road car, but that spool was in the rear. I read the Xray setup book to death, trying to find a way to get this thing to turn in more like a one way diff. I know it'll never be quite the same, but I'd like to try. The car is loose on power. It pushes like a dump truck entering corners.

Is there some nifty technique that isn't in teh setup book, on how to make the thing turn in more aggressively? When I run my Pro 4, it does exactly what I want it to. The T2R feels like a Walmart special... I'm waiting FOREVER for it to turn in. I toed out the front wheels, and increased the Ackerman. I'd like more turn in, but I don't want to lose any mid corner steering. Is there a setup that does both, or am I basically just stuck and need to get a one way?

I got a few responses in the T2R thread, but would like more suggestions. Any "Spool Masters" that have some info, suggestions?

I would start with a setup for a t2 or t2 007 of someone whos running at your track and has a decent handling car. In theory the more flexy chassis should provide more grip, but that's not always good, there could be too much rear grip making throw the car around. The car sounds pretty bad so I wouldn't be afraid of trying complete changes until it's at least close. Standing up the rear shocks and a little less rear toe are good starting points. Some cars also work better if you can tap the brake before entering the turn, if this is the case you may want to soften the front so the weight can transfer over the front wheels without the use of the brakes.

Dane 06-07-2010 05:52 PM

Post your setup R40!

R40Victim 06-07-2010 08:56 PM

Sorry I didn't have all the relevant info! :sweat:

Semi smooth asphalt, can get pretty hot. 13.5 Touring class, unlimited tires at the moment. I'm running rubber tires, Take Off RP40s. The body on it now is an old Stratus body I had laying around(it will suffice until my Protoform LTC-R gets back from the paint booth)

Here are some vids of the track, I don't yet have any of the T2R in action. Our first real race got rained out, so we'll have another in two weeks. I'll get some good vids to post, but for now, this is the track: (that silver car is my old Pro 4, the car from my avatar)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

R40Victim 06-07-2010 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dane (Post 7511489)
Post your setup R40!

My setup is pretty much the rubber setup from the T2R Pro build. I followed the manual's suggestions for rubber racing, medium traction. I did toe it out up front a bit more, and I do have the ride height pretty high. I thought about lowering it, but didn't want to tear up the chassis or lob it into the air. We blow the track off, but inevitably some little pebble gets out there and boom, a car goes flying. :cry:

I was thinking about kick up and dive. I've been reading the setup guide, and it seems all I can do is sacrifice some mid corner and corner exit for turn in. I fear my best option really is a one way. Have any of you found a happy medium with the spool? I do like the high speed on power steering. It allows me to get under my competition. I also like the brakes, it allows me to follow closer with more confidence.

As you can see, I'm trying to figure out which option will best suit my style and this track. My VTA car(Pro 4 with one way front diff) turns in SO well, and I really like that. I can rush up to a corner; mid corner is very good, and decent on power steering to fly out of it. I just don't have those killer brakes, and I have to setup for long on power sweepers completely different. meh! :lol:

Cpt.America 06-08-2010 09:02 AM

Without posting your exact setup, there just isn't enough information to help. I run a spool in my T2009, on a low-medium traction outdoor asphault track, and the car turns on a dime entering corners.

ASM 06-08-2010 02:02 PM

Try some anti-dive in the front ;)

Dane 06-08-2010 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 7514482)
Without posting your exact setup, there just isn't enough information to help. I run a spool in my T2009, on a low-medium traction outdoor asphault track, and the car turns on a dime entering corners.

Is it posted? I'd love to take a look at your setup Cpt. America.

R40, talk to the fast guys and see what they recommend. Since it's open tire, you need to be sure to have the proper tire. 40 shore might be a bit too hard. Unfortunately, open tire = tire war so make sure you're on the winning side.

One thing I can suggest is to run the Ackerman notch forward. I ran it backwards recently and it hurt turn-in a good bit.

R40Victim 06-08-2010 08:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. There are no fast guys at my track; we just started this race program. So we ARE the fast guys... :lol:

Like I said, my old Pro 4 is running circles around my brand new T2R. I feel like the spool is hindering the car. It pushes entering, and is so loose exiting, that I have to be very careful. I do like using it in the long on power sweeper, but feel like I have to "tip toe" around all the tight corners. The Pro 4 on the other hand, seems to take allot more driving to get around that on power sweeper, but turns in and handles all the other curves like it should... it CARVES through the infield.

I'm starting to think I may try a ball diff. It's way cheaper, and if it didn't work out, I would have a nice spare to throw in the car as needed(I don't like to build/rebuild them dang things!)

rockstar81 06-09-2010 05:09 AM

What is your droop and ride height set at?

R40Victim 06-09-2010 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar81 (Post 7518666)
What is your droop and ride height set at?

Ride height is around 7 mm. I suppose that makes the droop about the same number. I have it pretty high, so I clear most of the little things on the track.

Cpt.America 06-09-2010 08:21 AM

Sorry R40.. but we would of been able to help just as much had your original question been:

"hi.. my car drives funny, what can I do"?

We would need your exact setup... giving us estimates at ride height and droop, just wont get anybody anywhere... and going from a spool to a ball diff in the front, to try and correct a problem that is completely correctable with a proper setup, isn't the way to go... it will only be a bandaid. You still have a setup problem. There are a LOT of small changes that can dramatically help off-power turnin, allowing you to keep the onpower advantages of the spool.

Get your car onto a setup station, and write down all of the following EXACTLY: This is what we need:

Front:
tire
ride height
droop (if you don't know how to measure droop, ask)
spring
oil
shock piston
upper shock position
lower control arm roll center position
upper control arm roll center position inside
upper control arm roll center position outside
steering block ackerman position
servo saver ackerman position
camber
toe
caster
anti-sway bars
front wheelbase setting
front track setting

Rear:
tire
ride height
droop
spring
oil
shock piston
upper shock position
camber
toe
anti-sway bars
rear wheelbase setting
rear track setting
diff tightness

R40Victim 06-09-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 7519359)
Sorry R40.. but we would of been able to help just as much had your original question been:

"hi.. my car drives funny, what can I do"?

We would need your exact setup... giving us estimates at ride height and droop, just wont get anybody anywhere... and going from a spool to a ball diff in the front, to try and correct a problem that is completely correctable with a proper setup, isn't the way to go... it will only be a bandaid. You still have a setup problem. There are a LOT of small changes that can dramatically help off-power turnin, allowing you to keep the onpower advantages of the spool.

Get your car onto a setup station, and write down all of the following EXACTLY: This is what we need:

Front:
tire
ride height
droop (if you don't know how to measure droop, ask)
spring
oil
shock piston
upper shock position
steering block ackerman position
servo saver ackerman position
camber
toe
caster