Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TT01 upgrade, need help with gear choices. >

TT01 upgrade, need help with gear choices.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TT01 upgrade, need help with gear choices.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default TT01 upgrade, need help with gear choices.

Well I picked up a TT01 chassis and some parts for it (tires, ABC 300zx body with higher offset rims and tires to match, a 3800kv motor w/esc, a pair of 3300mah orion NiMH's) and I find it moves pretty well. I'd say just shy of 40mph at top speed, pretty quick but not ridiculously fast

I am considering the Novak 5.5T with an HV pro esc running on an 11 or 14v LiPo to get some serious speed out of it.

I guess my question is this: What gears and parts should I run in order to get good speed and reliability (aiming for 75+mph)? Even after about 4 batteries through the stock drivetrain with the upgraded motor I can hear and see the difference. Much looser drive-train and a bit noisier. I'm pretty sure about what is needed to upgrade the driveshaft and ball bearings, but I am not sure about the rest of the drivetrain parts. What else do you recommend in terms of parts (spur gears, pinion gear, differentials etc) in order to run this motor?

Thanks and great forum btw!

also, is it okay to charge the orion's at 2amps? Should be fine for a 3300mah NiMH right?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tgsz
Well I picked up a TT01 chassis and some parts for it (tires, ABC 300zx body with higher offset rims and tires to match, a 3800kv motor w/esc, a pair of 3300mah orion NiMH's) and I find it moves pretty well. I'd say just shy of 40mph at top speed, pretty quick but not ridiculously fast

I am considering the Novak 5.5T with an HV pro esc running on an 11 or 14v LiPo to get some serious speed out of it.

I guess my question is this: What gears and parts should I run in order to get good speed and reliability (aiming for 75+mph)? Even after about 4 batteries through the stock drivetrain with the upgraded motor I can hear and see the difference. Much looser drive-train and a bit noisier. I'm pretty sure about what is needed to upgrade the driveshaft and ball bearings, but I am not sure about the rest of the drivetrain parts. What else do you recommend in terms of parts (spur gears, pinion gear, differentials etc) in order to run this motor?

Thanks and great forum btw!

also, is it okay to charge the orion's at 2amps? Should be fine for a 3300mah NiMH right?
Hi,
The TT01 Chassis is not the best for speed.. I have also modded my tt01 with a 7.4v 2s Lipo with a 10.5t brushless motor and it fly's! But the transmition can barely handle it! It is very unstable at high speed even though i have completely modded it. Anyway necessary things are

Ball bearings,
Alloy drive shaft
and a good Lipo!

This is the thread for my tt01
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...01-pics-2.html
Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Can the gears be upgraded to metal ones so that they can handle the extra stress?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

Tamiya, Gpm and all the other hop up companies dont do metal spur gears because if you go over a bump and it moves, instead of a plastic spur gear shedding into peices a metal one could destroy the motor.
Only the belt driven cars have metal spur gears.
The case of speed is not if the spur gear can handle the stress, its the ratio of the pinion and spur gear. I think the best you can put is a 25/61
Old 06-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Ageofdeath10
Tamiya, Gpm and all the other hop up companies dont do metal spur gears because if you go over a bump and it moves, instead of a plastic spur gear shedding into peices a metal one could destroy the motor.
Only the belt driven cars have metal spur gears.
The case of speed is not if the spur gear can handle the stress, its the ratio of the pinion and spur gear. I think the best you can put is a 25/61
what kind of speed will that get with the aforementioned setup?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

You would get around 43mph with your usuall 3300 setup

with the 5.5t you would get around 80mph. I tried a gearing calculator and it said with a 14v Lipo it would do 263mph..... I think its wrong
Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

TT01 is & allways will be an entry level car.
Most upgrades are just 'lipstick on a pig' (or 'silk purse out of a sows ear')

Although the full carbon conversion looks really nice.

Save your money, most TT01 upgrades a waste of cash (seriously), except bearings & metal centreshaft.

Biggest problem will be the motor mount allowing only certain pinion sizes & even then you cant set the mesh gap correctly (its a entry level car remember)

Quote: What gears and parts should I run in order to get good speed and reliability (aiming for 75+mph)?
The part you need for that speed & reliablity is another car (seriously). Perhaps look at a RC drag chassis: much longer so should be more stable at high speed. Maybee belt drive for high speed runs ??