Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Novak's Best ESC? >

Novak's Best ESC?

Novak's Best ESC?

Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: user interfaces on ESCs

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I'm not saying the Cyclone/Atom + PitWizard combo could be better or anything, but check this; I believe you only have to read the manual once, and that's it.

Just want to ask how much is this?! how about the aftermarket service? What is the dimension of this ESC.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by A-Ko

They lost me when I fried 4 of them in one years time, one of which was my fault. Yes, I had everything correct according to instructions. Usually they would work for a while and then I would either get glitching, loss of power or have no brakes. They have a policy of sending you a reconditioned one, which makes me wonder what kind of condition it is in if it dies shortly after warranty. Sure their customer service is good because it is a way for them to take more of my money on repair.

I think my repair record is 5 or 6 cyclones.
Guess you got very unlucky or I have been very lucky with mine. I've had 8 or 9 Cyclones in my cars over the years. I am currently running some version of a cyclone in all my current cars. (6 cars)

I've never smoked one, or had a single bit of trouble with any of them. I actually just recently replaced the Quantum2 in my Pro 4 and went back to a Cyclone c2.

Anybody wanna' buy a Quantum2 with a broken case? lol
Old 05-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do yout hink a purple label would work well in a Tc3 and with a pretty unexperienced racer.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Suspended

Default Novak's Best

Originally posted by LancerEvoV
Do yout hink a purple label would work well in a Tc3 and with a pretty unexperienced racer.
It will work well in any situation. Be sure to wire it correctly and use the power capacitor and Schottky diode as recommended. Try to use factory recommended electronic items because the tech support told me that most of their returns were because of people trying to save money by using cheaper, less efficient items. With a Pit Wizard the Cyclone is awesome, but you still have 3 really good profiles built-in if you can't find or afford one.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

What exactly are the power capacitor and schottky diode. Did they come with a purple lable, or did you have to buy them.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:05 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: user interfaces on ESCs

Originally posted by Wency_TA03R-PRO
Just want to ask how much is this?! how about the aftermarket service? What is the dimension of this ESC.
This is a Robitronic Spirit ESC and I think itīs by far the easiest to programm. All you could programm can be seen in the LCD-Display. Itīs very small by 33 x 23 x 16 mm. I donīt know if there is a shop for it in the USA. But you could contact Robitronic at their website
http://www.robitronic.com/robitronic_e.htm
Old 05-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Default What Are They?

Originally posted by LancerEvoV
What exactly are the power capacitor and schottky diode. Did they come with a purple lable, or did you have to buy them.
The Cyclones have a very high speed switching rate that allows them to have increased acceleration, cooler operation, more radio range, etc. When an ESC has very high speed switching a power capacitor must be used to catch voltage ripples and smooth them out before they enter the ESC. It is a round unit (size varies with capacity) and has two leads (+ and -) that must be soldered to the ESC's terminals. The Cyclone 2 and TC2 has a harness that you plug the power capacitor into. The power capacitor is primarily used to prevent the ESC from being damaged, but has some side benefits as well (cooler operation, better mid-range throttle response and helps prevent glitching). A Schottky diode is a small unit that is polarized (+ and -) and is installed on the + and - terminals on the motor. Some of the Cyclones have an internal Schottky, but they still need one mounted on the motor. Some people put them on the ESC's terminals or on the wires going to the motor, but they are most effective on the motor. It is primarily used to prevent current created by the motor (when coasting or braking) from going back to the ESC, which will heat up the brake transistors and cause them to fade. It allows the current to be regenerated and fed back to the motor. All of the Cyclone series ESCs come with everything you need to run them properly. It is very important to use the power capacitor and Schottky diode to give the best performance, efficiency and long life. Sorry this reply is so long, but I like to explain something with as much detail as possible. Hope this helps!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation Re: Re: Re: Re: user interfaces on ESCs

Originally posted by V12
This is a Robitronic Spirit ESC and I think itīs by far the easiest to programm. All you could programm can be seen in the LCD-Display. Itīs very small by 33 x 23 x 16 mm. I donīt know if there is a shop for it in the USA. But you could contact Robitronic at their website
http://www.robitronic.com/robitronic_e.htm

Thanks for the link and reply bro!!!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: user interfaces on ESCs

Originally posted by Wency_TA03R-PRO
Thanks for the link and reply bro!!!
Wency,

Lose the bold letters bro. Its plain rude.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Ah ok. tnx..
Old 05-20-2004, 08:12 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by A-Ko
...They have a policy of sending you a reconditioned one, which makes me wonder what kind of condition it is in if it dies shortly after warranty. Sure their customer service is good because it is a way for them to take more of my money on repair.
Honestly... I think the swapover policy is fantastic. You send it in and they send you back one that's tested fully working, for a set price, what can be better than that?

Some other companies... you send in a fix job, they queue it for their technician. Takes them days/weeks/months to get back to you with what's wrong with it and then only quote you a price. Which, after labour+parts, it usually ain't cheap.

As for money-making... erm yes, its a business.

No one forces you to send them in... you may well have a local guy/shop who knows how to fix them. We do here too. But they usually isn't much cheaper even before postage. And sometimes they can't get the special parts, some parts are custom. But for simple things like rewiring etc... they can do it.

Or do it yourself, then when it all fails... send it in.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by cartmen34
Guess you got very unlucky or I have been very lucky with mine.
Yeah, I am trying to figure that out. I think when repairs go beyond the price of a new speedo, I need to go elsewhere.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by WC
Honestly... I think the swapover policy is fantastic. You send it in and they send you back one that's tested fully working, for a set price, what can be better than that?

Some other companies... you send in a fix job, they queue it for their technician. Takes them days/weeks/months to get back to you with what's wrong with it and then only quote you a price. Which, after labour+parts, it usually ain't cheap.

There are many companies that do a good repair service. Not that it is a habit with me but, old tech can and does eventually break down. Not just Speedos but chargers, recievers, radios, etc... I guess I am tired of getting my Novaks done to repair. Even when I would go easy on them, run a 5 min run, let cool down, before running another 5 min run. They still break down. I do have some friends that never have a problem with theirs. Maybe I run them too much? For me when it fails at a big race, more than once, they have lost my confidence.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

NOVAK I just sent back a NOVAK super rooster and an Atom that were many years old and they were repaired for $40.00 each. They came back as refurbished with 120 day warranty and look as new. . I don't know anyone else who has product support like that. Oh Yeh.......Both failures owner error......

PS....HARDDRIVEN RC.... Take a vallium !!!!!!

Last edited by THEBIGBULL; 05-21-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by THEBIGBULL
NOVAK [COLOR=red]
PS....HARDDRIVEN RC.... Take a vallium !!!!!!

WHY?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.