R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2004, 04:58 PM   #16
Suspended

Default Novak's Best ESC?

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Paperboy
I run a cylclone purple label in my T-Fource and I will put a Blue label in my new TC3. I love them.
What blue label will you be running?
tmeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:38 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Im not sure exactly what blue label it is. Its not a TC, and its not purple. The word "cyclone" is written in deep blue. Perhaps its from the second generation, after the purple label?
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

I love my TC2 ... wish I could buy a few more of em ... I had a GT7 but I think it was a first run unit cause it had bad glitching problems ... so I got rid of it ... now I am thinking I should have sent it in instead ... I have had a LRP QC in for repair now for over 6 months ... still no word as to when its comming back ... I love the small size .. but the repair turn around sucks ... so I may end up replacing it with a new GT7 if I dont get it back for the outdoor season ... I dont want to risk burning up this great TC2 ...

have fun racing
roddude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:51 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

GT7 is their top one now i believe
Old 05-17-2004, 05:34 AM   #20
Tech Master

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by R/C Anonymous
GT7 is their top one now i believe

yup! I still stay with my GT7 coz it doesn't give me any problems even on glitches. I used it on my FT TC3.. Runs great for almost 8 months now.
Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:16 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

I still use an original cyclone (blue/yellow label) in my F201.

I've also got a 3 purples in my XXX's and XXX-4, a green TC in my XXX-S G+, and a TC2 in my Pro 4

I've never even owned a GT7. I don't see the need to dump all my cyclones. They work just fine. Always run cool and I've never had one go pop.

Last edited by cartmen34; 05-17-2004 at 09:55 AM.
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:54 AM   #22
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Cyclone series goes like this...

#1 was blue "CYCLONE" word with yellow on the right. Old style NOVAK logo. Inside the circuitboards are green.

(the very very first models from 1996 had orange plastic around the solder posts, later they changed to grey)

First obvious change was "Cyclone-99" aka MkII. Green "CYCLONE" with purple edge, newer Novak logo.
Cyclone TC also appeared at this time. Red circuitboards.

Next big change was C2/TC2, big button on the top. Needs external Schottky. Pit Wizard plug has changed.

As for getting a Cyclone warm... the only time I did it using twin 11x3 motors in parallel. The single battery didn't have enough grunt so I put two packs in parallel too. FETs got warm but not too hot to touch.
www.MelbRC.org
----------------
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #23
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

the GT7 is the best by far

The ONE that DIES with the Most Toys WINS!!!
ICEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:23 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Novak's Best ESC?

Quote:
Originally posted by WC
Onboard programming would be cool, but imagine what kind of user interface you would need to design into it?? You'd need several buttons at a minimum, and some fancy LCD or other display screen for feedback.
Tekin used led bar and couple of buttons with the G10 and Keyences ZeroV Extreme has small 4 digit display.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 04:05 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Cyclone! Hands down the winner!

Only problem is that Novak no longer services them due to certain part no longer being available.
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:09 AM   #26
Tech Elite

When I get a new speedo at some point, I'll try out the Duratrax version of the Cyclone (unless a better offer shows up).
Old 05-18-2004, 05:10 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Novak's Best ESC?

Quote:
Originally posted by andsetinn
Tekin used led bar and couple of buttons with the G10 and Keyences ZeroV Extreme has small 4 digit display.
And CS and Robitronic both uses displays.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:30 AM   #28
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default user interfaces on ESCs

yeah heaps of fancy new ESCs come out in the last 3 yrs with onboard programming... but hanssup who can work out how to program them without the manual???

But hand the Cyclone/Atom + PitWizard to any newbie and they'll work it out quick smart.

Damned good design for a 1996 device!

Me still think GT7 is not as programmable as Cyclone. 6+1 profiles is nice, but still only 1 user-programmable profile. More would be nice, then I'd just switch between the favourite few.
www.MelbRC.org
----------------
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:23 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

I "had" been a fan of Novak for a while. My first Speedo of theirs was a T-4. My favorite had been the 410-MXC until the cyclone came out.

On the positive side of the Cyclone, I liked the 16 different frequencies that ranged from 122 to 23400. It was easy to setup and easy to program with a pitwizard.

They lost me when I fried 4 of them in one years time, one of which was my fault. Yes, I had everything correct according to instructions. Usually they would work for a while and then I would either get glitching, loss of power or have no brakes. They have a policy of sending you a reconditioned one, which makes me wonder what kind of condition it is in if it dies shortly after warranty. Sure their customer service is good because it is a way for them to take more of my money on repair.

I think my repair record is 5 or 6 cyclones. My last one went last year and they replaced it with a GT7. The GT7 is a nice unit but it is not as flexable as the cyclone. The Cyclone has 9 Hz freq under 2000. The GT7 only 2, well tecnically 1. This inflexability on the lower frequencies and repair record has forced me to jump out of Novak's Speed Controller Ship and spend my money elsewhere.

I am in the process of phasing out my Novak Speed Controllers to backup status or beyond. I have older Tekins and a 4 year old GM that has worked flawlessly in years racing which I still use to this day.

I do still use my Novak XXXL recievers and Millenium chargers. I just don't see a use for Novak Speed Controllers, when there are newer better ones out there.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:27 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Default Re: user interfaces on ESCs

Quote:
Originally posted by WC
yeah heaps of fancy new ESCs come out in the last 3 yrs with onboard programming... but hanssup who can work out how to program them without the manual???

But hand the Cyclone/Atom + PitWizard to any newbie and they'll work it out quick smart.

Damned good design for a 1996 device!

Me still think GT7 is not as programmable as Cyclone. 6+1 profiles is nice, but still only 1 user-programmable profile. More would be nice, then I'd just switch between the favourite few.
I'm not saying the Cyclone/Atom + PitWizard combo could be better or anything, but check this; I believe you only have to read the manual once, and that's it.