Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R Gear diff review

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've had no problems whatsoever with a leaking diff. I put some grease on the silicone o ring. You have to make sure you seat it properly and you shouldn't have any problems. I also used a thin layer of black rtv type sealant around the paper gasket and it hasn't leaked a drop. This spec r gear diff is so buttery smooth. I love the mod.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Way2Evl
I've had no problems whatsoever with a leaking diff. I put some grease on the silicone o ring. You have to make sure you seat it properly and you shouldn't have any problems. I also used a thin layer of black rtv type sealant around the paper gasket and it hasn't leaked a drop. This spec r gear diff is so buttery smooth. I love the mod.
So I take it you have ran it at swr already?
Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
So I take it you have ran it at swr already?
No, I ran it at Nor Cal. Didn't think SWR was open until the 27th for the TC guys.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Way2Evl
No, I ran it at Nor Cal. Didn't think SWR was open until the 27th for the TC guys.
Well I couldnt remeber if you had it in your car last time. But when did you go to norcal? And what diff oil?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

I went last week. I ran the Team Associated 1000cst.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

hi its probably been answered already but i put the diff in my t3 and noticed a fair bit of side to side movement.....have you guys or have shimmed the diff at all...or is it fine the way it is???

Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade072
hi its probably been answered already but i put the diff in my t3 and noticed a fair bit of side to side movement.....have you guys or have shimmed the diff at all...or is it fine the way it is???
Shim it, you do not want your diff to have side to side play.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anybody try this thing up front ? With some thick oil/grease you could come close to a spool. Thanks.

Last edited by jag88; 06-23-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dameetz
So has anyone run this gear diff in a MOD? Is it durable? I m thinking of getting one for my 416X. Can someone post a pic on what seems to be the problem with the gear shims that pushes into the 'O' ring thing? Also how to solve that problem?
Originally Posted by P.I.M.P
Hi there are a few running in mod at my track and there holding up nice but time will tell and you need to mod the inside of the houseing to put a larger shim inbehide the crown gear or just double up on the standed 0.1 shim
I have tried it in mod, but I have to say overall I'm quite disappointed. I already changed gears two times, because they were stripped.

At first I used 900cst oil and now I use 3000cst oil. No difference in handling!
So the gear diff itself runs very good, very consistent and great handling. But after a few runs the gears feel terrible. They grind up to each other and it is very hard to spin the diff. Almost feels like a spool. Freshly build no problems, but after a few runs it is done with the smoothness.
That's why I changed to 3000cst, in this way the pressure on the gears will be reduced a little bit.
I opened the diff a few times and saw the shims were bend like earlier been mentioned. So I replaced them, but still no good. So carefully inspected the gears, but they all look fine (this is later on in the process, because I already stripped 2 sets of gears).
So I don't know what to do right now. I have thought about other options, like changing the shims for thicker ones, but every solution has its down side.

The only thing I can come up with is to mod the inside of the housing like P.I.M.P. stated, in order to put a larger and thicker shim in it. But that will be some serious modification.

I have also tried a double gasket as well, different kind of sanding techniques (even no sanding of the gears), but all that doesn't seem to help much.

So averall my conclusion is, that it isn't really suitable for modified. Bummer.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

mines going fine still, in mod built to kit with muchmore 800cst oil. Not sure what the problem is
Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
mines going fine still, in mod built to kit with muchmore 800cst oil. Not sure what the problem is
other people aren't as smooth as you machete!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Govert
I have tried it in mod, but I have to say overall I'm quite disappointed. I already changed gears two times, because they were stripped.

At first I used 900cst oil and now I use 3000cst oil. No difference in handling!
So the gear diff itself runs very good, very consistent and great handling. But after a few runs the gears feel terrible. They grind up to each other and it is very hard to spin the diff. Almost feels like a spool. Freshly build no problems, but after a few runs it is done with the smoothness.
That's why I changed to 3000cst, in this way the pressure on the gears will be reduced a little bit.
I opened the diff a few times and saw the shims were bend like earlier been mentioned. So I replaced them, but still no good. So carefully inspected the gears, but they all look fine (this is later on in the process, because I already stripped 2 sets of gears).
So I don't know what to do right now. I have thought about other options, like changing the shims for thicker ones, but every solution has its down side.

The only thing I can come up with is to mod the inside of the housing like P.I.M.P. stated, in order to put a larger and thicker shim in it. But that will be some serious modification.

I have also tried a double gasket as well, different kind of sanding techniques (even no sanding of the gears), but all that doesn't seem to help much.

So averall my conclusion is, that it isn't really suitable for modified. Bummer.
Hey man double up on your gasket and buy some 0.15mm shims that kyosho make for the gas gear diff the part number is vz012 but the shims come with the gears as well so you might be able to buy them sepreate and if you build to what I said there is no mods and the diff will be strong as
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

ran mine in mod 4.5 all race day, built stock, xray T3

the only thing I did was add the foam that goes above bladders in shocks in the outdrive behind the cvd, like you would do to keep dogbones in. my thought was this would keep the outdrives together so the wont pull the shim out and stip the gear

worked great, serious forward bite
Old 06-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I raced mine on carpet for the first time yesterday. One thing I will say is that carpet may require heavier oils, as the car would get the inside rear light on tight off power corners due to the higher weight transfer. Once the inside rear gets light, the diff unloads if you run too light an oil, which causes massive oversteer. I did try more droop, but I think heavier oil is better. I was running 150 wt shock oil, which is admittedly thin.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
ran mine in mod 4.5 all race day, built stock, xray T3

the only thing I did was add the foam that goes above bladders in shocks in the outdrive behind the cvd, like you would do to keep dogbones in. my thought was this would keep the outdrives together so the wont pull the shim out and stip the gear

worked great, serious forward bite
Might have to run your car for the nats....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.