R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default CS Brushes

I have read in other forums about these CS brushes that give you heaps of runs (50+). People who run them can you please tell me about them. for as good as they seem I haven't heard alot about them and im curious to know a little bit more about them and how to get a motor to go good with them
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:17 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Ok here we go.

These brushes are made by CS and are some sort of a miracle.
They have a silver color, and from what I know they have a very high silver content.

But unlike the so called high content silver brushes that we know they just don't wear out.
They last forever and the comm on the motor wont show the tipical depressions close to the slots between the copper plates that you get when using brushes like 4383 from trinity or 729 from reedy.

The comm barely needs a skim after a dozen packs. And if it does it's so small that you do it on the first pass (usually one click on the scale of my hudy lathe.

The brush leaves a silver shine on the comm, and probably lubricates it enough for this kind of wear.

I've had onr Reedy Ti 12x1 using the pair of 729 that came with it and just ONE pair os CS till I had no more copper left to skim.
I'm talking of way more than 50 packs with one set of brushes!!!!

And forget the routine of skimming the comm and putting a new pair. Just skim the comm deglaze tehm with a comm stick, get rid of the sharp edges with that same stick and keep them in the motor. They will deliver the power as they did before.
They don't get blue, they keep the same softness during time and the same level of power.

Now power wise:

The tests i make on the dyno show a noticeable increse of power and torque when compared to other brushes.
In some cases with the Ti I had improvements of around 10% in power and 15% in torque.
That's quite a lot in my book!!!

They are roughly the double in price compared to regular brushes, but they'll last FOREVER. Much more than the double of the time. In the long run they are less expensive.

It sounds like a miracle doesn't it? Yes it does, but try them and you know what we mean...
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:22 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

where do you get em from?
stumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:37 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Oasis2001

Everything Antonio says is true. I personally didnt feel much difference in power but I dont have a dyno on hand. Quasar brushes last 1-2 runs with an 8 turn and the comm needs 3-4 heavy passes. These brushes are way over 30 runs a time for me and take 1-2 light skims after 10 plus runs. They are amazing.

I work in a shop and people wont take our advice and buy them because they are a lot more expensive. They keep popping in and buying their 1-2 run brushes. Fools!

Its not the cost of brushes that saves you, its the saving in motor wear.
Oasis2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Quote:
Originally posted by Oasis2001
Everything Antonio says is true. I personally didnt feel much difference in power but I dont have a dyno on hand. Quasar brushes last 1-2 runs with an 8 turn and the comm needs 3-4 heavy passes. These brushes are way over 30 runs a time for me and take 1-2 light skims after 10 plus runs. They are amazing.

I work in a shop and people wont take our advice and buy them because they are a lot more expensive. They keep popping in and buying their 1-2 run brushes. Fools!

Its not the cost of brushes that saves you, its the saving in motor wear.

Here's my method to convert people : beat them on the track, and then show them the brushes and the comm after 10 runs, even skimm your motor in front of them, you'll see their eyes do that
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:44 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to elvo

CS brushes are a miracle.

They look like they're 100% silver. But actually, the compound just has a lot of silver in it. I tested some prototypes, the main problem they had to overcome was the brush cracking and edges crumbling. but that's fixed now.
But the T-605s are super. I get more power from them than any other brush. I can't quantify that 'more', I have no dyno. And with 'other' brushes I mean everything from Orion, Corally universals or Q's, reedy 737's.

T-605's never discolor.

Wear: I get at least 20 runs out of them. I race mainly off-road, so after a few races the brushes get a little scratched, and I sometimes replace them. just as a precaution. But 50 packs should be possible.

They do leave the comm a little grey. not black or red or purple, but slightly grey. IMHO, that's silver dust. But it's not nearly as bad as with other brushes.
Also, they don't burn into the comm as badly. After 5 to 10 runs, (3 in a low-wind motor in TC in hot conditions), you skim the comm just really lightly, you just make a light pass, and it's OK again.

I get them from CS.

http://www.cs-electronic.com
elvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:07 AM   #7
Tech Regular

We have a guy here that was looking at a set of CS brushes wondering how could he get them cilindrical to put in a V2
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:57 AM   #8
Tech Master

CS + V2

http://www.cs-electronic.com/shop/cs...ors&t=temgroup

Which ones are they? High Silver? And I'm guessing they are Standup....

$11 brushes
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:10 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to elvo

Yup. T-605 high silver.

Only standup :-s No laydown available, though you could put them on a brush shaper.

Yup, 10€. It's pretty logical they cost so much, with all the silver...
But they're worth it.
elvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:14 AM   #10
Tech Master

Standup....gotta get a set of those and a Reedy endbell on my D5 now

$11 + S/H....damn.....how long do they take to get into the states.....I'm not used to having to save up for more than 2 weeks to get a set of brushes I might try to pick up some though if they really last 50 runs & produce that much power. Sounds like a sweet deal
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:29 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

CS silver Brushes are amazing. I haven't looked back after getting them. I bought mine from Oasis2001s store and oh my god, they are just awesome. I've done about 20 runs with a Tamiya Super Stock Type S Motor in my F201 and a couple of passes with a comm stick and it was a shiny as a mirror. Just amazing. I wanted that motor to last as long as possible because its a limited edition motor and its best for the F1 class the we run down in australia, so yeah, Silver brushes all the way!!!

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:12 AM   #12
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

last year at the Touring Euros in Austria about everybody was using the CS 605 brushes. Even the LRP and some Reedy drivers!
I did speak with one of the motor guys there and the main reason for running them was the very high temperatures there.
He told me the CS brushes do have a little less power than the very best brushes but no other brush is working like the CS at that high temperatures. These donīt discolour and because of a high efficiency also seem to save a little runtime.

Usually Iīm not running modified but I tried them with 27T stock motors with my Robitronic dyno and at the track. The CS brushes really have less RPMīs and also a little less power overall than some other brushes but do have more torque. Maybe this less power could be seen with stock motors only.
But itīs true with less commutator wear and working under high temperatures.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:30 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Too bad they don't make laydown style brushes.

Anybody know of a U.S. distributor of these brushes? They definitely sound interesting. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:41 AM   #14
che
Tech Regular

Schumacher USA distributes CS stuff.
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:05 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan Valdez
Too bad they don't make laydown style brushes.

Anybody know of a U.S. distributor of these brushes? They definitely sound interesting. Thanks.
they could easily be made into a laydown brush.
stumper is offline   Reply With Quote