R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Drivetrain problem

So I am building my TC3, and I am working on the drivetrain. Basically I have all of the CVDs (i think thats what their called, in a real car they would the CV joints... basically what connects the transmisson to the tires). All of them turn very easy and smooth except for one. I have through messing with it determined, that the pin which holds them together, is too tight. However the only way to remedy this is to remove the washer just before the pin. I was wondering if this was advisable (sp)? Will the pin in some way damage the bearing? Has anyone encountered this problem before?
Committed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I will take a shot at your question.

When you say the CVD doesn't move smooth, basically if you hold the assembled CVD by the end that would go into the outdrive cup, the other end that goes through the carrier and the tire eventually mounts to should flop around when you shake it around. Thats what you are getting with 3 of them I am assuming, and the other is just kind of holding still.

It could be two things if what is going on is what I described. If you had put too much thread lock on the screw that secures the CVD axle to the CVD bone it could be the problem.

Or, if there are machining burs on the axle portion that is causing it to bind up. This is what happens 90% of the time when I see this problem. What I would do in a pinch was dissassemble the CVD, take a metal file or even a needle nose pliers would work in a pinch,and file the inside of the joint to remove any burs, this should work.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Default yet another problem

Ok now I am building the turnbuckles... but first you have to thread the plastics ends onto the blue metal pieces. One end always threads with no problems, however the other end, seems to never want to thread. Is there some magic trick to this that I am not aware of? Anyone have any problems putting their turnbuckles together?
Old 05-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Re: yet another problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Committed88
Ok now I am building the turnbuckles... but first you have to thread the plastics ends onto the blue metal pieces. One end always threads with no problems, however the other end, seems to never want to thread. Is there some magic trick to this that I am not aware of? Anyone have any problems putting their turnbuckles together?
Try using some chapstick on the threads before you thread them into the ball ends. That should help them go in...I used to use a crescent wrench and a lunsford turnbuckle wrench to do it with.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: yet another problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Committed88
Some turnbuckles thread in opposite directions.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

good point fatdoggy.

Make sure you are threading the ball cups on so they actually are going on.

the AE stock ones can be alittle bit of a pain. I prefer RPM cups personally.

Did you get our CVD issue cleared up?
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Default CVD & RPM

Yes I got the CVD problem taken care of. I had to basically remove the washer, and file it down a little, so that it was thiner. Once I replaced it... it worked fine.

You mentioned RPM cups, what is so special about them? Are they not plastic or something? You are right about AE... while the car is great, assembly is a real pain in the arsch... espiecally if your use to HPI stuff.

Despite the bumps I am still looking forward to completing it. With my hands now raw and the turnbuckles done... I have only the shocks left.

Thanks for all the help, espicially fatdoggy concerning the buckles.... I was so pissed about it that I didn't even think about it.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:14 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

rpm ball cups are super nice because they are more duable.. they last longer and are just plain more beefy...plus they come in cool colors so u can match them to the kit.. most tc3 guys seem to use blue to match the aluminum..

they have blue, white, purple, flour yellow, black, and the super beefy gray ones
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:15 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

I think Schumacher Ball Cups Are good too, They are flat on top for clearance too.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

not a good idea to take off the washer .most of the time an axle binds is due to a bearing not seating in the hub ..press the bearing out and make sure the race is clean..should take care of the problem..and next time put your turnbuckles in a drill thread half them right hand and half left hand ..no more soar hands...
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote