R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Best on road car thats tough and can take 7.4 2s hard pack lipos (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/401566-best-road-car-thats-tough-can-take-7-4-2s-hard-pack-lipos.html)

mjruser 05-23-2010 05:45 PM

Best on road car thats tough and can take 7.4 2s hard pack lipos

Hello,

I just recently purchased 4 slash 4x4 for the kids and I to run, but I'm looking for something with less maintance. Our clay eats the diff bearing in 2 runs :(. Long story short I want to keep the batteries, motors, esc's from the slash 4x4's and move them to an tough reliable onroad car.

I like CRC Gen-X 10 Pro Graphite 1/10 Pan Car Kit as it can handle the batteries it looks like. The only thing I'm worried about is durablity and the cost of tires.

We have a large and quite smooth asphalt area to run on. The front straight away is bordered on the right by a concrete retaining wall...which will be hit from time to time :)

Looking for something to have fun with the kids, that's fun, fast, and less maintance.

Recommendations please.

Thank you so much for your time.
Mike

mjruser 05-23-2010 06:35 PM

Hello,

I see a lot of Associated Factory Team TC4's around and it looks solid? Looks like I could get the lipo's in it. Would the Traxxas 3500 motor work in it?

Other Ideas and suggestions most welcome.

snowman_evil 05-23-2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mjruser (Post 7445403)
Hello,

I see a lot of Associated Factory Team TC4's around and it looks solid? Looks like I could get the lipo's in it. Would the Traxxas 3500 motor work in it?

Other Ideas and suggestions most welcome.

All your gear would go in a TC4 perfectly. Would be pretty quick aswell:nod:

mjruser 05-23-2010 06:59 PM

Hello,

Appreciate the reply! If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free.

mjruser 05-23-2010 07:39 PM

Hello,

Can anyone contrast the TC4 vs TC5 as far as maintance and durability? The Factory team TC5R looks really nice, but I've never been a big belt fan.

tks
Mike

Ride1226 05-23-2010 07:43 PM

Its a real nice car your right. I have been eyeballing them for awhile. I had a tc4 and it was nice but on brushless I couldnt get the diffs right for some reason, however a spool in the front helped a bit. Its pretty durable, I crashed mine quite a few times. I was thinking about getting the tc5r as well but its gotta be durable since Id just be doing speed runs and parking lot fun which is I think what your aiming for as well.

mjruser 05-23-2010 07:52 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still reading about the two cars and the pan cars. Kida leaning to the Factory team TC5R since I don't want to run foam tires and it's 'setup' for it.

Ride1226 05-23-2010 08:07 PM

They are awesome, but pricey if its just gonna be a beater around the street. Thats why Im searching for a used setup to save a couple bucks.

Scooter79rs 05-24-2010 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by mjruser (Post 7445778)
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still reading about the two cars and the pan cars. Kida leaning to the Factory team TC5R since I don't want to run foam tires and it's 'setup' for it.

The TC5'R' is the rubber tyre spec version of the TC5 where as the TC5'F' is the foam tyre version of the car. The TC5'FT' kit was replace by the R and F kits.

I went from a FT TC4 to a TC5 FT (now changed to a TC5X) and I noticed straight at how much nicer the TC5 is to drive compared the TC4 and I've also found the TC5 easier to work on. Saying that the TC4 is still a good car.

IndyRC_Racer 05-24-2010 09:12 AM

TC4 tub chassis would be a good choice if you are going to be running outside. It has a durable composite chassis, has enclosed diff cases, and is shaft drive. Batteries are held securely in place in the recessed tray and battery bar. It is a good car for someone who isn't primarily interested in racing. If you aren't going to be seriously racing, look for a good used TC4 tub chassis kit.

TC5 (any version) has a carbon fibre chassis and is a double-deck design. Diffs aren't enclosed and it is belt drive. You should consider using battery strapping tape to help secure a lipo battery to the chassis. If running the car outside you will want to pavement with a lot of small pebbles as they can get into the drive train. If you are planning on racing competitively this would be a good choice. Make sure to get some chassis protective material to prevent the bottom of the chassis from becoming scratched/damaged.

Jeremy c 05-24-2010 09:30 AM

the sprint 2 arr is a pretty solid car with gear diffs and can hold the lipos with no mods. only down falls are the arr comes with drift tires, and the rear housing around the pulley needs to be hogged out a little so pebbles dont eat the belt but for the price @ 125 to 150 you cant beat it oh yeah get the 1.5 mm motor spacer or the bl motor wires are awfully close to the alloy motor mount hope this info helps and on road is a blast

Rick Hohwart 05-24-2010 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mjruser (Post 7445177)
Hello,

I just recently purchased 4 slash 4x4 for the kids and I to run, but I'm looking for something with less maintance. Our clay eats the diff bearing in 2 runs :(. Long story short I want to keep the batteries, motors, esc's from the slash 4x4's and move them to an tough reliable onroad car.

I like CRC Gen-X 10 Pro Graphite 1/10 Pan Car Kit as it can handle the batteries it looks like. The only thing I'm worried about is durablity and the cost of tires.

We have a large and quite smooth asphalt area to run on. The front straight away is bordered on the right by a concrete retaining wall...which will be hit from time to time :)

Looking for something to have fun with the kids, that's fun, fast, and less maintance.

Recommendations please.

Thank you so much for your time.
Mike

I think the TC4 is the best choice but I have to be honest and say that the toughest, most reliable, and maintenance free on-road car will not be nearly as tough, reliable, or maintenance free as the typical off-road car - especially when the one you are using now is on of the toughest and most reliable available.

JR007 05-24-2010 11:35 AM

If you are just bashing with the kids, a tub chassis with shaft drive is by far the best option for dusty asphalt. You don't want a Pan. I have a CRC Gen X 10 and used it the other day on the local school tennis court. Horrible. Stones in everywhere, and dust making it impossible to accelerate.
If you really want tought and reliable, go for a Tamiya TA05 if your set on belts, or a Tamiya TB03 if you want a shaft drive. The TC4/5 are great racing cars, but not bashers. There is a lot to getting them set up right, and are less forgiving being stiff carbon fibre. The plastic/composite tubs can take a hit, and also flex to allow more body roll and a more stable ride

TYLORD 05-24-2010 12:10 PM

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Cyclone S. Great price, durable, and can be upgraded to a very competitive race car.

AlGio 05-24-2010 07:24 PM

If all you are going to do is bash in a parking lot, then you should reconsider your choice in vehicles. None of the road cars will give you enough ground clearance to run in a parking lot or even down the street widthout hitting constant pebbles or whatever that will knock you around. They are designed to run on clean surfaces without cracks as you only have 5-10 mm ground clearance at max.
You may want to consider a four wheel drive off road buggy with road tires mounted on it (a shaft drive one like the kyosho will use a standard pack and not a saddle battery pack) or even a two wheel drive truck like the associated T4 with road tires