Wiki Posts
Search

VTA tire removal? need tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default VTA tire removal? need tips

Okay, I have a trans-am setup TC3. I'm close to the end of the front tire life. 4 runs on pavement with maybe 9 6 minute runs and 3 8 minute main runs on carpet. I might have enough tire left for another pavement race day.

I've heard of 3 ways to break the CA glue. 1) bake the wheels/tires at 350* for 25-30 minutes. 2) boil the wheels/tires. 3) use acetone. I wasn't intructed on how long to let them soak for.

I can't afford to buy new wheels everytime I need to buy new tires. Any help with this is appreciated. The foams do not need to be saved as the new pack of tires will have a new set.

I am disappointed in the life of these VTA tires. You'd think for a spec tire they would last you 5-6 months, not just over a month!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

These relatively expensive tires were not intended for pavement I don't think. On carpet they last for ever. Do you race any other class on pavement and how well do the tires last?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

This was the 1st time I ran outside on pavement for the asphault assult series at the track I goto. VTA is the only class I run outside of Short Course Trucks. I didn't run that today because of a shock issue. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue running the AA Series every 2 weeks. I heard the Stock Rubber Touring Car drivers were going through 2 sets of tires per event!! That's $80 per weekend just on tires before taxes, so for a set of 8 tires your looking at around $200 after taxes for just 1 day of 4 rounds of racing! Whoooodang that's insane!!

I'm thinking the VTA tires will be close to the same way.....if that's true I will not be running this series after the next event in 2 weeks. Might as well use the current ones up then buy 4 new tires and call it a day, race only on carpet.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Another guy in florida was complaining about the same thing. However, he was running Associated White and Purple springs on his car. Those super stiff springs made the tires do all the work for traction.

Any chance you've got the same problem? I'm also running a TC3 and i can get about 6-8 club outings, 3-4 months, out of a set. I run anywhere from Green to Gold on my shocks, depending on layout.

One last thing, are you buying the chromed rims? Those stupid things are $10 to $12 a pop i think. The basic blacks one are $7 a set i believe.

Anyway, some things to consider. And to answer your question, try your LHS and see if they have CA Debonder. That should work pretty good for breaking the CA glue.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

buying the black or white rims will save alot...but the baking trick works as well...but on tire life thats surprizes me alot..ive got tires Ive had from 1 year that Im running today....and they are a little slick on the inside fronts..but the rear are full even thread across the tire...check some setup on the TC3...it might be the issue...

these in the pic are almost 2 years old...my nephew or daughter use them now in our Jr TA/rookie/novice class
Attached Thumbnails VTA tire removal? need tips-wednesday-night-ta-001.jpg   VTA tire removal? need tips-wednesday-night-ta-002.jpg   VTA tire removal? need tips-wednesday-night-ta-003.jpg  
Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

if you are going to be running on carpet and asphault it would be a good idea 2 have a dedicated set for carpet and asphault

when u race a tire on carper and use compound it softens the rubbera nd the first time u hit the pavement they are destroyed

if you use a new set for pavement onlyt they will last alot longer

i know from personal experience
Old 05-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In response to the original question:

I boil to remove the old tires. It takes longer than it feels like it should, and still requires a bit of tugging, but the tires come off pretty clean. Just boil them until the glue breaks cleanly off the bead (about 20 minutes).

I have VTA rims I have done this 3 or 4 times with.

As for tire wear, I have carpet and asphalt sets. Really worn asphalt tires usually have a few more weekends on them for carpet use if you are really hard up.

My asphalt tires last 5 or 6 race weekends, with quite a few practice laps in there. If you are wearing them faster, that is indicative of a setup issue. Understeer in particular destroys tire life. I also try to minimize the use of traction compound when racing on asphalt as it greatly accelerates degradation.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Tire removal: Get an empty paint can from home depot, fill 1/2 way with acetone. If you suspend the tires above the acetone, they will come right off after a day or two. The vapors do everything, no need to submerge the tires.

As for tire wear, what is your setup- springs oil etc. Is this just the fronts that or worn or all 4 tires?

Also, no on road tire lasts 5-6 months realistically.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

1st off, thank you to everyone who has responded.

2nd, I will give the acetone a try and if that does not work I'll try boiling next. I'd like to stay away from baking because I've heard the aroma that is given off isn't all that great.

The tires were used for my carpet set with tire compound being used every time out for race days. Practice time never used any compound. If needed I can get another set of wheels and tires strictly for pavement.

And now onto my TC3 setup.

My TC3 is setup as follows;

Front: blue springs, 30 wt AE oil, 0* camber, 0* toe in, no sway bar.

Rear: silver springs, 30 wt AE oil, 1* camber, 1* toe in, no sway bar.

The car pushes in the corners but not a huge push, not since I switched the springs around. For carpet the springs are silver front and blue rear.

My car is fast enough to run with the top guys but I'm not fast enough yet.