R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Tech Addict
 
cyclone speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 621
Default Speedo, SP, GM, HB, Racing ...

Hello Everyone,

I have a few question :
#1 : From the ETS event gallery images, drivers runing mod ( Marc, Hara .... ) have a LI-PO battery and a 3.0 BL motor, isnt that freakin fast ??

#2 : What is the weight limit in most of the importants event ( TITC, ETS, IFMAR ) ?

#3 : Why do most pro mod drivers have either Speedpassion speedo or motor, or a GM motor ? why ?

#4 : I had a LRP TC spec, plugged the incorrect polarity and it got fried. Can i send it back to LRP or do I have to BUY a new one ?

#5 : What speed would you recomend if mine ( LRP TC spec ) is dead ? Are the tekin good, GM, Speed passion ...

#6 : What is the advantage of being able to connect your speedo to your PC and update it with a newer firmware ?

#7 : After friying my speedo, my lipo battery is undetected by my charger, is it dead, can i charge it with NIMH mode for a few mins then put it on LI-PO mode ?

#8 : Is the HB cyclone moor speed version still a good car ?

#9 : When i crash while racing, my car hits the wall in a chicane or a corner, it flips and then i keep on driving, does it damage the chassis of the car, flex, setup, anything ?

#10 : What gearing is best for a vector 13.5 x12 bl motor with a novak GTB ? ( range of gearing between tight track and large track , for i.e : 5.7 - 7 FDR )

LOL

Im really sorry for bothering you guys, but I hope that someone could help me and get me out of my trouble

Thanks Again
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,336
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have a few question :
#1 : From the ETS event gallery images, drivers runing mod ( Marc, Hara .... ) have a LI-PO battery and a 3.0 BL motor, isnt that freakin fast ??

#2 : What is the weight limit in most of the importants event ( TITC, ETS, IFMAR ) ?

#3 : Why do most pro mod drivers have either Speedpassion speedo or motor, or a GM motor ? why ?

#4 : I had a LRP TC spec, plugged the incorrect polarity and it got fried. Can i send it back to LRP or do I have to BUY a new one ?

#5 : What speed would you recomend if mine ( LRP TC spec ) is dead ? Are the tekin good, GM, Speed passion ...

#6 : What is the advantage of being able to connect your speedo to your PC and update it with a newer firmware ?

#7 : After friying my speedo, my lipo battery is undetected by my charger, is it dead, can i charge it with NIMH mode for a few mins then put it on LI-PO mode ?

#8 : Is the HB cyclone moor speed version still a good car ?

#9 : When i crash while racing, my car hits the wall in a chicane or a corner, it flips and then i keep on driving, does it damage the chassis of the car, flex, setup, anything ?

#10 : What gearing is best for a vector 13.5 x12 bl motor with a novak GTB ? ( range of gearing between tight track and large track , for i.e : 5.7 - 7 FDR )

LOL

Im really sorry for bothering you guys, but I hope that someone could help me and get me out of my trouble

Thanks Again
1: Not for them.
2: I'm pretty sure that ETS runs at 1350g, but IFMAR runs at 1400.
5: If you plan on running anything faster then 10.5, I wouldn't suggest the Tekin. The Speed Passion is just as fast or faster than the Tekin, and it can run down to 2.5 motors.
6: For the most part it's just being able to fine tune to the utmost degree.
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Tech Addict
 
cyclone speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
1: Not for them.
2: I'm pretty sure that ETS runs at 1350g, but IFMAR runs at 1400.
5: If you plan on running anything faster then 10.5, I wouldn't suggest the Tekin. The Speed Passion is just as fast or faster than the Tekin, and it can run down to 2.5 motors.
6: For the most part it's just being able to fine tune to the utmost degree.
Hehe, thanks for the reply, so your saying that if I want to run mod in a few weeks, i shouldnt get the tekin ? What about speed passion or GM, they are dam beasts, but why do people now run them when LRP or NOSRAM used to be the favorite ? About tye ETS, people say that hara was wicked fast due to his GM speedo , does tye speedo and settings on speedo really change alot , or is it mainly down to the motor ?
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,336
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Hehe, thanks for the reply, so your saying that if I want to run mod in a few weeks, i shouldnt get the tekin ? What about speed passion or GM, they are dam beasts, but why do people now run them when LRP or NOSRAM used to be the favorite ? About tye ETS, people say that hara was wicked fast due to his GM speedo , does tye speedo and settings on speedo really change alot , or is it mainly down to the motor ?
In this day and age, being able to program your speed control for what you want it to do is more valuable than having top-notch hardware. I wouldn't doubt that Nosram/LRP has some of the best hardware out there, but they don't have the ability to change the little things that could mean a world of difference.

About Hara being so quick; I can't accurately answer that, having never tried a GM speed control. I would think that it was more down to how he had the unit setup as opposed to what he ran for a motor.

And yes, if you want to run Mod, I would suggest not getting the Tekin. It is not an easy task to get it to run quick and not overheat. The Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro and the GM would both be great choices.
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
cyclone speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
In this day and age, being able to program your speed control for what you want it to do is more valuable than having top-notch hardware. I wouldn't doubt that Nosram/LRP has some of the best hardware out there, but they don't have the ability to change the little things that could mean a world of difference.

About Hara being so quick; I can't accurately answer that, having never tried a GM speed control. I would think that it was more down to how he had the unit setup as opposed to what he ran for a motor.

And yes, if you want to run Mod, I would suggest not getting the Tekin. It is not an easy task to get it to run quick and not overheat. The Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro and the GM would both be great choices.
Thanks for the quick replys, I appreciate the fact that you quickly answet my questions, but WHAT can you change via your PC, what extra features do yoo
u have when you setup your speedy to your PC ?
Also , as the world champ wiml be arriving soon, im thinking that there might be some new speedys coming out, do you think its worth to wait and see whats at the worlds , or shall i just get a GM or SP now ?
Also, is there any probleme connecting a lrp motor to a GM speedo ? Or a speedpassion motor to a novak GTB ?
Thank you
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,336
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Thanks for the quick replys, I appreciate the fact that you quickly answet my questions, but WHAT can you change via your PC, what extra features do yoo
u have when you setup your speedy to your PC ?
Also , as the world champ wiml be arriving soon, im thinking that there might be some new speedys coming out, do you think its worth to wait and see whats at the worlds , or shall i just get a GM or SP now ?
Also, is there any probleme connecting a lrp motor to a GM speedo ? Or a speedpassion motor to a novak GTB ?
Thank you
You can adjust throttle curve, brakes, timing, turbo, the list is endless. Honestly, at the worlds, I don't think we'll see anything much different then what's out there now. The SP will continue to be dominant, and a few other companies might attempt to replicate what they have, but I don't think we'll see much of anything new. If you're buying now, I would go with the Speed Passion. The manual is much easier to read then the GM (unless you're fluent in german, then they're about even), and there's a lot more support on here and elsewhere for the SP.

About connecting motors, it doesn't matter what brand it is, just make sure that it's sensored.
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,112
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
In this day and age, being able to program your speed control for what you want it to do is more valuable than having top-notch hardware. I wouldn't doubt that Nosram/LRP has some of the best hardware out there, but they don't have the ability to change the little things that could mean a world of difference.

About Hara being so quick; I can't accurately answer that, having never tried a GM speed control. I would think that it was more down to how he had the unit setup as opposed to what he ran for a motor.

And yes, if you want to run Mod, I would suggest not getting the Tekin. It is not an easy task to get it to run quick and not overheat. The Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro and the GM would both be great choices.
The speedo Hara was running is a game changer for mod...it appeared to me to have some type of boost in it. If you watch the videos late in the straight away Hara would reel in people, and it was uncanny. GM is doing something in their software that no one else is doing. Speed Passion, LRP, and the other have some serious work to do...or Hara is gonna dominate at worlds.

Until LRP enables software updates on their speed controls I will not buy another one.

I think your best bet right now is speed passion...
__________________
Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,336
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
The speedo Hara was running is a game changer for mod...it appeared to me to have some type of boost in it. If you watch the videos late in the straight away Hara would reel in people, and it was uncanny. GM is doing something in their software that no one else is doing. Speed Passion, LRP, and the other have some serious work to do...or Hara is gonna dominate at worlds.

Until LRP enables software updates on their speed controls I will not buy another one.

I think your best bet right now is speed passion...
All Hara was doing is utilizing the spec motor software on the GM. Nothing different then what the SP guys were doing. GM just seems to be a little more suited to boosting Mod then the stock software from SP.

Also, the worlds track this year is not a horsepower track like MACH is. You won't see the guys with the most power dominating. Don't get me wrong, it will be an advantage, but it won't be the deciding factor. Even at MACH, Jilles could gain on them in the infield but lost it all on the back straight. Jilles knows the track well, and it shows in his results.
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
RossoTorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Euro-Thrash
Posts: 400
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

How about buying a Hobbywing 120A esc?
Same same as a SP2.0 but half the cost and it can run supercharged software.
RossoTorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

As you can see from the video....BOOST, TURBO, SUPERCHARGER were involved with MOD motor, as low as 3.0T. Speed Passion has been testing/running the MOD class with the "advance" software for MOD motor for awhile....it is no longer just for STOCK motor.

Setting wise...it is all tune WAY DOWN compare to stock. And exactly how and what setup...it is complicated. I am surprise these rubber tires are still in 1 piece after the race.

It is very obvious these videos can show the different from last year MOD class to this year...their speed is like running 1/12th scale mod with a touring car body, it is INSANE and thats why these guy are getting big bucks for running that. I have never seen any TC ran faster then these in this event.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 169
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

no doubt man go with speed passion
winnppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:42 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net