R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
bvalistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: long beach ca
Posts: 453
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale Motonica P81 Electric

Trial run ... 47T spur gear...20T pinion gear...rx8 with 2650kv...2x 2s lipo 5000mah batteries in series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jwldSNT7cI
Attached Thumbnails
1/8 scale Motonica P81 Electric-img_0183.jpg  

Last edited by bvalistic; 05-20-2010 at 08:12 AM.
bvalistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
PDM
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 184
Default

Fantastic.

What about the runtime of the batteries at that speed?
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
bvalistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: long beach ca
Posts: 453
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Fantastic.

What about the runtime of the batteries at that speed?
We did a 5 minutes trial run only...just to check the car and the temperature of the motor...we finished at 167 degrees...Garen(motonica-usa.com) who's driving the car told me during the last couple laps that we are testing, that it still feels the same when we started so i know it will exceed that trial 5 min run time we did...on our next test, i will be using 46T spur just to tame down the bottom end a little bit and gain more speed on top...
bvalistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 41
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7rs3IdyJh4
karamelobcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Tech Regular
 
bvalistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: long beach ca
Posts: 453
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default 6s

very nice...another approach using 6s with a lower kv motor...i have alot of 2s lipo that's why i went to 2x 2s lipo set-up, so i don't have to buy another kind of batteries... great run
bvalistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvalistic View Post
We did a 5 minutes trial run only...just to check the car and the temperature of the motor...we finished at 167 degrees...Garen(motonica-usa.com) who's driving the car told me during the last couple laps that we are testing, that it still feels the same when we started so i know it will exceed that trial 5 min run time we did...on our next test, i will be using 46T spur just to tame down the bottom end a little bit and gain more speed on top...
Awesome video and result...congrat.

I have to agree...lower your pinion or up your spur. The video showing some monster low-end to mid-range, a little bit too much and it does make the car looks unstable and hard to drive a good line. Then the top end is soft...

My testing will be using 6S 5000mah 2050 (TEKIN) and 4S 4600mah Speed Passion 2500 slotless...will see which one is the best for 1/8th (my money is actually on the 6S 2050 system...)
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
bvalistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: long beach ca
Posts: 453
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default ^

^ no doubt that your 6s with 2050kv will be better ...
bvalistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 41
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvalistic View Post
very nice...another approach using 6s with a lower kv motor...i have alot of 2s lipo that's why i went to 2x 2s lipo set-up, so i don't have to buy another kind of batteries... great run
I have a lot of 2s lipos but when I decide to "build" the 1/8th (the car in the video is not mine, I have a DIY edam car because i donīt like the lipos location in motonicaīs car) I had to buy new lipos because i was sure this cars with 4s are worse for the electronics, specially motor temperatures... After this 5 min. Which temp raise the motor?
karamelobcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
bvalistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: long beach ca
Posts: 453
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamelobcn View Post
I have a lot of 2s lipos but when I decide to "build" the 1/8th (the car in the video is not mine, I have a DIY edam car because i donīt like the lipos location in motonicaīs car) I had to buy new lipos because i was sure this cars with 4s are worse for the electronics, specially motor temperatures... After this 5 min. Which temp raise the motor?
i hear you about temps...well so far with the trial run that we did, the temperature is at 160 degrees on 5 mins... we will be testing more with different spur this weekend and play with the timing of the speedo and will give updates...i have a 2050kv motor that i can also test on 6s,but that will be later ...thanks for your input
bvalistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
garen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: GLENDALE
Posts: 1,730
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

P81E kits are coming next week, more kits and conversion kits to come in June. I am trying to keep prices as low as possible. Complete kits are going to run around or just under $600, with conversion kits around or just under $200.

Don's car was very easy to drive, it was my first time driving an electric on road. With the spur gear and timing change I think the car will be easier to drive and faster.
__________________
bpengines-usa.com fioroni-usa.com motonica-usa.com

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
P81E kits are coming next week, more kits and conversion kits to come in June. I am trying to keep prices as low as possible. Complete kits are going to run around or just under $600, with conversion kits around or just under $200.

Don's car was very easy to drive, it was my first time driving an electric on road. With the spur gear and timing change I think the car will be easier to drive and faster.
Garen...compare to your nitro version, can you share with us the different between the two in speed and handling..? Do you find the brushless version is faster on the infield and is possible to be as fast on the straight...?

You don't need to tell us about the run time...it will be a LONG FUTURE for the brushless version to last 1 hour mains like the national...LOL.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
garen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: GLENDALE
Posts: 1,730
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

If I get to run the car again, I'll have a better answer to your question. The way the car was setup, it definitely got off the line better than the nitro car, in fact too good. The front of the body was dragging under braking, so I can't really comment on the steering and corner-entry handling, but overall the car did feel balanced and easy to drive. Straight speed was a bit lacking, but I think the gearing change and esc timing tweak will solve that and the car will go just as fast as the nitro cars on the back straight. Hopefully next time I'll get to drive it and have the computer take lap times to see how it compares.
__________________
bpengines-usa.com fioroni-usa.com motonica-usa.com

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 209
Default

Awsome!

I prefer the Montonica to the Serpent car as there are more lipo options. I would run 6s as it would be more efficient. You need more top speed also as the nitros look faster top end.
I'm gonna build one of these when the technology is a little better.
JIM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
If I get to run the car again, I'll have a better answer to your question. The way the car was setup, it definitely got off the line better than the nitro car, in fact too good. The front of the body was dragging under braking, so I can't really comment on the steering and corner-entry handling, but overall the car did feel balanced and easy to drive. Straight speed was a bit lacking, but I think the gearing change and esc timing tweak will solve that and the car will go just as fast as the nitro cars on the back straight. Hopefully next time I'll get to drive it and have the computer take lap times to see how it compares.
Yes...see you can have someone supply you a 6S powered with 1900-2050kv motor, then it will be alot easier on the motor/speedo and you can start with 20T pinion and go up to match the top speed...

I am sure the low-end with 6S is just as good...the extra weight REALLY doesn't matter....LAP TIME counts.

Once I have my 6S conversion done...I will have CHICKY to try too...he will definitely try the 4S serpent version and use the 6S as backup.

Let us know....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
HarryN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN
Default

Garen, you have a PM about the electronic conversion for the P81.
__________________
Car(s): Team Losi 22 1/10 Buggy, Team Losi 22 1/10 Stadium Truck
Motors/Engines: SP 13.5 v1.0, SP 17.5 v3.0 x2, RevTech 7.5
Radio: Spektrum DX3R, DX3S
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car Raydee Oval, Larger Scales and More 1264 03-30-2017 06:47 AM
1/8th scale Motonica smac Nitro On-Road 1830 01-16-2012 10:34 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:21 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net