Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Initiate

doess it make a noticeable difference to drivetrain efficiency?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

It will definitely free up the drivetrain some but you can free up the drivetrain by just leaving the belt a little looser and making sure you have good bearings in there and they're all cleaned out of the grease and relubed with oil.
If you're gonna run 19t, I would not cut the belt. I would only do this for stock. The belt is more likely to skip and even break when running lower wind motors. It's really not worth the trouble. I would challenge anyone to tell me that they ran any faster laps because of it either.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

to each is own i guess. i ran and cut mine and ran 19 turn never once skipped. it totally frees up the drivetrain. have i ran any faster laps because of it? no but it feels smoother.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi again.
Another question!
I was just looking on a website which offers a worlds edition cvd set for the xxxs. Can I ask what the difference between the normal and worlds edition is?

thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey losidan the world edition cvds are titanium
Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Default Anyone Still racing one of these?

I am thinking of trying to get one more season out of my XXX-S.
I just bought an Orion 3200 lipo, a GTB ESC and a 13.5 Brushless motor.

One of the problems the XXX-S had was its weight, with the lipo, that is not a handicap any more. with all cars having to add weight to make the min. I got a ton of replacment parts and I can assemble the car in the dark.

Since my driving is still pretty bad I am not sure a brand new $400-500 chassis is going to make a ton of difference.

All the setup sheets and most of the posts on this thread are 4 years old,
and pre-date lipo and brushless. I am wondering if anyone still runs and XXX-S and if so; What setup advice they might be able to give me.

also if you have upgraded from a XXX-S to a modern chassis recently, how much improvement in lap times did you notice?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Just retired my XXX-S for an E4, my set up is very very good for the XXX-S though and isnt far off. My car resides at my track but when I get a chance I will pull it out and make a set-up. Its for ozite carpet is that what you run on? PM me so I dont forget.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Initiate

hello again,

I've got an orion 4800 hard case lipo for the xxxs. It doesnt sit flat though because of mouldings on the chassis where the batteries sit to the side of the chassis. I was thinking of cutting them off to make the battery sit flat but.......

Would it weaken the strength of the chassis cutting or flattening them down.?? I've drawn some circles around what I mean on one of my spare chassis...
Thanks Guys
Old 04-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions??

what is the best setup for the xxx-s on techincal courses, it has one straight away?:conf used::conf used:
Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Default yes but

Would it weaken the strength of the chassis cutting or flattening them down.

I used a dremel to remove the those things to fit a lipo and have had no problems.
I think the tiny amount it weakens the chassis is trivial.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

"it has one straight away:"

I think you mean a "one way" Which is a kind of differential or 'hub'.

None of the XXX-S come stock with a one way, they are a fairly expensive option. The most common view is that they are much harder to drive (no front braking) and are mostly for elite drivers trying to shave fractions of seconds off their lap times.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb

No the track is mostly technical and has 1 straight away.
go 2 mikeshobbyshop.com and click the new track cam and select carpet track then you'll know what im talkin about. :smile

Last edited by RCDriver45; 04-08-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Default Sorry

My mistake.

Have you been to the Team Losi web page they have 10 or so setup sheets you can down load.

Approximetly 3 years ago on this thread, Todd Hodge went through every item on the setup and gave his reccomendation and the reason behind tht reccomendation. If you can't find it tell me and I will search for it and post it.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Default Twist or tweak

All chassis have some tweak (=twist) What people typically do is adjust the shock collars to compensate for relatively small amounts.

method 1 - use a $30 - $50 tweak station a kind of a balance with a level.

method 2 Sitting behind the car on an absolutely level surface(check it with a carpeters level ans adjust the surface) Put a thin blade or shaft under the exact center of the rear bumper, slowly lift the car up using the blade, keeping a close eye on whichever tire lifts off the surface first.
You then adjust the front shock on th opposite side until both wheels lift off at the same time.

You then repeat this process on the front of the car. I beleive the losi site has a description of this in more detail.

One thing that helps a lot is to use the search function on RCTech, using key words like in your case- chassis tweak and then make sure you change the default from threads to posts that way it will search within the thread, not just look at thread titles.

Concearning the XXX-S. I bought mine on Ebay used almost 5 years ago. If you are on a budget and you are not sure if you really want to do this race thing, then you are fine and I and others can help you make the XXX-S some what competitive.
If you can afford it or you are really serious about racing competitvely then you are better off buying a newer car. To race competitvely is going to require an investment in time and money. In the long run if your are serious you would be better off learning everything their is to know about an Xray T2 than a XXX-S.
I have a boat load of spare parts for the XXX-S and a lot of experience with it (like a Navy Seal and his rifle) I think I could dissassemble and reassemble an XXX-S blindfolded underwater)
Old 04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default ea3 hubs

Hi All

I'm looking at bringing my g+ out of retirement for a gt2 class that will be run this summer at fastcats. Horizon and the Losi site describe pn losa9762 and losa9866 as for "all x-s", stormer as "for all jrx-s type r". Does anyone know if these carriers will work with the xxx-s?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.