Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by badmojo13
as far as gearing goes and roll out, not sure the exact size of tire, so can
t really calculate that, my track is relatively small, and the guys that still run the xxx-s use the yellow spur gear I believe its 108 tooth. I've ran anywhere from a 25 to a 30 tooth pinion with a monster and I still seem to get blown away in the straights, and also just in general. I just put a new comm in the motor, spaced it the best I could, and then I am using the trinity long life brushes, with red on the positive and green on the negative, I also have an epic, p2k2, p2k, to choose from
How is the drivetrain? Is the belt free and is the tension set correctly? Also, which belt are you using? Yellow, Blue or XL Black? If you are using the standard belts (blue and Yellow,)in stock, it was always the case of you cut every other tooth off the belt to free the drivetrain. This is unneccessary when using the XL belt and pulley system.
Lots of people always seem to set the belt too tight. ITs supposed to skip a couple of teeth under heavy braking.
My advice with regards to your gearing is to ask the guys at the track if youve tried everything, see what spur, pinion and motor they are running then you will know if you have performance problems.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm running the xl black belt, car was better today, I was 6 teeth overgeared, also changed springs in motor and in car, but I also blew the bearings out of the front wheels, one out of each. car was faster, but not compared to all the new age cars that run there, jrxs, xray, etc. I think I almost might want to go 12th scale instead of getting beat this bad with this car, and I only have about 1 year and a half racing experience on carpet, so maybe that will come in time, drove a 12th scale for the 1st time today, seemed really good and the car was 4 years old that I drove
Old 11-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badmojo13
I think I almost might want to go 12th scale instead of getting beat this bad with this car, and I only have about 1 year and a half racing experience on carpet, so maybe that will come in time, drove a 12th scale for the 1st time today, seemed really good and the car was 4 years old that I drove
I also started 1/12th with an older car which was fairly competitive from the get go.

You don't have to play 'car-of-the-month' so much in 1/12th. Great competition and support here in NorCal. Hopefully, the same for you in Chicago area.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Initiate

the 12th scale I ran about 4 laps with, wasnt mine, it was a friend of mine, I was driving it after all the races were over, and the car wasnt his, but he was having esc problems so that stopped the test session, seemed fun to drive
Old 11-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Who says the XXXS is slower than the xray or ft tc4, etc.. I was using my XXXS at a big race. I was a little faster than all of the other cars in the field that I raced against. I passed Xrays, FT TC4's, etc. If your car is noticeable slower than other cars you have a problem with your car or your driving. The XXXS is just as competitive as any other car.
Just my 2cents worth
Old 11-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Tech Initiate

your going to honestly say that the xxx-s is going to keep up with all the next gen tc, I don't see it man, at the track I race at, the jrxs rules, followed by the xray 05
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A good driver with an older car is going to be able to keep up and/or beat a so-so driver with newer equipment. No question.

If he's a great driver, I have no problem believing he Whooped up on FK05's and FTTC4's. 75% of real speed is driver and car setup. Only 25% comes from car and equipment. Granted, a good driver is always going to have good equipment, but the newness of the car is minor.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Last Friday night at a local race my son TQ'ed and won stock in the A main with a XXXS, lapping all cars but 2nd place. He would have run an xray fk'05 but we noticed that it had a bent bulkhead. He was posting lap times that would have put him on the podium of the 19t class also. He was beating a field of FT TC4's, Xrays, etc.. This club is very competitive.

The last bigger race that I was at I was running 1st or a very close second in all of my qualifiers slapping down FT TC4's and xrays etc. The only time I wasn't at the head of the pack was when I was hacked.

The XXXS trakes a little work to make free, but properly done the car drives great, and a car that handles great is a joy to drive and very fast. My XXXS's were originally built by some great drivers who moved on to TC4's.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Badmojo if your car isn't as fast as the other cars on the track, I would look at my motor, batteries and gearing, esc setting, tires.

The JRXS is a pretty good car at the club level but it is not doing it at the top levels of racing. I hear Losi is working on a new car.

I have seen the XXXS in the hands of some fast drivers (Losi factory drivers b4 the JRXS came out ) and I don't think that it is at a disadvantage even today. One thing I will say about todays kits is that they have a very free drivetrain whereas you have to do some work on the XXXS to free it up.

I have noticed that even with the new supercars half of the field still seems to drive poorly mostly because of set up and maintenance. Just my experience.

The Associated car still drives inconsistently whenever I see it on the track. The only driver that I see that rocks with the TC4 ft is BB.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

im about to pick up my XXXs

and well im gonna be driving outdoor on ashpalt (slightly Bumpy)

and i was wondering what is the first thing i should do to it (settings)

thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Initiate

what would u recommend to free it up ?
maybe it is my older esc, I have a novak cyclone, and a novak atom.
its not the motor, I'm running a monster, geared correctly according to the size of the tires, and a rollout chart. I'm just very frustrated with the car and have raced it about 2 years now. I have the black belt that I just recently got in the car. my big thing right now is last time out with the car I blew out all 4 bearings in the front of the car, so my plan now is to replace all 8 bearings in the wheels now. I'm running foam tires, on a smaller tight track.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Charles - The "new car" your referring to is a conversion kit to turn the JRX-S into a rear mount car thus giving it more rear traction. Losi are unsure as to whether they are going to produce this conversion kit and to quote Todd Hodge "they are still in the testing stage." This said, a few of the drivers are still using the mid mount motor, its down to individual driving style.
Badmojo13 - How did you manage to collapse all the bearings? They do need changing from time to time and if that hasnt been done, it could explain the failure. As could using poor quality bearings. The black belt kit frees up the drivetrain no end but it MUST be used with the XL tensioner. If you have just bought the belt on its own, you will not be able to get it to fit in with the original short tensioner. You have to adjust the belt pretty accurately, too tight and it binds the drivetrain, too loose and it skips under acceleration. It is common for the belt to skip a couple of teeth under heavy braking which can give you a good indicater to whether the tension is set correctly.
Finally to put you all at ease, im still running the XXX-S while i wait for my JRX-S to arrive from USA and it is still a quick and competative car 5 years after its release. It is very forgiving in accidents and so long as you get the suspension set up correctly, it is as quick as most if not all of the newer TC's!
Old 11-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Initiate

yeah i bought the whole conversion kit for the black belt, not just the belt but the pulley as well, I have it adjusted correctly according to my lhs, I have all the suspension setup right according to factory drivers set up sheets. the bearings were never changed and since I picked up the car on the devil of all websites, ebay, who knows how old they were. maybe one of my esc's are slowing me down or something, Iwouldn't think that much, I could get this car into the 10's I think, but everyone else running everything else are running 7's or so. also sometimes I do not like the quality of the graphite parts as they tend to break under impact quite easily
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I always thought the quality of the losi graphite was pretty high. In over a year of using the XXX-S ive only broken 1 spindle and 1 rear arm (last week) and that was when a learner decided he was gonna drive straight through the back of my car after id lapped him. I have had some pretty hard hits onto the boards with the car but it has always come out on top.
What sort of tyres are you using? Do you use the same tyres as the top guys at your local club or are you using something different? Also, which setup are you using? I have loads of setup PDF's so i may have one that better suits your driving style.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Forgot to mention, esc can make a big difference. I went from a Mtroniks cirrus to a Novak gtx and gained 3 laps per run instantly. It didnt matter which settings i altered on the cirrus, i just couldnt make it work for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.