Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Initiate

I've started thinking about messing with the low roll center blocks, but I just now go my car dialed for my local tracks. The only thing I have to do different is change the rear springs from blue to green.

I also tore the diffs apart to clean them and noticed that I had it overdrived. That would explain why I had such a hard time getting most of the push out of the ass end.

Other than that, the car is a dream now that I exercise a little more throttle control, it's all about being smoooooooth.

Couple of questions though:

Does anyone have a problem with Monster Stock Pro motors overheating? I'm running 128 spur/32 pinion, and while I havent smoked one in a couple of weeks, it still gets wicked hot.

My other question is, has anyone experimented with doing away with the droop screws and just limiting the travel of the shocks? A couple of local guys do it to thiers and it seems to be much more consistant and accurate as far as setting the droop.

smoke ya later
Old 04-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Your gearing??? What size tire are you running? I always go by rollout......

Shock limiters instead of droop screws.. Almost the entire Losi team is doing this. The "ONLY" problem is when you need to change it. Must tear down shock to add another or take one away.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, I've burnt up 2 armatures so far, and a rock got in and scored the magnet so I had to get a new one, but the tracks I run are fairly tight and technical so I'm geared down for low end torque. The one back straight isnt enough to cool it when you only run down it every 12 seconds.

And yeah, I can see where it would be a pain if you wanted to change the limiter. I should buy stock in an oil company.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:26 AM
Tech Rookie

How often should you rebuild your diffs anyway? I've tightened mine several times and raced probably 9 times with the car and haven't done it yet. Should I just wait until it feels gritty?

I'm in the same boat as the madcap maj -- I just got my car dialed with the high blocks on slick asphalt and now I'm scared that putting in the low/mid blocks will throw the whole set up off.

I guess I have to move up classes to get my tail completely whipped and then get inspired to change the set up.

I use limiters in the front shocks and it works great. If you don't change tracks much you don't really have to play with droop anyway.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TC3 axial for XXX-S

Hi,

I find that when I measure the width of the tire of my XXX-S,
it is less than 190mm. I thought the width should be 190mm.

Also, I wonder if I can use TC3 Axle on XXX-S. I figure that TC3 front axle should be similar with XXX-S since there are some TC3 user that use XXX-S front steering block.

Please advise.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Madcap Magician
Well,
And yeah, I can see where it would be a pain if you wanted to change the limiter. I should buy stock in an oil company.
I limit my shocks and when I want to change shock positions I don't break down the whole shock. I just unscrew the bottom of the shock until I get the desired droop that I want. It's a pain to adjust compared to just adjusting a droop screw but there's no bumper flex to worry about.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Madcap -

Which tracks in Phx are you running your car at? 128/32 actually seems on the low side for either SRS or Gilbert...As for smoking the MH's... I have yet to see one go up in smoke without having something jammed in the motor.

As for the limiting in the shocks... what STLNLST stated is completely correct - to change the droop (if needed as the tires begin to wear as is the case if you are running foams) simply unscrew the shock end until the desired length is found.

Regards,
Wilde
Old 04-15-2003, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default Re: TC3 axial for XXX-S

Originally posted by ongbenghui
Hi,

I find that when I measure the width of the tire of my XXX-S,
it is less than 190mm. I thought the width should be 190mm.

Also, I wonder if I can use TC3 Axle on XXX-S. I figure that TC3 front axle should be similar with XXX-S since there are some TC3 user that use XXX-S front steering block.

Please advise.
Are you using the stock Losi hex wheel pieces? If so you can use the Associated hex wheel pieces. That should make the car wider if that is what you are looking for.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Yes, using the AE hexes will take the car to the limits of width - but too close in my estimation- as the stock XXXS comes in at around 188mm - and with changes in the toe - this will increase the overall width and make the car difficult to take through some tech boxes.

Kraig - You have mail

Wilde
Old 04-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Wilde,

I race at SRS, I merely "practice" at Gilbert. You know how them gilbert people are.

Anyway, 128/32 seems to be good for both SRS and Gilbert, enough torque in the turns and decent speed down the straight. Some people are faster but I just pass them in the turns. As far as smoking arms, the first time was in the middle of a race when it was still fairly cool outside, the second time I was running it back and forth trying to get the steering adjusted. The car is dialed now, so I don't need to keep messing with it.

I'm thinking about going down one more tooth to 128/31 to see the difference.

btw, too much beer = bad saturday morning
Old 04-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hey guys, i might have a chance to run on carpet in a few days. I was wondering since we will be using rubber tires if i can stick with assphalt setups or will there still be to much traction? One way or diffs?

Blake
Old 04-15-2003, 01:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Tip for you guy's running on a "small" track using the monster stock,Run trinity red springs(on your motor 11lbs)It will help on the torque and use the 4499 brushes,the motor really likes this combo.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: TC3 axial for XXX-S

Originally posted by Kraig
Are you using the stock Losi hex wheel pieces? If so you can use the Associated hex wheel pieces. That should make the car wider if that is what you are looking for.
I make my own 1mm spacer to be placed on the hex wheel. But, after I have done that, I find that the thread on the axle is too little to fit even the low profile wheel nuts. There is no contact on the plastic section on the wheel nut.

please advise.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

turn the low profile nut over... works well.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:33 PM
TRL
Tech Apprentice

Someone might want to go post over on ttt on Todd Hodge's thread as it might be bumped off the page..He actually helps alot of people out with good info!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.