Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 12:15 AM
Tech Adept

Well there I was tearing through the chicane at the club last night running second when suddenly a marshall moved across to pick up a car, no time to avoid a colision his ankle my XXXS. He limped away my car wouldn't move. The belt had snapped!!
Is this normal?? I've replaced it with a standard one but should I buy a yellow one are they better??
Old 10-24-2002, 02:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Bosscat,

that happened to me a few times...dont know why...

would the yellow belt solve the problem ?
Old 10-24-2002, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone here ever converted a XXX-S to a rally car (XXX-R)? I'm in the process of doing so, and wondered if anyone had any tips or pitfalls to avoid. So far, the rear of the car appears to be working very well. I'm waiting on the low roll center blocks for the front end to arrive so I can do the front end. I also am waiting for the new XXX-4 to arrive in stores (actually, just the parts for it) so I can get the slipper clutch for it.

Click here --->for a description of the process and pics of the project thus far; and I'll be updating it as I go along...

Last edited by sixandeightstri; 10-24-2002 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

sixandeightstri, that looks really cool, if I had a spare XXX-S then I'd convert it to a rally car. What shocks are those?
Old 10-24-2002, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

They're the Losi Rally Weapon shocks; so they're a direct bolt-on. Very convenient, no?

I bought this car specifically to convert to rally, to replace my Rally Weapon. I have 2 other XXX-S cars, they're hopped up and used for touring; having my rally car share the same parts bin will make things a lot less complicated.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

I can't afford any more cars to muck about with because I spend all my money on race cars (except my T-Maxx, which I sometimes race)
Let me know how it goes when you've got it up and running I think you should be able to run it without the slipper clutch because someone at my club was using his XXX-4 conversion in mod buggy (huge jumps) and it held up OK, after he got the Fastrax Delrin spur and adaptor!
Old 10-24-2002, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, I should be able to run it without the slipper, but I figure that since one will be available, why not? If it helps take some of the wear and tear off the belt, that can't be a bad thing.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:23 AM
OBY
Tech Apprentice

i tried my xxxs as a rally car with some minpins and the rest stock (its like a rally car in stock form!), and it handled really well...it'd make an amazing rally car, the buggy must kick ass!

LouisB: stock spur..why?

thanks to whoever explained the ackerman...i'll try it on monday.

PS: i was away for a few days..some team building thing at work...god it was hellish, like the army but with decent food!
Old 10-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Tech Adept

I'm wondering too - if I put the under/overdrive pulley in to get more pull out of the front end, maybe it will improve straightline accelleration (and pulling out of corners,) since it will be putting more pull in the front than in the rear...

?

What do you guys think?
Old 10-25-2002, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

a 41/42 w/ underdrive in the front allows the car to turn harder upon acceleration. however, there is less on power steering. so basically an under drive is less steering in, and more steering off. it will accelerate well. BUT..... it will not accelerate aswell be4ing only 2 wheels. where a 42/42 will have more acceleration traction.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

to me the over under driving with the pulley take away too much speed and acceleration, maybe you want to try to do it with foams. i like a 58mm front 57mm rear combo. many have a bigger difference with a oneway to keep it disengaged more, but i am more suited to diffs with only slight difference.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry - I meant specific to my rally conversion... do you think there'd be an advantage to using the under/overdrive in an off-road situation?
Old 10-25-2002, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

I doubt that it would make much difference to acceleration and speed by overdriving your car as there's very little grip off road (most of the time)
As a touring car I've found overdrive to give more on power steering. From my experience on a damp slippery track it was very useful because it kept the back in line and stopped it from spinning out, this could make your rally car easier to drive on power. You can always experiment and see what's best

OBY, I was wondering what spur u used because u seem to have lots of fastrax upgrades on your car, I wanted to see what someone else thought of the adaptor and delrin spur gear
Old 10-25-2002, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

Quick clarification - Overdrive = smaller gear in front?
Old 10-25-2002, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.