Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Gary,

No lube is necessary, the pins stay stationary in the blocks and the arms pivot on the pins.

Trips
Old 05-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Bringing up an old question....can someone explain setting droop using the two kimbrough spur gears? I can't remember how to set the droop using this method. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

stlnlst

Glue 2 kimbrough spurs together and set them unter the car in the front and the back. the take the kit droop gague and measure from the ground to the normal places, kinwald set his at 10 MM
Old 05-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

the way kinwald does it you don't even need a gauge. he puts the car on top of the glued spur gears then adjusts the droop until the tires just touch the table
Old 05-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Man oh man that seems like you would have a bunch of droop that way. Has anyone tried running on carpet with foams using that much droop? I would think you would be picking up tires all over the place because of the chassis lean.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

The guy that whipped on me last night did his droop this way but I forgot to ask him to show me how to do it. I figured it couldn't hurt to try as I couldn't touch him. No I have to get some Kimbrough spurs by wednesday...LOL
Old 05-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

STLNLST - Have you done much experimentation with different rear toe blocks? I have not seen many set ups where people are using less than the kit settings, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask
Old 05-19-2002, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Schuie Driver
Man oh man that seems like you would have a bunch of droop that way. Has anyone tried running on carpet with foams using that much droop? I would think you would be picking up tires all over the place because of the chassis lean.
actually it isn't as much as you might think at first. if you have 6mm ride height, this method will give you 4mm droop. 5mm ride height, 5mm droop.
Old 05-19-2002, 11:06 PM
Tech Champion

[

Last edited by STLNLST; 05-20-2002 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

stlnlst,

are you referring to rear toe blocks or front caster blocks? I thought the rear toe blocks only came in 0, 1/2 and 1 degree varieties...

If you are referring to the front caster blocks, when you run the zero are you running kickup to get some caster?

Thanks,
T
Old 05-20-2002, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

trips: thanks so that's what the setscrews are for, to hold them stationary. i didnt install them bec. i lost them
Old 05-20-2002, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default another weekend even more questions

I have a qustion about tires.

The track is a 130'x60' parking lot track. The pavement has just been sealed a few months ago. The parking lot receieves very little (if any) traffic and is kept very clean. The only preperation that is done to the track is that the very light layer of dust is blown off the track before practice. The track temp ranged yesterday from 124 deg fra. to about 100 deg at the end of the evening and air temp was a high of 60 with a low of 55 deg (fra).

The layout seems fast an open with cicanes you can arch very nicely and fast trough, but at the end of each fast section there is a very tight 180 degree turn. There is 3 of these turns that come off of high speed sections. Also the track is very smooth.

Our two favorite tires yesterday was a HPI 33R Slick with red inserts and the Yokomo ZR-138GF Beltec 5G Firm Racing Slick with Yokomo Medium black inserts. The HPIs was mounted on a HPI Type R5 wheel and the Yokomos was mounted on a Team Orion Hard dish wheel. Other sets of tires used was Jaco Yellow Caps some HPI Advans and LOSI Yellow Low Profiles.

The Yokomos was a bit faster than the HPIs for the entire run. The HPIs started the heat very well but as the heat went on they developed more and more of a push. I inspected the tires this morning and they look to have very little wear to them. They actually look about new with the expections of scuff marks no signs of flacking or blisters. The Yokomos look to me, more worn. They look a bit "flacky." Also the front tires was doing this more than the rear. I suspect that's from the additional abuse they was taking.

Is this flacky-ness good or bad on the yoks? Or should they be wearing more like the HPIs was? Or should the HPIs be wearing like the Yoks?

Also is it normal for rubber tires to to push badly while entering a turn from a highspeed section to a very tight 180?

Does our inserts seem about correct from what I've explained above?

What traction compounds do people use for outdoor racing?

Thanks, and sorry for the lenghtly post.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

jared,

yoks have great traction, but the trade-off is that they wear quickly. The flakyness you describe is typical, especially w/ the softness of insert you are using. on the track i run on, which is high-bite, i rarely use an insert softer than the yok. firm, and the track temp lately has been cooler than the 100 deg. you've described at your track.

as for the 33r's, they are good tires. unfortunately, they tend to lose their consistency even though upon physical inspection they still look pretty good.

my 138g's w/ yok firms will last me about 15-20 runs... if i'm lucky.

i know i sound like a broken record when i sing the praises of sorex tires, but they are definately the best bang for your buck. i raced through a good portion of this winter on sorex 36r's w/ hpi greens, and they lasted for long time w/ just a marginal drop in performance. obviously, 32r's hooked up better, but also wore quicker.

from what you've described about your track, i'd probably put my money on sorex 36r's w/ green inserts or yok. thin firm inserts. when it starts to get real hot, i'd try the sorex 40r's w/ the same inserts.

about your front tires, yes, those will wear faster. you can preserve them by rotating them.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

The biggest problem that I've found with Yokomo tires is their fairly narrow temperature range where you get the best performance. They generally work pretty well on almost any surface, but I find that I am often guessing as the day goes on and track temp comes up. Last year I switched to Pit Shimizu tires and I thought I had been touched by an angel or something. These tires are far more consistant that the Yokomo Beltec of Sprint tires. Lately, I've been running Take Off tires since that was the spec tire for the Carpet Nationals and I had two sets from that race. Thay are also great tires. The CS27 with the stock insert has been awesome on track temps ranging from 77 degrees to over 130 degrees (normal for the tracks I race on.) There is no way that I could run one set of Yokomo tires for that entire temperature range. I had a similar experience with the Pit Shimizu tires.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Trips
stlnlst,

are you referring to rear toe blocks or front caster blocks? I thought the rear toe blocks only came in 0, 1/2 and 1 degree varieties...

If you are referring to the front caster blocks, when you run the zero are you running kickup to get some caster?

Thanks,
T
Trips- maybe I shouldn't post after midnight....LOL That was an anti squat answer that I gave...sorry. The testing that I have done with the toe in blocks have only been with the stock blocks and the 1/2 degree put on the correct way. Right now I find the 2 1/2 degree of toe in the best for my current set up. I haven't felt the need to go below 2 degrees of rear toe in. I will try anything so if someone has a good set up with less rear toe in please post it.

Sorry for the incorrect info I will edit that post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.