Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 03-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by JitsuGuy
Curious, has anyone else had problems with the screw heads stripping out on their XXX-S? I've got 3 screws now that are stuck on the chassis. One of my steering arms broke because the !@#$ ball links are hell to get on and off and the pressure snapped the arm. Now, I can't take the arm off as the button head screw that holds it on is stripped at the head where you put the alan wrench into, and the same goes for the bottom screw that's holding the arm assembly in, so I can't disasemble it that way either. This blows.

Jits
If you have access to a dremel tool of some sort, with a thin cutting blade on it. You can allways cut a small slit so a flat head, regular, screwdriver can fit into the slot you cut. I have had to use that method a few times on other vehicles.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I plan on doing that... Thanks for the help!

Jits
Old 03-04-2002, 11:51 PM
Tech Rookie

JitsuGuy:
What kind of wrenches do you use??? I used to strip a couple before on my old XX buggy. Since I got my Yokomo allen wrenches I haven't stripped any. Also, now I can see when they starting to look damaged so I can replace them. Before they looked nice and then, skrrrech, ##$%$$!!!!! Out comes the Dremel.......

/TeeJay
Old 03-04-2002, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

I know it's my tools. They're just little cheapo allen wrenches. I need to invest in some nice tools and believe me after this little episode, I will. I'm just getting started in this hobby, so I had to learn the hard way.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

Oh yeah, and speaking of tools... Is there any tool out there that enables us to take off the ball links easier or am I doing something wrong? These things don't want to come off or go on without having to use a vice-grip. Just kidding, but yeah, they are tough!

Thanks,
Jits
Old 03-05-2002, 12:09 AM
Tech Initiate

The easiest way of taking ball joints off that I have found is to simply rotate the ball joint about 90deg using a pair of needle nose pliers. Works every time and doesnt stress other chassis members. There are tools for popping balljoints off but Ive never found them to be as effective as the old twist and release method!!

Rich
Old 03-05-2002, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by BLAZN420
oh yah, just so you people know....

if you are using low roll center blocks: you cant use the optional short shocks because your a-arms will not be able to reach the droop screws. if u use the stock roll center, use the short shocks all the way around. if u use the low roll center, use the stock length shocks. this should save some of you alot of heart ache.

peace out

With the standard roll center the short shocks in the rear are too short for the rear arms to get the stock droop setting. Doesn't touch the droop screws. How are you getting this to work?
Old 03-05-2002, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

The short shocks are only for the FRONT, not the rear...

Why would you put them in the rear anyways??????
Old 03-05-2002, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by stefan
The short shocks are only for the FRONT, not the rear...

Why would you put them in the rear anyways??????
LOL! I thought he was just joking around, about putting the short shocks on the rear. LMAO!!!!
Old 03-05-2002, 09:38 AM
Tech Rookie

does anyone know where I can get a heat sink for the xxx-s ?? If possible, a blue one ? I kinda want my car to have a black, blue and silver theme goin on. Is there any blue titanium screw set for the xxx-s ? I saw earlier somone had a bunch of blue stuff that he anodized for the xxx-s and I cant find it anymore. Does anyone know where to get the anodizing kit and how much it is ??? If someone could help me out with these questions I would really appreciate it . thanx

Old 03-05-2002, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default Anodizing

If you go 18 posts down, you'll find a pic of my car with the blue anodized parts on it.

I can do parts for you.
Let me know what you want to have done and I let you know how much it'll be.

Btw, the yellow screws are a TC3 aluminum screw kit, re-anodized in yellow.

I can do blue, purple, red, yellow, green and natural silver.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

stefan-what heatsink is that on your car? and what bumper?
Old 03-05-2002, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Is there a 6 deg. graphite spindle set available for the XXX-S. If not, does anyone know if they will be released? I noticed that Hodge was running 6 deg of caster on his car from a setup he posted.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If I am correct 2 degrees of kickup with 4 degree caster blocks will give you 6 degrees of caster.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

CRASH, true but on his setup on Tech Talk he had:

"Kickup -2, Caster 6"

So I would assume the total caster was 8 deg with 6 coming from the spindles and 2 from the kickup. I could be wrong. I think I also remember them testing 6deg spindles at cleveland indoor champs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.