Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRC Superbrain 969 Pro Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Default MRC Superbrain 969 Pro Q's

Is this charger any good? I was thinking of getting one because I really like that you can charge 2 packs at once. I haven't heard much about MRC chargers so I thought I'd ask. It around $100 which seems kind of cheap, but I shouldn't complain about the price if it's a good deal. Or should I just save up a little more $$ and get a different charger?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i have brain 959 and i think that its pretty good
Old 05-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

I aint got experience with MRC myself, but they aint got the best reputation.

But if you plan on staying in the hobby for a while, save up and get a good charger from the very beginning. It'll save you money in the long run, because batteries last longer.

The cheapest, yet high quality charger I know of, is the LRP Pulsar Sport. You can find it for 100$ in US, and it charges at up to 7 amps. I dont know how fast the Superbrain is, but if it charges 2 packs at 3,5 amps, then the LRP can do two packs in the same time, just better.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

Just checked the 969... charge rate is 4,5 amps. GP3300 performs best while charged at 5-6 amps - 5 amps for sligthly more runtime and 6 for more punch. Also, the discharge is limited to max 3 ampps, which will result in less punch.

But of course, it depends on budget and ambitions. If it's just for bashing, the SuperBarin is way better than a timer based charger. But if you want to get the maximum out of your batts, I would consider something better.

Consider this: You cant get anything out of your batteries, you havent put in them.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:28 AM
Tech Master

if your budget is only $100 id get the lrp pulsar sport.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Guys,

Pitbull X3 vs LRP Competition, w/c one would you choose? I'm more concerned in charging performance... Tnx.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Baluga
Guys,

Pitbull X3 vs LRP Competition, w/c one would you choose? I'm more concerned in charging performance... Tnx.
Hmmm.

Personally, I dont give much for the discharge function in the LRP, since it's limited to 10 amps. 20 or 30 should be better, in terms of giving more punch. But you might have a different point of view.

Pros of Pulsar: Power failure system, timed start, motor run in (but not when you charge), charge rate adjustable while charging, 8 amp charge rate.

Pros of X3: Memory slots, 3-phase charging (but it's new, so not many have experience in how to use), peak lockout.

Both have a good reputation.

An alternative could be to get the LRP Pulsar Sport in conjunction of an Indy Reactor20 or 30.