Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I thought the mazda was going to be legal but ROAR messed up and mistakenly voted against it? I don't think this was IFMAR's fault.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anders Myrberg

Thanks a million for your advise. I was about to buy the Alfa 2.0.
So I will go with the Stratus 2.0 and prepare a Mazda along with an old Stratus.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg

Hi Anders

A typical American 'World-Series' held in the US for Americans. Caddy ran in GT so is definitely not happening. Mazda 6 is still not a even a 'reasonable' example of the full-sized car.

AFN
Mike
Sounds Like someone doesn't consider our racing series legit huh!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Man there is little love for that "un-reasonable full sized" Mazda 6 in that picture...lol It is like Mazda made the car just so Protoform could get their body into the worlds....not...lol

All of this confusion and frustration does little to promote our hobby. If the people that are making choices for our hobby are so narrow-minded like some of the thoughts posted in the above posts...like the Mazda 6 quote...then they lose a lot of credibility with me. Politics and egos do more to ruin events then about anything else.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Quotes from email to Oscar Jansen of Team Orion

"Oscar, I consider you a friend. I am not doing this to attack you or Orion and I hope you realize that this is not a personal matter. My only point is that in my position I have to look out for the fairness of the event and its participants."

"As I said in my posts, most battery matchers have concentrated on the GP cells because that is what IFMAR approved. If Sanyo cells are legal Orion and maybe Trinity will have an unfair advantage over everyone else."

"The buying public will believe that Sanyo needed background legal maneuvering to win the worlds. This will not be good for your company."

"It is too late to fix this Sanyo situation. Sanyo had months to fix this problem why are they so aggressive now? If they were sincere in wanting to run the 3600's why did they not sue right away? I KNOW the 3600's that could be run at the worlds are NOT the same as what was available 6 months ago. Those 3600's were crap. The new 3600's are out of this world more powerful than the GP3300's"

Someone here made a good point. How can you expect participants to buy all new batts this close to the race? What about the teams that have been matching and saving GP3300's for this race for the last 6 months? How can they buy enough cases of Sanyos, match them and get enough good packs in 3 weeks. Its impossible and thus we should not run Sanyos at this race.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

If anyone doubts my motives in making these posts please remember that Schumacher's top driver is sponsored by Orion and has a real shot at winning the worlds. If I went along and supported running the Sanyos I would be helping him. However, its not the right thing to do.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

I agree with Oscar on the idea that 3600 batteries should be allowed. Capacity is needed for those 6,7,8 turn motors. Sanyo has not been a popular battery in the past few years and should be allowed to show up with something competitve. There is a new version of the 3300's, should they be allowed to bring them in;of course they should this is a world event.

I hope that everything is settled soon because the race is in 3 weeks!!!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Raf - Most drivers come off the track with 30-60 sec of run time even with 7T Mods. You don't know what you are asking for becuase you don't have all the facts. If you ran out and bought all the RC3600's you could find you would still have the wrong battery.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Adrian- So the new 3600's are going to be better then the GP's? All the info and reading I have done was on the first batch of 3600s that were not very good. When are the new 3600's even going to be available to the public?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Jeff - They are available in Europe from Orion and GM, in Asia from Yokomo. However, whether or not they are the same cell as what the teams have is the big question. You have been doing this long enough to have seen this before.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi All

to illustrate my earlier point:-

As at today, the British Radio Car Association - electric board homologation officer - hasn't even been sent ANY 3.6 Sanyo's by ANY importer for approval.

So these are available worldwide then are they?
(i.e. the 1st thing any UK importer would do is submit a pack..)

To further illustrate the point re homologation;

Even if cells were received by him today, they would then be posted on the next homologation list, which means they would be legal for UK National competetion use as of 1st April 2005.

This is a world championship (raced at a few, run 4), not some club meeeting, messing the drivers and officials about at 3 - 4 weeks notice is just not on.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Oh!!! I see!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by AdrianM
"Oscar, I consider you a friend. I am not doing this to attack you or Orion and I hope you realize that this is not a personal matter. My only point is that in my position I have to look out for the fairness of the event and its participants."
I won't comment on the rest of the post, but this statement bugs me. What about the fairness to manufacturors such as Sanyo?

Originally posted by Jim SpencerThis is a world championship (raced at a few, run 4), not some club meeeting, messing the drivers and officials about at 3 - 4 weeks notice is just not on. This is a world championship (raced at a few, run 4), not some club meeeting, messing the drivers and officials about at 3 - 4 weeks notice is just not on.
I agree, this is a World Championship. As such it should in my opinion be considered and handled as a major sports event. In major sport events not only the organisers and participants are important but also its sponsors and the sponsors of the participants without whom this race would quickly deteriorate into a club race.

I would hope that for future events the needs and requests from the different manufacturors will be taken more seriously and the rules are adjusted to give this important group a fair deal too.

Note that I am NOT arguing the Sanyo 3600s should be allowed NOR am I arguing they should not be. My point is that manufacturors have every right to be treated fairly just like the competitors, organisers, IFMAR and many other stakeholders.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Jim,
That is the same problem ROAR had. No one from Sanyo sent us cells to be tested either. I've been talking to George Delis who is the European Sales Manager from Sanyo and he was unclear that they needed to send them to us. So, just last week we got some cells to test. Way to late to get them approved.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Tony - Sanyo had ~6 months to address this issue. They waited to the last minute to try to resolve it...its too late. I have nothing against Sanyo. I have used their batteries for ~17 years, since the 1200SC!

Randy - Usually the US importer of the cell is responsible for sending them in. That would be Trinity in the case of the Sanyos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.