R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2004, 02:42 AM   #466
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Baker
Man I gotta go to bed!!!!lol

BTW Anders......can you make me some of those cool blue and chrome....Team Associated,Reedy and LRP decals on your machine?pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz

Barry
I see what i can do...
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:55 AM   #467
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
another question about the 1/12 bodies. Masami ran the MS-1, Yokomo 1/12 body, at the last worlds in S. Africa and now it's not approved? what happened in two years to make it illegal?
Yes I asked that question to a few guys and they are the same.

Coxy.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:59 AM   #468
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Barry, isn't it past your bedtime?

While I agree with what Anders and Barry have been saying to a large extent I do disagree on a basic premise. In my opinion when we talk about World Championships, European Championships and other races at this level, we are no longer talking about a "hobby".

I believe it is high time we started looking at this as a sport in it's own right. Not a copy of a big brother class of actual 1:1 cars. While we can argue that the Stratus 2 was never raced in 1:1 races I believe this should not even be an issue. The point being that if someone wanted to race a Stratus 2 in a 1:1 class, they can! The 1:1 rules would allow it as long as the race car meets the technical rules (and this includes body work).

Our rules should, in my opinion, reflect the same maturity. While the body should remain an scale representation of an actual car, it should not have to be a race car. It should however adhere to some technical rules such as the 40mm limit on the wings. The latter is for instance a good example where we already allow more than our 1:1 counterparts to enable good racing in our own sport. It is rare to see such big rear wings on 1:1 race cars...

The other problem is the homologation lists and surrounding procedures. Personally I believe we need them, but the rules could and should be relaxed significantly. Manufacturors should be able to showcase their bodies (they sponsor the events for a reason after all) which should include both their most popular types (e.g. Protoform Mazda 6) and their latest new bodies (even if not yet widely available). A Worlds is, next to a sporting event, also a major commercial event after all. For the drivers this is good as well. Drivers will be able to run their favourite body which is exactly what drivers normally complain about.

Anyway, I believe it is a good thing we finally have a final list of bodies allowed and am glad the list includes a few more of my own favourites.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:50 AM   #469
Tech Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to heftybone
Default This is hillarious...

Reading this thread from Moscow, Russia is quite entertaining.

You guys don't know what frustration is. Try transfering $20,000 to a landlady who can only accept Rubles. Then try and open a Russian bank account, without knowing the language. "Voi panimayete pa-angleiske?" "NYET!"

I run my RC cars to escape from the above examples of everyday life. I love to race and make my car faster and better handling. The fact that there is a governing body that regulates races is just another added benefit to this H O B B Y. There doesn't seem to be anyone stopping people from joining the organizations and having a say.

The people involved have taken the time to set up what should be a fun event. If the event isn't "fun", then maybe some people shouldn't attend.

Your favorite body isn't on the approved list? Who's fault is that? Is it the fault of the the governing body, run by human beings that sometime make mistakes? How about the manufacturer, run by more of those pesky humans? Maybe it's the Russian government who won't give me a proper VISA?! Oops...that's my issue, not R/C's.

You get my drift. Have fun at the race! I wish i could be there. I have yet to find a race track here in Moscow. Maybe I should form the Russian version of ROAR. I bet I could finally win a national race!

My pick to win is Atsushi Hara (sp?).

hb
heftybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:30 AM   #470
Tech Apprentice

@all

Mistakes have been made while applying for approval by the manufacturers, votings by the blocs have been made that are wrong. It is all a big mess.

I have here many of the email conversations, as wel the official postal votings as from October 1st, and while reading it you can only cry. No Protoform Mazda 626 allowed (declined by ROAR!!), no Sanyo 3600. A body and batteries that are worldwide for sale, and used at races for already more than half a year can not be used. Other items are allowed although they should not be.... a bit weird situation.

BUT, one thing has to be taken in notice. The officers working for IFMAR do this work not as their official job. With the pressure form manufacturers its also a hard job. Result is that the Electric IFMAR chairman has resigned from his job since last weekend. He had enough, which is sad.

Sure is, it is time for a change. A fresh wind. But who? Barry? Anders? Myself? Finding somebody competent, who can also be seen as independent is hard to find. Dallas (EFRA President) would be a good example. I think Heiner did the job the best he could. But being responsable for approvals where a lot of money is involved is not easy.

There is a meeting at the race in Florida, maybe we should give ideas or opinions here as racers. If we do not say IFMAR what we want, there will never be a change!
Oscar Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:23 AM   #471
Tech Regular

I completely agree. While I argued for different rules I am not so certain the "blame" for the current situation should be directed at IFMAR. I have seen the same e-mails Oscar has, and I can only say that I am surprised about the miscommunications (or should I say misreadings/interpretations) that to me are very apparant. Clear communications are key and personally I feel IFMAR did a good job given the circumstances and the existing rules.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:49 AM   #472
TLRacing

Barry-Email me and I will show you a pic of a Skoda TC.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:54 AM   #473
TLRacing

Why can't there be officials who are paid to do this? ROAR and IFMAR both need people that are paid to do a fulltime job. I can understand why Heiner resigned. Why should he put up with all the BS? If we want these races to be a real professional event then it is going to take the racers paying a higher membership fee and the manufacturers paying into this as well. I wish all the manufacturers would get over their big ego's and all get along so we could have a REAL PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION!!
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:04 AM   #474
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Welcome to the Worlds Racing Eddie!
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:35 AM   #475
ml
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ml Send a message via Yahoo to ml Send a message via Skype™ to ml

Just to lighten the mood...

Although I'm disappointed I can't run the TOJ (I may even have an unpainted one somewhere), I'm glad I can still use the Nissan NPT90.

I'm still for handout bodies (makes luggage smaller and lighter), a handout can of Pactra, and a non-ventillated room for all to paint the monocolor scheme.

/still looking forward to the race, and sorry for being part of the problem rather than the solution
ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:37 AM   #476
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by T. Hodge
Barry-Email me and I will show you a pic of a Skoda TC.
The Skoda was shown at a Touringrace at Brno ( Czech ), but it was a mock-up that never raced due to lack of budget.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:40 AM   #477
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Got an email from ROAR saying they mistakenly voted againt the Maxda 6. It was ROAR's vote that nixed the 6. I have no idea if ROAR's correction email will have any effect on IFMAR.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:55 AM   #478
Tech Addict

It was ROAR's vote that nixed the 6

LOL... Now that seems perfect..... ;-)
Old 10-05-2004, 09:01 AM   #479
Tech Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to heftybone

"Why can't there be officials who are paid to do this?"

This is a hobby for most people. I think it's still true that 90% of RC cars sold are just for "bashing". Todd, you would know if that were still the case, since you work for Losi/Horizon, where you collect that sort of data, right?

There is always pressure to drive down costs, and paying someone to administer races isn't condusive for many companies. It's up to the organization to do what it needs to do to get those "paid" positions you want. That means running races and having some kind of appeal to attract "money". It takes a smarter man than me to figure out how that will happen.

In the mean time, I'll just sit here waiting for my spare parts to arrive, so I can go out in the street and hit another suspension breaking curb.

hb
heftybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:12 AM   #480
Tech Fanatic

Todd, My bad......it was late and I just came up with a few bodies...I do remember you showing me one way back when you designed it...sorry...like I said I wasnt trying to pick on any one manufacturer...

Barry
Barry Baker is offline   Reply With Quote