Old 09-13-2004, 08:33 PM   #332
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Josh, you guys need to unionize!
Old 09-13-2004, 08:45 PM   #333
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

That would not be too different from what the action-sports athletes have done in the past year....

The economics are not same but the drive seems to be universal.

The major theme: "The first order of business is to ask event owners for consistent rules and regulations and minimum standards for officiating the sports. "

http://www.proriders.org/frame_main.php

Here is the press release:

Action-sports athletes trying to organize
January 22, 2004 @ 11:14 AM

By LIZ MULLEN AND NOAH LIBERMAN
Staff writers- Sports Business Journal

A group of action-sports athletes is signing up members to a new sanctioning organization,
which intends to seek increased prize money and standardize rules for the sports of skateboarding, BMX and freestyle motocross at major events, including ESPN's X Games.

The group, called Pro Riders Organization, is being launched at a critical time in the action-sports world, following last week's news that Casey Wasserman's Wasserman Media Group is circulating a letter to commit athletes to a tour it hopes to organize. It appears Pro Riders would be a competitor to Wasserman's group.

Pro Riders Organization, which has signed up about 50 members, plans to start negotiating
with major action-sports events in the next few weeks, said Ed Shapiro, a Los Angeles entertainment lawyer who is helping the athletes organize.

Several sources said the group will meet with NBC this week to discuss the network's planned action-sports tour, which is to launch in late 2004 or 2005. With NBC on its own and no longer under contract to televise the Gravity Games, it's clear there is a push in the industry to consolidate power where both athletes and events are concerned.

Shapiro said the group plans to discuss increasing prize money with event organizers but does not plan to issue demands right away. The first order of business is to ask event owners for consistent rules and regulations and minimum standards for officiating the sports.

"There is not any body, a controlling or sanctioning body, that takes into account what the riders themselves feel is important," Shapiro said. "There is strength in numbers, and the only way these guys are going to have a voice is if they gather together in some sort of collective. Call it a union. Call it a membership organization."

The group, led by skateboarder Chris Gentry and skateboarder and street luger Biker Sherlock, has been working to organize for more than a year. Shapiro said the group has lawyers working to form a nonprofit corporation and has funding, but he would not reveal the identity of the financial backer.

Gentry said a lot of action-sports athletes, who have depended on sponsor money for their livelihood, are struggling, especially as sponsors in the last two years cut budgets in the down economy. "I mean, I am one of them. I am top five and I should not be having to struggle," he said.

"We are building a brand for us. X Games has a brand, but we don't get any of that [value]," Gentry said.

Shapiro said, "We believe we will be able to build a brand that will be able to license merchandise." The organization is not charging dues, but may consider it in the future. It also intends eventually to charge sanctioning fees for the events it sanctions, Shapiro said.

The group was not planning on publicizing its effort yet, but Gentry and Shapiro agreed to talk about the plan after SportsBusiness Journal obtained a copy of the membership agreement given to athletes. It states, in part, that the athlete signing it agrees to "compete solely in PRO 'Sanctioned Events.' " Some contracts allow members to participate in events when they already have
contractual obligations.

Shapiro acknowledged that the membership agreement, as it is worded now, could keep an
athlete out of a major event, such as the X Games, if PRO did not sanction it. "We are an new entity and we haven't gone out there and endorsed anything. If I were to tell you we endorsed the X Games [without negotiating with the event], that would go against one of the principles of the organization ... to have a unified voice in connection with the events.

"The reality is we are going to sanction most, if not all, the big events out there," he said. Wasserman, who distributed the other letter circulating among action-sports athletes, would not comment for this story. Steve Astephen, CEO of action-sports representation firm The Familie, which Wasserman owns, said he and Wasserman want to meet with the Pro Riders and work together to form an action sports organization or league. "It is the best thing for the athletes to do as a group, and it needs to be done to control their future," he said.

Astephen said the Wasserman Media Group could provide the effort with experience in negotiating television and sponsorship deals, as well as financing and an organized infrastructure.

Gentry and Shapiro said that while they would meet with Wasserman and Astephen, they don't think agents should be part of organizing the athletes group. "Players organizations have
historically worked hand in hand with agents but they serve different roles," Shapiro said. "Keeping a definite line between those two roles is important."

According to sources, NBC will meet with a separate group of athletes and agents on the West
Coast this week and plans a similar East Coast meeting in the near future. NBC spokesman
Kevin Sullivan would not confirm the network's specific plans, but said, "As part of the due
diligence [of creating a new tour], we are meeting with athletes."

Go Back
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:20 AM   #334
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ixlr8nz
John: Just wondering why do you need a 12v battery and a gas iron and all that? Isnt there 110v ac supplied so all you will need is a power supply and 110v iron. Maybe you have more info than I do.

Mike
Well the problem is that in E.U. we use 220v. In this respect buying a 110v power supply will be useless for me after the race. In addition I trust more the 12v battery and I might be carrying TAMIYA's 7.2v soldering iron which if connected on the 12v battery is incredibly powerfull and thus I can work on my V2 endbells without a problem

And in the end I will connect my R/C car to that 12v battery with special "stealth" wires and I will have the fastest car on the track!.
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:25 AM   #335
Mag
Tech Initiate

I just bought Schumachers new 10A power supply. It's switchable between 110 and 240V. All one need is a US type power cable.

Magnus
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:48 AM   #336
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well the only Power Supply that seem suitable to my needs are Competition Electronic's & Radio Shack's 23amp. But still I would perfer to buy a 12v battery and a cheap charger for it and then just leave it to anyone who needs it.

I prefer that instead of carrying on the plane a heavy power supply.

But yet again by the time I start packing I might think differently and end up with a power supply.
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:59 AM   #337
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by John Doucakis
Well the problem is that in E.U. we use 220v. In this respect buying a 110v power supply will be useless for me after the race. In addition I trust more the 12v battery and I might be carrying TAMIYA's 7.2v soldering iron which if connected on the 12v battery is incredibly powerfull and thus I can work on my V2 endbells without a problem

And in the end I will connect my R/C car to that 12v battery with special "stealth" wires and I will have the fastest car on the track!.
John

Most power supplies are switchable between 110v and 220v.
Ones like Team Much more put out 22 amps, are switchable between currents, use a simple computer cord, and weigh less than a kilo, price is also very reasonable. But im sure there are many others out there that cna be switched.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:19 AM   #338
Tech Master

Besercoe,

I love your sig. So true !
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:15 PM   #339
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
I just recieved this from IFMAR:

Dear Mr. Cyrul,

regarding the CRC-body I have to state, that Calandrta Austria
has send the body in time to me (received on 21st of June) and I
checked the availability with one dealer in Austria.

In our email correspondance on 18/19th of June (see below), you
told me, that you will send bodies for approval. Finally I did not got one and therefore none of your bodies is now in the IFMAR
Approved Body List for 1/12 and ISTC.

Regarding the email send by John Grant to Parma, the subject
clearly specifies, that this concerns the 1/10TH IC 200MM
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP and not the IFMAR Electric Rules.

Best regards
Heiner Martin
IFMAR Electric Section Chairman
So the CRC body that they just started telling people about today is IFMAR legal?
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #340
Tech Fanatic

Well I looked on another forum and found this in regards to the New CRC Courage C60 Evo3:

"It's being inspected for ROAR approval as we speak. Already approved for EFRA & IFMAR."

Anyone ever seen this new body yet or used it?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #341
Tech Fanatic

Another thing is what would the ROAR approved body list have to do with 200mm gas worlds thata re being held in Brazil not in the US?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:59 PM   #342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I just hope that they get this whole mess worked out because I would hate to see something drastic come of this like a boycott or something.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #343
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Adam Hartzell

Josh--Sory to hear about the body issue. Next they will say that your car isn't legal. LOL

And how does a CRC body that no one has seen become legal? Thats what I realy want to know.
Adam Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #344
Tech Apprentice

CRC have made the shell sent it to IFMAR with the relavant paperwork and pics of the car and wait for a decision from IFMAR.

the shell is leagal for use in the UK National Series the same process as listed above was used the shell was supplied with pics of the original car,Having spoke to the UK Importer AMC he is going to order the shell and once he has it in stock I am sure the shell will be a hit with the drivers.

Alan
a.curry64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #345
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
To understand the Power Trix devices....they function like a capacitor to a degree, but they are attached at a different spot on the motor.

ROAR ruled they were a legal modification to a ROAR approved arm....I could never get a response from IFMAR.

Later EddieO
Eddie

What do these actually do and what is the advantage of these things?

Cheers
Nathan
NR is offline   Reply With Quote