R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2004, 07:54 PM   #2086
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Francis
I am looking for the videos of the A-mains at the Worlds. I think they are on here, but not sure where. I really didn't feel like searching 40+ pages looking for them. If someone can asssit me in the location of these I would appreciate it. Thanks MF
http://homepage.mac.com/djcroy/2004_...Sharing16.html

but i think there qualifers, and pit areas.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:50 PM   #2087
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Excellent points

...And good job at the On-road worlds Adrian!

I like the smooth driving theory, Alot of drivers used to use that at Whipporwill back in the day, as well as other on-road races(i've been racing since 1984'ish). I heard drivers go on and on about throttle driving and how they "saved" battery time and drove in varying levels to allow the batteries time to recover during thier A main runs.......I was alarmed when they found batteries that had been reshrink wrapped back in those days.

I'm glad that today we have the technology to weight cells precisely to assure thier legality.

Marc Reinhardt is an AWESOME driver, I can't imagine having Masami, or Hara, etc. 10 inches off my bumper for 4 or 5 laps, or more, in a row!

Rumor in the pits is that some ran 6 turns motors, but I didn't see that myself.

so many different brands being able to run the fast laps was good to see as well.

Once I see drivers at events like this willing to swap batteries with racers in the C,D, or E mains beforehand i'll believe the batteries aren't a factor........LOL, Jim
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:59 AM   #2088
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't believe anyone was trying to convince you they aren't a factor. They are. What some of us are trying to convey is that if you have good off the shelf batteries and are a driver that can drive as well as people like Marc Rheinard, Atsushi Hara, Greg Hodapp or any other regular top 20 driver you CAN make the A-Final.

No-one said it would be easy and no-one said it would not be easier with the batteries used by sponsored drivers. But, I know that if we give your batteries and motors to Marc and give him some time to setup the motor to his liking he will be only a handfull of seconds after 5 minutes if that. The difference is between 2 and 4 seconds after 5 minutes. Marcīs fastest run at Worlds was a 24 5:05 I believe, meaning he would have done 24 5:09 with your stuff. Still good enough for the A...
Old 11-13-2004, 05:42 PM   #2089
Tech Elite

I suppose this is where we don't agree, it's fine that way. I know of several Factory supported travel team drivers who could not make runtime running the same wind and gearing....These were drivers using batteries that were likely better then any sold in stores, but by only a few seconds perhaps. There were another tier of drivers with batteries above those. Not illegal obviously, just the cream of the crop, not available to everyone.

I guess my problem is i'm too nieve to not say anything about what I have seen and heard*. I guess on-road will always be this way. The only class where it's is even more of a factor is Oval. But I won't even get into that, .......*I'm learning though.....Jim
Old 11-14-2004, 12:06 AM   #2090
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jim - I'm sure you have noticed that sometimes driving harder and trying to go faster ends up slowing you down. With any given setup on a car it will only go as fast as it can. Pushing it more will only cook your motor, deplete your batts and slow you down. Quite a few racers felt this was a major part of the dumping problem in the lower mains and in the back half of the A's

In the A's there were the top 4 cars/drivers then there was everyone else. The top 4 cars were set up to be very efficient. They didn't scrub speed in the corners, they had plenty if steering and they had gobs of power. Take a car set up like this and add a driver with the self discipline to drive within the cars envelope and you have World's winning combo.

Did they have the best batts on earth...you betcha. Can you buy the same stuff....you sure can. But you will have to get them from a reputable small matcher that cycles tons of cells like Fusion, Promatch, Pole-Position. All the big boys hold on to their top stuff for their teams. The smaller matchers either have no team or a small one that doesn't use up all the top packs. You can get top packs...just be prepared to part company with a lot of Andrew Jacksons!
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:24 AM   #2091
Tech Elite

Adrian, good points, I know how all that works and alot is very true. Talking with some racers at the past few events i've attended has prompted me to start running FUSION batteries. They seem to have the best available to the company for sale to the consumer and even more importantly, the numbers on the labels are actually what you get!!!

Maybe now the dumping problem won't be such an issue for me, so I can stop whining, LOL........ttyl, Jim
Old 11-15-2004, 08:20 AM   #2092
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

It has to be the batteries -

Jim and I know a guy at that race that runs for Company X, and he dumped every time out with the packs his sponsor provided him for each run, brand new packs each run. After tiring of this BS, he covertly ran a packs from another matcher in 2 of his qualifiers, and magically didnt dump.

I guess he just decided to drive smart and coast more when he had the other brand of packs in his car.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #2093
Tech Addict

Hmm, lots of arguing which I won't comment...

But I can give you input on this issue:

- Daisuke Yoshioka, the guy that finished 2nd behind Marc, oh no... that finished 3rd after those blind referees gave him the penalty... was using my stuff (LRP).
- He was using an 8x2 Ti based motor geared at 8.6, using our P-brush, 5mm timing (like 15°) and hard springs.
- Yes, he used good batteries that were probably the best we ever matched.
- He came off the track with something like 300-400mAh in his packs every run!!!

Certainly you can't buy packs like the ones Yoshioka had in a shop, but the ones you can buy are not more then 100mAh off in capacity then what he had. Voltage would be pretty much equal!
Guaranteed you'd be able to WIN a world-championship today with batteries off-the-shelf if the rest of the package is sorted out.

Way more important then anything else at the Worlds was proper charging of the cells. Correct gearing. Right brush. Right motor setup.
And of course the right driving style...

So please stop crying about "illegal" batteries...
Old 11-15-2004, 08:51 AM   #2094
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

There will always be cry babies!

And usually they will be the guys that never went to the event! So at this point the race is over give props where they are due to Rhienhard! every one else just got owned! Just a lesson learned if they were paying attention!!! Maybe everyone will be awake next worlds and have their sh!t together. You got 2 years people your wasting time crying! They are ahead at this point!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:51 AM   #2095
Tech Elite

Tim, OUCH!, LOL, I was trying to hold some stuff back*(see above).........Drive smooth young Jedi.

Maybe at the next worlds to prove batteries don't matter as much as smooth driving we'll have the D, E or even F main and A main guys switch batteries before the mains.

Driving skill is obviously a main factor, but if it's not about having some kind of advantage(tires, batteries, body, weight) why don't the spec classes, with batteries, motors and vehicle all controlled ever do well in racer entries?

All we're saying is, racing at the top level is about having the ability, training, equipment and everything else needed to be the winner. But, let's not fool ourselves into thinking the same equipment is available to everyone.......Of course, it's simple, the faster the driver(regardless of how "smooth") the better equipment the manufacturers provide to that driver, so there are even different levels on the same team of Factory sponsored drivers........Yet we can say the average racer can buy thier best batteries, when the lower level Factory team drivers can't get them at the worlds?......com'n guys?...............LOL, Jim
Old 11-15-2004, 09:00 AM   #2096
Tech Elite

Reading is fundamental, nobody said the batteries were "illegal"....

Nobody is arguing that i'm aware of, just making opinions known......nothing wrong with having a different opinion then you do, is there?

Nobody on one side is "crying" any more or less then the ones who are "crying" about "crying"....kind of ironic, huh?

Isn't R/C toy car racing fun......the fast guys are wrenching rather then reading and posting on boards like this.

I will never take anything away from Marc for winning the worlds, the man is an Fantastic, obviously world level racer! After all he was able to crash in A main #1 and 2, but still won the race! That takes ability far and above the competition...........Congrats to Marc, Tamiya and Orion for sure!!!......Jim
Old 11-15-2004, 11:32 AM   #2097
Tech Regular

I think if you guys would discover "girls" you wouldnt be arguing about toy car batteries.
mosieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:39 AM   #2098
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by mosieur
I think if you guys would discover "girls" you wouldnt be arguing about toy car batteries.
i wished i had a girl friend.*thinks.mayb no i wud still rather my 'toy' car lol.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #2099
Tech Apprentice

Default Hara's driving

I feel like Hara's driving style would necessitate quite a considerable amount of auto brake/drag brake...
RC12L3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #2100
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by trf racer
i wished i had a girl friend.*thinks.mayb no i wud still rather my 'toy' car lol.
True probably cheaper.......altho Ive been with alot of cheap girls
mosieur is offline   Reply With Quote