R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-09-2004, 07:01 AM   #2071
Tech Fanatic

I remember Doseck bought a new battery in Cleveland at the Hobby shop and then won the race with it a couple hours later. I also saw Hara and Chad Bradley buy nitro engines at the hobby shop and win with them that same day. It really is about the driving. I have made some A mains against some top pros. I have even run faster single lap times than the entire field but David Jun ran .1 sec slower for his fastest lap than I did, the difference was 27 of his 30 laps were at that speed and I could only match my fast lap 10 times with the rest being a few tenths slower. Consistant would be the word for David and that's why he won. And if you think his equipment is that much better, well I ran my fastest lap (fastest of everyone at the event) at around the 4 min mark of the main, so my batteries must have been pretty good too.
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:52 AM   #2072
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check out the new videos at my friend's website

www.radiocontrol.gr
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:15 AM   #2073
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by John Doucakis
Check out the new videos at my friend's website

www.radiocontrol.gr
Hey men, these videos are awesome!!!
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #2074
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Tony, very good points. Most of the drivers i've talked with (at the worlds) felt the 2004 on-road worlds was the same as most. There was a battery advantage for a percentage of drivers and some obviously had problems even with good batteries that can't be controlled. Even though the disparity may change from year to year, my point was that it does still exist. Even though the batteries have gotten good enough now that they aren't "as much" of a factor off-road, they most certainly still are on-road at the highest levels.

I know of factory drivers who ran a wind lower and a pinion up, without dumping, compared to factory drivers from other teams, who dumped in spite of thier conservative settings(one wind higher, one pinion smaller). Not a complaint, just an observation on my part.

A driver is definatly not "fast because they are sonsored, they are sponsored because they are fast". But any driver can only reach a certain level on thier own, then sponsorship takes them the rest of the way, especially if they want to make R/C thier life.

My point is that with technology and the constant battery improvements, along with added expense for them, nothing has changed much, except we run 5 minutes again so batteries remain more of a factor...................I just wonder if we have handout tires to try and see who is the fastest driver in the world, why not hand out batteries?...or Bodies?...Or cars?.....just a thought, Jim
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:37 PM   #2075
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

One other point, since driving is such an important part, consider this. Did any of us hear of Ryan Cavalieri(just one example) 5 years ago? He raced and was a protoge' of Brian Kinwald for a while. BK showed him the ropes, helped him with equipment and chassis, confidence, etc....Little by little, with help, he became a world champion who now gives his mentor a tuff time at any given race.

He had just as much driving ability when he started racing, but did not have the tools to use his ability to it's fullest, so I wonder how far he would have gotten without help?

How many other drivers out there would be world champions given the same chance............."sponsorship" does make a difference....Jim
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #2076
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by W.E.D.Jim
One other point, since driving is such an important part, consider this. Did any of us hear of Ryan Cavalieri(just one example) 5 years ago? He raced and was a protoge' of Brian Kinwald for a while. BK showed him the ropes, helped him with equipment and chassis, confidence, etc....Little by little, with help, he became a world champion who now gives his mentor a tuff time at any given race.

He had just as much driving ability when he started racing, but did not have the tools to use his ability to it's fullest, so I wonder how far he would have gotten without help?

How many other drivers out there would be world champions given the same chance............."sponsorship" does make a difference....Jim
Good points Jim, but, with what you said it sounds more like its not the sponsorship but who you know that helped in his case.

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:35 AM   #2077
Tech Regular

Yes I agree. With the right help to "learn the ropes" you can go a long way.

I remember years ago making my first international A-Main (Corally International 12th scale). The key to making the A was one set of tight corners (90 degree turn followed by 180) that I took by blipping the throttle between the 90 and 180 turn. I did that until Oscar Jansen suggested I stay off throttle until halfway through the 180 instead of blipping it in between. As a result the car was more stable, stayed on line and carried more speed through the set of corners. It shaved 2/10th of my laptimes and added runtime to boot.

This is what makes the difference. My making the A at the 1996 PRO10 Euros was a direct result of this lesson. Before the event I thought long and hard about how to drive the track and found a similar set of corners that would make all the difference in laptimes.

This has nothing to do with how good your batteries are (assuming you have 2-4 relatively new good of the shelf batteries). It has to do with driving ability, car setup and nerves. Once you get all that straight the final 2-4 seconds you need to shave off to win races will come from the batteries and motors. But even in this years Worlds, if you drove well enough to be only 4 seconds of the pace of Marc Rheinard you would've made the A!

As to the differences between teams-drivers, there are many reasons. Clearly Orion/Peak had their act together, but even between these drivers there were many differences in motor wind and gearing. For one thing the efficiency of a cars drive train is an important factor. As is the traction the car generates (more traction = less runtime). The driving style is probably the biggest influence. Jilles and I often run the same motor and comparable batteries. Nevertheless he usually has 200MaH more left than I. This means he can gear higher and still make his time easier than I can. Why? Because he is the better driver...

Let me put this in other words. If you go to a race thinking your equipment is not good enough to make the A, YOU WILL NOT MAKE THE A!
Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 AM   #2078
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At the Worlds battery run time as all about efficient car setup and throttle control.

Every singe driver at the event said the same thing. The harder, more punched you drive the slower your lap times will be. The track rewarded drivers that did not over drive their cars. All the top driver were running 7x1 or 7x2 motors and they were literally just blipping the throttle in the straight and short chutes then coasting for significant portions of the track. The motors got their cars up to the proper speed very fast and there was no need to hold throttle deep into corners. This type of driving take a tremendous amount of discipline and self confidence. More than ever this Worlds proved the old adage that you have to go slow to be fast.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 AM   #2079
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
The harder, more punched you drive the slower your lap times will be.
Good thing I didn't go I drive punched out of my mind hehe.

Adrian, I didn't know you fly planes. I believe that I read one of your formosa posts on rcgroups or rcu. Ironically enough, I'm building one now...and it's gonna be punched!
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:34 AM   #2080
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup. I fly planes too! My Formosa is stupid fast (for a foamy). Probably a little over 50mph. I love doing full throttle passes a foot off the runway!
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:30 AM   #2081
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
Good thing I didn't go I drive punched out of my mind hehe.

Adrian, I didn't know you fly planes. I believe that I read one of your formosa posts on rcgroups or rcu. Ironically enough, I'm building one now...and it's gonna be punched!
You may not have been in FL but the guy driving your war paint your car body look good!

I was a little worried to see the Rodzilla next to me in during T time.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:30 PM   #2082
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by MDawson
You may not have been in FL but the guy driving your war paint your car body look good!

I was a little worried to see the Rodzilla next to me in during T time.
Apparently, Mark's grammar checker thingy won't work on Fridays

I'd like to think that light blue, yellow, and white (OG Williams) would be me. The blue on blue on white would more closely match Jun with all of his Yamaha stuff But now he's back to the schoolbus roots with his NSX
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:38 PM   #2083
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Matt Francis

I am looking for the videos of the A-mains at the Worlds. I think they are on here, but not sure where. I really didn't feel like searching 40+ pages looking for them. If someone can asssit me in the location of these I would appreciate it. Thanks MF
Old 11-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #2084
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Francis
I am looking for the videos of the A-mains at the Worlds. I think they are on here, but not sure where. I really didn't feel like searching 40+ pages looking for them. If someone can asssit me in the location of these I would appreciate it. Thanks MF
http://www.teamorion.com/media.asp#video

they havent added A2 and A3 yet.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:45 PM   #2085
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Do you guys think Matt likes red?